The Bass-ment

NBPGD

Well....new in that after having it over for a year, I finally raked together enough “spheres“ to undertake actually putting the doggone pickguard ON it!

My sweet li’l Rickenbastage 4003.

Luvz me some Pickguardian, whom were recommended to me by name by Rickenbastage theyselves. Furthermore, luvz me the fact that Tony’s a 15-minute drive from my house!

That looks great. I love the sound of those Rick basses, even though the neck feels more like a pool cue than a guitar.

Mr. Tsar, I tell ya, some of my Rick guitars’ necks are certainly as you describe, but that 4003’s neck feels like a bannister! Definitely feels way wider and thicker than the neck on my P-Bass.

Hooda thunk?

Lookin' good. I am still eaten up w/ finding a Fireglo 950 from the late 60s early 70s. Pickguardian puts up with My Demented Projects all the time and is great to deal with.

Oh yeah, that’s real cool. Love Ric basses.

Funny you say the neck is chunkier than your P-bass, my 4003’s neck sits between my P-bass and my Hofner. Maybe akin to a Jazz neck.

.I like the rare Rick 3000 -- bolt on neck! But, I hear it's in the HaH category = Heavy as Hell.

Beauty!

I'd love a Fireglo one myself,the cousin had a few 4003's over the years,sadly i didn't get first refusal on any of them when it was time to sell.

Why are the strings tucked under a shed?

– NJBob

Rumor says it’s modesty but I suspect it’s prob’ly more like baggage.

– NJBob

to avoid RF interference i would think, similar to the bridge and pickup covers on a Jazz Bass.

Oh yeah, that’s real cool. Love Ric basses.

Funny you say the neck is chunkier than your P-bass, my 4003’s neck sits between my P-bass and my Hofner. Maybe akin to a Jazz neck.

– RustyG

I’ve been told by guys who know more about Rics than I ever will that certain year ranges have different neck dimensions. Also because of so much handwork done on each guitar, there can still be variation from unit to unit, although probably much less after John Hall went to CNC.

to avoid RF interference i would think, similar to the bridge and pickup covers on a Jazz Bass.

– macphisto

I think I remember reading John Hall saying that it’s just aesthetic, to keep consistent with the look from when they were still using horseshoe magnets back in the day.

I mighta dreamt that, though.

the Hall moves in mysterious ways.

i could have said "the John," but that would have been the point that i officially turned into my father.

Odd color combo...

Looks a lot like your others!

– Twangmeisternyc

All my socks and undies are the same color too. Less to have think about. (DOH!!!!)

I figured that since I can’t play, it’s my duty to at least give the audience sumpthin purtiful to look at. I paid (a LOT!) to have a drumkit custom built in the same color scheme, too. That was 3 years ago. Still no kit. Beware of Stone Custom Drum.

your drawers are black and gold? sweet!

Man, that's sweet! Nice mod.

You realize mostayer guitars are the same color, right?

You realize mostayer guitars are the same color, right?

– Proteus

AH! So it ain’t just me, then?!!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation