The Bass-ment

New Bass Day

I recieved a 2020 Gretsch G5440LSB Thursday afternoon. I absolutely love this thing! I had Sweetwater install a Bone nut on it that included a custom setup. Had them put my favorite strings TI Jazz Flat JF-344 .043-.100's. The fit, finish, playability and tone are all really nice. I have only had a couple days now to play it but I already think it is a keeper for sure.

I LOVE it! I want one too. What do you play it through? Any chance you could do a video demo?

I play through a Markbass head and a GK 112-2 cab with Eminence Kappalite 3012HO Neodymnium speaker and a GK cab with a 15" Eminence Kappa Pro LFA-2 speaker (one heavy boat anchor but fabulous tone). I will tell you I tried a new 4.5" wide Levy's padded strap I just bought and it is Neck heavy. I am either going to have to add something to the strap to combat this or find another strap. I love the tone and this will not defeat me ;)

Bubbalou88, I've had good results with using a strap made from cotton to combat neck heavy guitars. I use a Lock-It guitar strap. They have an additional benefit of having a leather encased locking device on the strap ends that will fit over Gretsch strap buttons.

Thanks Wade. At 68 years old and shoulder issues I need something at least 3.5" wide with padding. I will check to see if they have other models. Definately appreciate the suggestion. ;)

Thanks Wade. At 68 years old and shoulder issues I need something at least 3.5" wide with padding. I will check to see if they have other models. Definately appreciate the suggestion. ;)

– Bubbalou88

Wade, Ok, decided to order a strap like the one you posted along with a strap pad for it . Thank you

Looks like a keeper and have wondered why we don’t see more of them out there. Congrats

Wade, Ok, decided to order a strap like the one you posted along with a strap pad for it . Thank you

– Bubbalou88

You're welcome Bubbalou88! I hope it works out for you!

Congrats...that's a looker fer sure!

Thanks, the more I play this bass the more I love it. My Fenders are definitely jealous as I have been unable to put it down

I LOVE it! I want one too. What do you play it through? Any chance you could do a video demo?

– hilosean

Since posting my previous response the Markbass head started having issues so I traded it in on a new Fender Rumble 800 Head at Guitar Center. Has very good reviews and a more classic tone.

Killer bass!

– BuddyHollywood

Thank you, love this bass

– hilosean

More info to your question:

Also use either 2 GK 112-2 cabs with upgraded Eminence Kappalite 3012HO NEO’s or 1 Gk 112-2 and an older GK cab with Eminence Kappa Pro LFA-2 15” speaker plus a custom made 12” Mid range horn I built

– hilosean

More info to your question:

Also use either 2 GK 112-2 cabs with upgraded Eminence Kappalite 3012HO NEO’s or 1 Gk 112-2 and an older GK cab with Eminence Kappa Pro LFA-2 15” speaker plus a custom made 12” Mid range horn I built

Congrats...that's a looker fer sure!

– Toddfan

Thank you

Super nice. I’d love one, but they’re kinda rare down here.

Which model Markbass amp did you have ?? I have the Little Ninja, absolutely swear by it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation