The Bass-ment

NRBD • Today I am a re-man.

Well how cool is that?

He is better known as a Gibson Thunderbird player...

But, when you need that stout, roundwound sound, ... ain't nothing like a Ric.

I was just trying to think of what bass players are associated with Ric basses --- all I could think of was Macca, Chris Squire, Lemmy and Rick James. There's gotta be more, though --- anybody?

Considered as a design exercise, it's reliably fascinating to me, a concentrated smorgasbord of unexpected curves, sharp edges, and conjunctions - which somehow works.

I think the "cresting wave" design was arrived at by hacking away at the (I'm told) unpleasant to play "tulip" body shape of the early Combo models in two stages to give it better upper fret access. First they shaved down the treble horn. Then they carved out a chunk of the horn bout. Then they stretched it out and crestified the treble horn and called it a bass.

That's a nice one! Congrats! When I was gigging...back in the '70's...I played a blonde Ric 4001. When I stopped gigging, I made the stooopid decision to sell it to the bass player in Shooting Star who needed a backup bass for their upcoming first major tour. (Side note: "My" bass eventually ended up in the bottom of a swimming pool during a shoot for their first Video...accidentally. The bass player was supposed to "fall" into the pool and at the last moment throw the bass to the edge of the pool where it would be caught and rescued by an assistant....an assistant who MISSED the catch.)

To this day I have a soft spot for Ric Basses and I miss that blonde 4001 every day.

Congrats again, and I recommend you keep it away from swimming pools.

I was just trying to think of what bass players are associated with Ric basses --- all I could think of was Macca, Chris Squire, Lemmy and Rick James.

Also Entwhistle, Waters, Roger Glover, Mike Rutherford, Geddy Lee, Fred Turner (BTO).

In other genres, Cliff Burton, Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols), Paul Simonon (The Clash), Paul Gray (The Damned, Eddie & the Hot Rods), Tony James (Generation X), Mike Mills (R.E.M.), Michael Bradley (The Undertones), Youth (Killing Joke), Kira Roessler (Black Flag).

(Last paragraph borrowed from Wikipedia.)

I think the "cresting wave" design was arrived at by hacking away at the (I'm told) unpleasant to play "tulip" body shape of the early Combo models in two stages to give it better upper fret access. First they shaved down the treble horn. Then they carved out a chunk of the horn bout. Then they stretched it out and crestified the treble horn and called it a bass.

So...everything presentable in Rickenbacker's inventory had hands laid on it by Roger Rossmeisl.

It ought to have pretty clear from the git-go that the tulip wouldn't. Go.

Congrats again, and I recommend you keep it away from swimming pools.

I'll do that!

Here is a video that is an earworm song, features a Rickenbacker bass and a Gretsch Silver Jet. I saw these guys live around this time and the singer played his Rickenbacker bass for the whole show if I remember correctly.

You can't leave Pet Quaife off a list of Rickenbacker bass players.

just put "Argus" on order...great album.

One of the best ever, anybody, anytime.

You can't leave Pete Quaife off a list of Rickenbacker bass players.

Ooh, Kinky!

Lemmy for Ric bass player?

I've been watching Todd Rundgren and Utopia for over 40 years and this past April was the first time I had ever seen Kasim Sulton playing a Rickenbacker bass....of course,...it was...BLONDE!

Congrats Tim,hope this one is a keeper sir!

Congrats, fellow GASer!

Nope, no more GAS. Not never again nohow, nosir. I've ascended to a plasma state.

– Proteus

Yeah......right!

hope this one is a keeper sir!

Oh it is, it IS. Second day, and I still like it. I like it even better than yesterday. That was most emphatically not the case with the previous incarnation.

I guess I won't trust it completely for a few months, but so far all the omens augur well.

Glad to see you were able to scratch that particular itch successfully. Sounds like you got a good 'un this time.

Sorry that two-thirds of a continent prevented me from offering any meaningful help with the previous incarnation.

Sorry that two-thirds of a continent prevented me from offering any meaningful help with the previous incarnation.

I believe it had congenital issues which defied the customary fixes.

Chris Hillman has been known to play one but then Chris has been known to play just about every bass imaginable ... except a Hofner. Don't think I've ever seen him with a Hofner.

Congrats scoring a good Ric, Herr Direktor! Any chance of us hearing/seeing a demo?

Something one might choose to do with a Rickenbacker bass:

Congrats on finding a keeper Tim, they are wonderful when you find a good one! And here's one in some very capable hands...

Belated congratulations, Tim.

Oh...... and yes I agree with Parabar & Baba Joe regarding your "no more gas..." remark. Are you looking to get into politics or something...?? Next thing you know we'll be seeing pictures of you kissing babies at your rallies.

At least for the time being, I seem to be in one of those states of grace wherein I'm not aware of wanting anything (well, much - recent Mosrite curiosity excepted) in the music gear domain - and have even stopped looking for something to want.

As Parabar and Joe note, this may be a temporary node in a cycle of oscillation which has proven, in my case, to have more and longer peaks than valleys. On the other hand, my acquisitive-lust system may have reached a more-or-less lasting equilibrium.

I reckon time will tell.

Posting this makes me feel a bit like the guy in Springsteen's song "Glory Days"...but, here is "me" back in "the day" sporting the aforementioned Ric 4001 (that I NEVER should have sold!). Just look at the "admiration" on the face of the audience member off to the left....

Register Sign in to join the conversation