The Bass-ment

The Complete Catalogue of Greatest Bass Entrance

I didn't know Elvis played that bass track. He had rhythm to spare.

– BuddyHollywood

Check out the page devoted to Bill's Fender Precision Bass on the Scotty Moore website. It's interesting reading and a lot of cool shots of Bill with the bass and also shots of Elvis with it.

Down at the bottom of the page the story of Elvis playing the intro to "Baby I Don't Care" is explained along with a clarification about a supposed argument over it between Elvis and Bill.

http://www.scottymoore.net/...

Check out the page devoted to Bill's Fender Precision Bass on the Scotty Moore website. It's interesting reading and a lot of cool shots of Bill with the bass and also shots of Elvis with it.

Down at the bottom of the page the story of Elvis playing the intro to "Baby I Don't Care" is explained along with a clarification about a supposed argument over it between Elvis and Bill.

http://www.scottymoore.net/...

– Wheelgrinder

Great story. Just when you think you know everything there is to know about Elvis Presley there turns up another interesting nugget. While many of the stories that have come out after his death seem to detract from his character this particular nugget enhances my appreciation of him.

"Day Tripper" when McCartney comes in with the same intro guitar riff on bass.

"Oh Well" - Fleetwood Mac (John McVie) - Same deal..

Wilson Pickett. Ninety Nine and a Half.

Lee

Isn't the question about a monumental moment when the bass enters the song? 99% of these examples are not examples of that.

Here is a prime example of when a bass enters the song and takes the song to another dimension. The Gang Of Four "To Hell With Poverty." Bass enters around twenty seconds in. Man, when this song came on in a dance club and that bass kicked in....HEAVEN AND HELL at the same time!

What a great thread! Could go on for days!

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion

Beatles - Taxman

Stevie Wonder - I Wish

Motörhead - Ace of spades

Chillis - Give it away

Van Morrison - Moon dance

Wild Cherry - Play that funky music

MJ- Wanna be startin something / Billy Jean

War - Low Rider

Sly & The Family Stone - Thank You

RJ - Super Freak

Rush - YYZ

Any thing P Funk

And I second For the love of money! But the version by the Bulletboys!!! 100% In your face! I still use this track when I'm setting reference levels. Bass. Marshalls. Drums.

"The Move" had some wonderful Bass lines, I especially liked the very recognizable tone.

I have the Final compilation album "Split Ends" on cassette, great stuff...when I listen it's to hear that Bass!

One of my favourite songs by the Cure has always been Homesick, and the bass entrance makes the song. There is a long layered build up led by a simple but melodic Fender Bass VI solo, but you know the song arrives when the four string bass enters at 2:30. Nothing fancy, but absolute heaven.

Forgive me if I scrolled too fast and am repeating, here. But anything "The Ox" plays, but especially this

The greatest.

Some great suggestions here. Thanks all for joining in.

Couple of stand-outs, indicative of nothing more nor less than personal taste-

Proteus- Yes? Yes please. Squire always had such authority and dash. Never was a name more impressively appropriate, for he truly squired that Rickenbacker like an absolute cad.

Wheelgrinder- C'mon Everybody. The seminal plectrum/mute Fenderbass moment- the click, the thud, the insistent semitone quaver roll that heralds two of the most sublime minutes in rock and roll. Wonderful in every way.

Another suggestion and gosh do I ever like a plectrum Fenderbass.

Ricky Nelson, 'Summertime'. Even at the time, this was something of a hoary old standard, so it's something of a surprise to hear the threatening portent of the bass which kicks this off. The delicious foreboding atmosphere it creates proved so compelling that the line was requisitioned by Deep Purple for 'Black Night'...

Well played Spiritwalker and Pawnshopyamaha- difficult to find songs with late-arrival bass that tilts the axis. Two excellent examples.

Snowbound from Donald Fagen's Kamikiriad album. An absolutely mega bassline by Walter Becker.

Speaking of twin bass, there is much to admire in the delicate intertwined dance between tic-tic and upright on many, many RCA records, whether it's Elvis, Patsy Cline or innumerable Metropolitan country/rock n roll crossover records.

But this one might be the acme of accurate double tracked PlectraMute Fenderbass and Double bass combined- Lalo Shifrin's 'Bullitt theme'. Forget the inferior cut on the soundtrack album, the original title sequence sets the entire backstory and atmosphere for the film in three and a half breathless minutes of beat, brass and bass. Effortless, compact exposition at its most succinct. The basses begin their dual chromatic weaving descent after 27 seconds of rhythmic build. Pure magic-

Herbie Flowers...Walk on the Wild Side

He lulls you into a dream, then Lou tells a story nobody expects.

– Twangmeisternyc

Yeah, look up Herbie Flowers and you'll realize you've heard a lot of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

Lalo Shifrin's 'Bullitt theme'.

Good call.

Now, obviously you appreciate some killer bass in movie themes. Then we must add these to our list:

Jerry Goldsmith "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes." I still don't know what technique/style that intro bass is called. I just know it is herky-jerky and I love it. Oh, and brace yourself for the bass at 0:55 and on. Wow!

And how can we leave out some synth bass in the classic "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" John Barry theme?And the real bass kicks in at 0:19 and it moves like nothing I've ever heard:

For me, it is John McVie in Fleetwood Mac's The Chain.

I'm pretty sure one of these cribbed from the other, but whatever. I like them both

Superb, Spiritwalker. I'd forgotten all about that one, lovely bass just dripping with threat, momentum, power. I just call it Plectrabass- plectrum and mutes engaged.

The original Planet of the Apes music gets all the plaudits for the tape loops, musique concrete elements and copious Echoplex (an intrinsic composition tool, not just a production afterthought) but that one you posted is an amazing piece. Especially noteworthy is the steel drums punctuation in the piece and the Plectra/String bass combo over the coda section from 2:30. Wonderful!

Barry is always fabulous and the On Her Majesty's Secret Service soundtrack is pretty much the best of them all.

Register Sign in to join the conversation