The Bass-ment

Hofner Bass Experts - Pickup Question

Question: Aside from cosmetically, how do the Hofner Staple pickups differ from their precursor, the Hofner Diamond logo pickups? I'm not looking to switch pickups in my CT Cavern bass or anything; I am just curious. I've done some internet research on the subject and have thus far come up with nothing.

Gracias!

There were a number of different Hofner pickups with diamond logos, but if you're talking about the difference between Cavern bass pickups and the staple pickups, the main difference is that the Cavern bass diamond pickups have two rows of staple poles hidden under the covers, while the staple pickups have one row of exposed staples and one row of exposed screws. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much the same.

There were a number of different Hofner pickups with diamond logos, but if you're talking about the difference between Cavern bass pickups and the staple pickups, the main difference is that the Cavern bass diamond pickups have two rows of staple poles hidden under the covers, while the staple pickups have one row of exposed staples and one row of exposed screws. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much the same.

– Afire

Interesting . . .they're both single coil, though, ja?

Nope, they're both humbuckers.

Diamond cover bass pickup:

http://www.vintagehofner.co...

The innards of the staple pickup look about the same, but one row of staples is replaced with screws and both the screws and staple are expose through the covers.

Makes sense. Humbuckers: two bobbins . . . the Staple Pickups only look like they're single coil.

So are the "staples" magnets or just plain old slugs?

I see. Thanks, Afire.

I think I'll take peek at that site, rather than continue to bug you.

Just about anything you'd ever want to know about vintage Hofners is on there, and plenty of eye candy.

Just about anything you'd ever want to know about vintage Hofners is on there, and plenty of eye candy.

– Afire

You said it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

"Diamond Logo" Pickup

Register Sign in to join the conversation