The Bass-ment

Low B…31 Hz

True---you need a big space for big bass.

1.There is no 30hz on recordings. If it was ever there, it was removed in mastering.
2.You can't hear sound below 20hz, because the vibrations are so far apart that your brain doesn't connect them.
3.You dont have to produce the fundamental frequency to hear the bass. Most speakers today don't go below 100hz, but you still hear the bass player. NS10's don't go below 100, yet lots of people mix on them.
4.Very low frequencies will not propogate in a room shorter than the fundamental wavelength. You have to use nearfields and be right in front of them.
5. Five string basses are _ _ _ .

Lots of people...but not me. NS10's suck.

My Low E reproduction is night and day better than before some of the changes on the Enclosure and the Bass...

That's the truth.

I don't doubt it, but that's only 55hz and above. If you record 55hz, most people will never hear it, but hearing it yourself will help you play better. Having speakers that reproduce 31hz, or 20hz, or 15hz, is pretty much wasted energy. Keep in mind that 31hz is the fundamental frequency in a very complex wave form. If you play that string through a system that only goes down to 110hz, you'll still hear the note.

Frequencies below 15hz are for tremolo.

How quickly we and our ears become sophisticated...Ha!

Whether GAS, or "11"...keep moving in the right direction.

The punchline of the HiFi equivalent joke is, "It is Ok for the Car, but I wouldn't have it the House".

One reason the 34" scale bass by Fender became so popular (75%+ of the recordings you hear) is that you can hear the overtones on a 4" car speaker. With a 30" scale, not so much.

Some of the most intense LF I've ever come across was from organs---electronic and pipe both. Up until electronic amplification, a pipe organ was the loudest instrument on earth. It's still the most complex. Working in a large theater, I got to experience the effects of strong LF in a big room. One of the loudest bands was REM. They used walls of EV 4 driver sub bins that were so loud it changed your breathing and heartbeat---behind the stacks.

Then, there is the infamous "Brown Tone" (a great band name, by the way), 5-8 Hz. "Mythbusters" tried to reproduce it with Meyers LF bins. Unfortunately, they were outside, Jamie was right on top of the speakers and was too close for the LF wave to propagate properly.

Large scale rock and roll PA gear started showing up in the late '70s right after the Sennsurround ULF sound effect 18" W bin speakers stop being used in movie houses. I've seen the aftermath of those bins in old movie houses---broken and cracked plaster. There were only a couple of movies that used them ("Earthquake" was one) and they never did get the sound balanced between the ULF bins and the rest of the PA. The bins sold cheap afterwards, and rock and roll changed forever.

I may be "too old", but those 5 KW car stereos are too much. If I can't hear the TV in my house, your system is too loud. Your rights to loud music only go as far as mine do.

75% of the recordings I hear have upright bass, and maybe a Danelectro 6 string too.

This simple accessory made a big difference, too.

Moves the rear wrap back from the saddle, keeps the front wrap off the Tuning Peg. It also adds some mass and allows more communication between strings.

I'll try B E A D again at some point, the last effort was well before all the changes...

Not sure the TruBass88 Black Tape "B" string will fit the Mod-Bar...I have a sample for sizing the back wrap diameter.

The Mod-Bar will need some Hole polishing next time as well, not an issue with regular strings but gave me a little interference rubbing on the nylon as I passed the "E" through.

Easy enough to refine...

Those strings put off a nice, woody sound.

"...I may be "too old", but those 5 KW car stereos are too much. If I can't hear the TV in my house, your system is too loud. Your rights to loud music only go as far as mine do....." Wabash Slim

A-men, brother.

My father once suggested that if I came into some money, I should immediately invest it in hearing aid stock.

Wish I had some money.

"...I may be "too old", but those 5 KW car stereos are too much. If I can't hear the TV in my house, your system is too loud. Your rights to loud music only go as far as mine do....." Wabash Slim

A-men, brother.

My father once suggested that if I came into some money, I should immediately invest it in hearing aid stock.

Wish I had some money.

– Kevin Frye

You want to make money?

Tattoo removal is currently around $75 per square inch, and the market keeps growing.

Old joke: What costs $50 when you want it and 40 times that when you don't?

A: A tattoo.

Well, the NorCal RoundUp bedeviled me into the next round of improvements...why do all of you have such effect...Ha!

However, whatever...I learned a couple things, ruled out a few more, and my ability to Internet Search for other tidbits improved a notch.

Seems the next thing to try is the Eminence CA154 4 ohm speaker. It has its sealed enclosure resonance point almost perfect on the Low E 82hz first harmonic, whereas my current Jensen C15N is, again, about perfect on the A 110hz first harmonic. I knew this from my ears, then I found a TalkBass blog where somebody enlightened me comparing both speakers!

Gotta love the ability to search and find info on the Web...

I may lose a bit in the mid-Lows with this speaker. But, then, maybe they go together as a pair, eh?

Should arrive tomorrow...

31 years ago in October I sat on a park bench along the River Thames at the Tower of London on a sunny, mild Sunday morning. Beside me sat Art Garfunkel reading up on Acoustic Phonetics for his recording session.

Things go round when we try to improve...

If you go through the PA, you have more room for chicken...

I remember Washing Machines...this must be the new Stage gear?

I think chicken is the latest space-filler, but I hear he is considering something new.

Awesome...Bass Rig getting happy!

The SS Amp Head sounds great with the CA154...

Using the 6L6 tube stack with the C15N open-back on top in the CVR, and the CA154 closed-back below in the extension cabinet is acting like a natural cross-over. The lower you go the more the sound comes off the floor, the higher you go the more it works up waist high into the C15N.

On paper, the C15N is supposedly a bit more efficient, still figuring the note by note up the scale as to where one speaker gains on the other. Thus far, it seems ideal.

The Voice Coil and Magnet are much more substantial on the CA154...

Higher volume tests planned for tomorrow!

As long as I stay within a reasonable volume, both the CVR and SS Amp sound fully acceptable. As I get louder I lose clarity...

I may like the tube sound more, but that probably is because I can parallel the pair of speakers as a stack...

Time now to try a guitar...

Guitars sound better just through the C15N...or the stack made with it and the pair of P10Rs...

The C15N is a nice sounding speaker.

Now, to decide on the value of a Fender Rumble 200 or an Ampeg SVT Micro VR200.

I'll see if I can rent either or both for a Home demo.

That little Snark is pretty nifty...

Register Sign in to join the conversation