The Bass-ment

is there good upright bass forum?

I have a friend who is starting to play upright, and I told her how helpful this forum has been to me over the years and saved me a lot of time and effort when it comes to things like which strings to buy or set-up...any old problem...is there an upright forum that kinda resembles the GDP?

I don't know about a forum, but the three best upright players I even met gave me the same advice: It's an acoustic instrument. Master playing it as an acoustic instrument before you even think about adding a pickup. If it isn't loud enough, do what they did when they had to play over a 16 piece horn section with no amplification...Play louder! The tone, volume, and technique all come from the same place, and you play from there until your fingers hurt, over and over.

Word, Billy. Buddy, I don't know about a forum either, but I play double bass so maybe I can help out.

The FB Union Tavo mentioned can be a good resource, but if you don't like sifting through snark and jackassery it may not be for you. Good group, and some amazing players (as well as hacks like me), but be sure to bring your sense of humor.

There are some good videos out there, and there are a few good threads on TalkBass.com, but that's mostly jazz style players from what I've seen.

When I have serious questions on playing, technique and the like I come here. Gear I go to the Union.

Jeff O has given me some helpful advice, as well as some of the other URB players here. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. I play mostly folk/bluegrass style stuff. I love rockabilly, but I'm about as simple as you can get with a lot of that style.

Best beginner advice I can offer:

Practice with a tuner until you're comfortable hitting the notes dead on more often than not.

Open notes are your friend.

Marks on the side of the neck are NOT cheating, I have dots with paint pen as a guitar would have.

If you plan on slapping, make sure the bass is set up for it. The guy I bought my bass from tried to learn RAB style slap for years with super high tension steel strings, set way too high, with no luck. I dropped some Superior Bassworks nylons on, adjusted the bridge, and was in slap heaven.

Super glue helps stay away from right hand blisters.

Have fun!

Oh yeah, and unless you're at a festival with a bunch of URB players, just having it on stage makes up for 30% of your mistakes.

People WILL call it a cello. A lot.

The FB Union Tavo mentioned can be a good resource, but if you don't like sifting through snark and jackassery it may not be for you. Good group, and some amazing players (as well as hacks like me), but be sure to bring your sense of humor.

There are some good videos out there, and there are a few good threads on TalkBass.com, but that's mostly jazz style players from what I've seen.

When I have serious questions on playing, technique and the like I come here. Gear I go to the Union.

Jeff O has given me some helpful advice, as well as some of the other URB players here. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. I play mostly folk/bluegrass style stuff. I love rockabilly, but I'm about as simple as you can get with a lot of that style.

Best beginner advice I can offer:

Practice with a tuner until you're comfortable hitting the notes dead on more often than not.

Open notes are your friend.

Marks on the side of the neck are NOT cheating, I have dots with paint pen as a guitar would have.

If you plan on slapping, make sure the bass is set up for it. The guy I bought my bass from tried to learn RAB style slap for years with super high tension steel strings, set way too high, with no luck. I dropped some Superior Bassworks nylons on, adjusted the bridge, and was in slap heaven.

Super glue helps stay away from right hand blisters.

Have fun!

– Ripley1046

I have a fretless bass with an unmarked neck. There are dots on the side of the neck like a guitar but they are where the fret would be. On a guitar they are between the frets.

Two tips.

1) always practice acoustically to build up your strength stamina and tone, just like Billy mentioned.

2) practice with metronome.

My son was just starting on upright when I ordered this:

http://learnrootsmusic.com/...

Within a week, he was triple slapping and keeping with the tune. I highly recommend it for the style. I hope that helps.

PT, yes the markers are on the note, I guess I was saying the position (or frets) are marked in the same spots. 3, 5, 7, 9, 12.

I've been meaning to get that DVD. Got Paul's RAB guitar DVD a few years back and learned a lot from it.

yeah, Pete has a few vids on youtube and she's already been absorbing them.

Register Sign in to join the conversation