The Bass-ment

Playin’ dad-licks on bass in the studio as of late…

With my prized Fitty Fo Fawty Two...

Get on DOWN wit' yo bad self!

I hope someone is there to smack your left hand with a drumstick if you use the D or G string, as you are clearly doing on the Gretsch.

I hope someone is there to smack your left hand with a drumstick if you use the D or G string, as you are clearly doing on the Gretsch.

– Proteus

LMAO!

Actually, I only used the Gretsch on part of one of his less Petty-centric things, where the middle section was a swing kinda buzz and I was playing a walking bass line. And I agree, the G string is the 8” tom of basses. And hell, I can only just now REACH the D.

Sammy usually tucks a sawbuck under the G string.

I like those guitars, sir. What do you play 'em out of?

I like those guitars, sir. What do you play 'em out of?

– BigJImSlade

Tune, of course.

Tune, of course.

– tubwompus

Thank ya sir. But to answer your question, I go direct in the studio and my bass amp is one of the older British-made Ashdown 300 watt 4x10 combos.

Good to see your face, young man.

Good to see your face, young man.

– Suprdave

Sure nuf is, to see any of our Roundup folks. Merry Christmas.

Thank ya everybody.

And Merry Christmas backatcha!

That's YOU in those pics?! Man. There's only a few spots of hair standing between you and the bald. Welcome to senior decrepitude.

That's YOU in those pics?! Man. There's only a few spots of hair standing between you and the bald. Welcome to senior decrepitude.

– Proteus

Eh? Whut wuzzat? Speak up, sonny.

"Dad licks" are a thing?

I know "dad jokes". I'm an expert purveyor, and I'm not even a dad.

What are dad licks?

"Dad licks" are a thing?

I know "dad jokes". I'm an expert purveyor, and I'm not even a dad.

What are dad licks?

– Jimbodiddley

Just a self-parody extension of what are commonly referred to as “dad blues” guitar licks. Meaning old guys playing blues box solos in their garages with other old guys as a hobby. A snobbish, elitist concept, for sure but thusly, ipso fatso, my old @$$ with a bass in my lap GOTSTA be playin’ dad licks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation