The Bass-ment

The Complete Catalogue of Greatest Bass Entrance

The Beatles - Rain

The bass comes in immediately but it is such a great bass line I can't imagine this song with anything different.

Harry Nilsson- Jump into the fire.

RHCP cover of Stevie Wonders Higher Ground. Or, for that matter, most of the Mothers Milk lp. I find Flea's playing is astounding from this era.

How about Larry Graham's stanky groove on this one?

And Phil Lesh's rolling melodic bass entry on this one at about 0:27 is spectacular:

Gotta include Jeff Berlin's transcription of Bach's Prelude in C minor from the "Well Tempered Clavier" --- especially when he starts his solo at 1:15 or thereabouts:

Robbie Shakespeare makes Peter's version of "Get Up Stand Up"

Bob Marley and Peter Tosh wrote "Get Up Stand Up" while touring with War --- you can hear where the hook came from. The bassline and groove starts at just before the 2:00 mark:

Alphonso Johnson has the opening riff that makes this song (George Duke, Hermeto Pascoal, David Amaro and Airto are the rest of the band):

David Brown's line on this isn't flashy, but damn is it powerful when it comes in at 1:28

Jack Casady's entrance at :15 is ferocious:

And sorry, Meghan Trainor, but THIS song is all about that (synth) bass. When it's THIS fonky, you gotta spell it wth an "o"!

Stones' Sympathy For The Devil.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

In the end, I have to go with the one that made me want to play the bass in the first place:

The thing he does in the bridge still blows my mind.

Ade started this with Larry Knechtel (thanks so much for giving him his credit) and Mark G mentioned Mr Tambourine Man, so let's hear Larry one more time.

Woulda been a hit in any medium.

Kiss -Sure Know Something

Beatles -With A Little Help From My Friends.

Hearing George made me want to play the guitar but this made me want to be a bass player !!

I always loved the intro to 'A Message to you Rudy' by The Specials. So cool and very lazy.

Herbie Flowers...Walk on the Wild Side

He lulls you into a dream, then Lou tells a story nobody expects.

The Wombats... a very bass prominent band, in this song, thundering bass coming in after the rest, and then a great bass line!

Don't know why I thought about this one, but talk about an earth shaking bass when it comes in...

And of course (to be listened to with headphones if you want the bass to properly affect your hearing)

I agree with Tim on "Yes". Now I'll be stuck listening to "Fragile" the rest of the day.

The Zombies song above always brings the hair up on my arms,when I hear that Bass line.

A couple of bass-driven classics from the 50s...

Guybo on his Fender bass kicking off the riff for "C'mon Everybody".

...Elvis, playing Bill Black's Fender bass (not an upright as shown in the movie clip) on "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care".

...and what would "Johnny Got A Boom Boom" be without the 'boom-boom'?

....and another shout out to Rancid. "Maxwell Murder" is a bass line and a killer bass solo by Matt Freeman with a song built around it. The bass is foremost in the mix through the entire song but it really takes off with the solo at the 1:00 minute mark. Outstanding stuff!

Wasn't the music for Seinfeld mostly bass? That pull/slap technique or whatever it's called.

I believe it's called a synthesizer. Many synths have that exact "Seinfeld" bass patch.

How the Seinfeld theme song was made. I saw this a few weeks back. That Bass sound is very cool.

A couple of bass-driven classics from the 50s...

Guybo on his Fender bass kicking off the riff for "C'mon Everybody".

...Elvis, playing Bill Black's Fender bass (not an upright as shown in the movie clip) on "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care".

...and what would "Johnny Got A Boom Boom" be without the 'boom-boom'?

– Wheelgrinder

I didn't know Elvis played that bass track. He had rhythm to spare.

The Smithereens - Blood and Roses is prety cool in this regard,

Register Sign in to join the conversation