The Bass-ment

Vintage atmosphere! 1968 Hofner 500/1

yesterday my friend Nino surprised me by bringing this beautiful instrument from the 60s to my house, to be precise 1968: Hofner violin bass 500/1. Very beautiful aesthetically and exudes vintage from all pores, fully functional. The sound seems very versatile and is very warm and precise. I hope they can follow videos. In the meantime, I take some shots, I did some general cleaning ....

Cool bass Paolo,i had a 68 myself,dad and i bought it between us back in the late 80's,always wish i'd kept it.

Very cool. I remember back in the mid-80's when I was frequenting the music shops in Denmark Street on a regular basis you could guarantee on seeing half a dozen of these in any one shopping spree. Strangely they all seemed to be £185.00.

I have never seen those knobs up close. Solo(Lead)? On a Bass? That's different.

That's a very clean guitar.

I have never seen those knobs up close. Solo(Lead)? On a Bass? That's different.

That's a very clean guitar.

– Suprdave

Very cool. I remember back in the mid-80's when I was frequenting the music shops in Denmark Street on a regular basis you could guarantee on seeing half a dozen of these in any one shopping spree. Strangely they all seemed to be £185.00.

– Deke Martin

We paid £250 for ours,but everything then and now is more expensive over here. We bought it in 1988 ,i sold it ten years later for £750,so we did alright, for the time anyway.

nice, but for purists *, late 60's hofs are less collectable...they have the wrong pups..the bar pickups don't sound like the clasic staple type pups...also the knobs are not the classic teacups

*beatle nuts

the made a matching 6 string guitar in that era, that was pretty kooky as well

cheers

My brother has one - not sure what 60s year it is. It's a great recording bass it really cuts. Just recently for a song we were recording we went through 66 Mosrite Ventures, 66 Fender Precision, modern Fender Bass VI--none were right. Then Hofner nailed it. I can see why McCartney favored this bass,

For me, a Hofner 500/1 is the single most fun instrument to play.

JBGretschguy had one that was from the McCartney Batch.

I got to play it and noticed a few things that stood out about it.

Firstly, it weighed next to nothing. If it was three pounds, I'd be surprised.

Secondly, it had a great punchy "thump" to it.

Third, you couldn't help having a vicarious "McCartney Moment" playing I Saw Her Standing There.

Third, you couldn't help having a vicarious "McCartney Moment" playing I Saw Her Standing There. - crowbone

About the best time I ever had gigging was a stint subbing as the Paul in a tribute band. It was the only time I ever really got a chance to put my Hofner Cavern bass to good use, and that bass made it a blast.

"Fab" and "Gear" come to mind. I'm looking forward to your video. I've certainly enjoyed your others. Thrive

Grazie Sourpuss. I love beatles music,!!!! One of my favorite Chet albums is picks on the beatles !!!! Paolo.

Register Sign in to join the conversation