The Bass-ment

Jet Baritone as Bass VI?

A couple of years ago I added the Gretsch G5265 Jet Baritone to the family. I love the mellow sound, the smooth feel of the neck, the baritone tonal options and when you add a Bigsby to that mix, well ... you know the drill.

I'm perfectly happy with this puppy just the way she is and don't plan to make any modifications. However, I've recently come across a couple of forums and videos stating the Jet Baritone was originally meant to be a Bass VI. A couple of the videos demonstrate how it sounds and they're fairly impressive. I already have a Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI, so that place in my home studio band is already filled. Although ... that Duane Eddy six string bass is sssoooo tempting!!

Anyhow, I am just curious to know if the Baritone was really originally intended to be a Bass VI and, if you were to modify it for that sound, other than changing strings, would you need to do anything else to the G5265 to make the modification work correctly?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Back when I bought mine it arrived stringed with bass strings, so based (pun intended) on that no tweaks should be neccessary

The strings will have larger diameter, so you might have to widen the nut slots. You might also have to adjust the bridge height.

This comes from the factory set up as a bass guitar. You shouldn't have to do anything. It is tuned E to E. Some change it to Baritone tuning but it should have been set up as a Bass guitar.

This comes from the factory set up as a bass guitar. You shouldn't have to do anything. It is tuned E to E. Some change it to Baritone tuning but it should have been set up as a Bass guitar.

– Don Birchett

Mine came as a bass, but the new ones come tuned B to B, as stated on the Gretsch web site: https://www.gretschguitars....

Mine came tuned as a Bass. It IS a Bass Guitar after all.

Register Sign in to join the conversation