Other Amps

Marshall anyone?

Hi! I'm pining for a Marshall DSL15H but none of my local shops have one to try out. Anyone here tried/have one? I'm looking for that bluesy on-the-verge-of-break-up 'marshall' sound in a small amp that will be as dynamic as possible. I also want that iconic heavy marshall sound for other songs too. So the amp looks great. There's also a Class5 with 'lyle mods' on ebay too. Anyone tried the class5? Will be for live gigs in small clubs with a real drummer.

I am coming to realise that the worst thing for me was that in my time--the 80s--every idiotic metal band used Marshalls and so I disliked them immediately.

Now I hear the sounds Steve Marriott got out of them with a Tennessean, 6121, etc and I am really sad things turned out the way they did.

So I can't help you, but you can look at places like here for reviews, keeping in mind that the likelihood people use this for the music you do is not so likely.

http://www.musiciansfriend....

But I write to ask that if you get one kindly let me know if you get anything approaching this sound out of it (Gretsch (Tennessean) through Marshall):

or here from 1:45

I've got a Marshall Haze 40W combo. Great amp, sounds killer clean, but loud as a mother when you get near break up, so I put a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic in front of it and get a pretty great sound.

I want a low-powered Marshall so bad I can taste it.

A local guy here gigs with a FilterTron Jet with a Marshall 1974 clone and sounds great. I use my PowerJet with the "British" channel of a Rivera Venus 6 and get great hard rock tone with it.

Stephen Stills II........White Falcon and Mashalls at their best. Saw him do this live, the entire album with his Falcon and a Marshall stack in '71.

This sound still sticks in my head:

And just one more, and one of my favorites. At around 4:06, Stills gives a lesson on using the mud switch.

The Falcon again through a Marshall:

I've been wanting to try one too, and even the 5 watt version. My dealer has the 40 watt, which is going to be more than I need....I'm just so hung up on getting either a Deluxe or Princeton for Fender cleans, the Marshall lust has taken a back seat. If you try or get one, please let us know how it sounds with a Gretsch!

I almost bought a Class 5, 3 years ago, when I had my Annie. I tried my Annie through it, and it sounded killer. I put the amp on layaway, but money got tight, and I ended up getting something cheaper, with the money I'd already put down for the layaway. Class 5s are nice amps, but a little borderline for keeping up with loud drummers, unless you like lots of crunch in your tone.

This isn't quite the same, but I have a Blackstar ID30, and my 'Clubs (especially the 6196T [please get the refret done a.s.a.p. Ron, I'm missing my #1 guitar!]) sound fantastic through it - total stun guitar tone!

Hey Knavel ever try the 1974x Marshalls? The 18 watt amps, they can get close to the SF's sound and you dont have to kill your back lifting the amp and you ear drums will thank you too.

I enjoy the Class 5. With a 12" Celestion Gold speaker, it's pretty darn loud.

Can't say that it's gigable loud, but it's not a bedroom amp by any means either!

I got yer bedroom amp right here!

Indeed, the space behind the amps someone can sleep in = bedroom amp. Genius!

Does it come in an Ikea flat pack?

Hey Knavel ever try the 1974x Marshalls? The 18 watt amps, they can get close to the SF's sound and you dont have to kill your back lifting the amp and you ear drums will thank you too.

– Gretsch6123

I have never actually played through anything but Fender, Vox, Sears (Danelectro) and some Valco builds in my life.

18 watt sounds about right--which is why I responded to Rob's post in the first instance. I have a BF Princeton and I was watching the video footage from the last gig and I came off of the audience floor and turned it down because I thought it was too loud.

We played for some military thing in a massive room and I was using my brother's tweed Fender Harvard and it was on 4 or 5 and someone said it was too loud. With the PA and the way things are I can't see having more than 20 watts.

@JD. Yes!

Knavel, it's a strange looking pair together, but I had the empty Vox cab, and stuck a Gold in it. Nice sounding with any amp.

I've got a Vox Lil' Night Train (2 watts), and when plugged into this cab, it's a perfect bedroom amp.

Your are correct. If the Class 5/Vox cab were mic'd through a PA, very gigable, with some pretty nice tones.

Rob, skip the modern Marshall stuff and have someone build you a clone of an 18 Watt Marshall, or the 20 Watt head. Shouldn't be expensive, will sound great, and will outlast the current Marshall stuff.

@JD, I only have Golds in the amps here. They seem to double the volume (and weight) of any amp. PS there is 10'' Gold in that Harvard I was talking about above. It's maybe the best amp I've ever heard along with a 2x10'' BF Vibrolux.

@Walter, can I get a little more info on the 18 watt? What is the "classic" one and when was it built etc. I am still jonesing for the Echolette that the Small Faces were using in that German gig, but a Marshall clone seems a lot easier to find.

Three original models : the 1973 (model number, not year) was a 2X12, the 1974 was a 1X12, and the 1958 was a 2X10. Same 2X EL84 chassis in all of them. Along with the Fender 5E3 narrow panel tweed Deluxe, it's probably the most-cloned amp out there, available in kit form from a bunch of different suppliers, and a lot of different clone-builders offer them.

Supposedly based on the legendary Watkins Dominator amps.

They're pretty cool, I've played both clones and the Marshall reissues of them. Nice old-fashioned Marshall flavour in an amp that's not stupid loud. Don't expect the punch and power of the 40/50 Watt heads and combos, you need the bigger output bottles and output transformers for that.

Marshall just reissued the 1958, it got some decent revues for me it seems a little bright. I believe last months or the month before premier guitar did a shoot out between two marshall 18 watt clones 1974 models from tube depot and mojo the mojo faired better in the judging between the kits. There is a 1974x locally for sale that I have been eyeing up. I believe the 1974x reissues from marshall had a transformer problem early in production but it was fixed in the later reissues. Don't know if anyone else can confirm that. Isn't there a 2061x head too, that is similar I can't remember still a nice amp in the 18 watt vein

Rob, skip the modern Marshall stuff and have someone build you a clone of an 18 Watt Marshall, or the 20 Watt head. Shouldn't be expensive, will sound great, and will outlast the current Marshall stuff.

– WB

Where do I find someone like that? Especially where I live :S

Looking at 1974x heads are way more than I can afford at the moment :(

For value ($500-600) consider the 100 watt DSL, full featured and surprisingly pleasing crunch with master tamed or with an attenuator. Bonamassa and many others appreciate what it can do.

Also, the 1 watt 50th anniversary heads (same eBay price range) sound great and capture much of the spirit of the best of the vintage amps they pay homage to. Use them in the effects loop of more powerful heads if you need more volume.

Indeed, the space behind the amps someone can sleep in = bedroom amp. Genius!

Does it come in an Ikea flat pack?

– knavel

LOL. That photo's always a laugh to see in internet guitar forums! It's a photo of the black metal band Immortal's backline, during a show.

Marshalls were Tweed Fenders with better speakers.

Marshalls were Tweed Fenders with better speakers.

– Billy Zoom

Wasn't the first Marshall amp's based off a fender tweed bassman circuit?

Register Sign in to join the conversation