The Bass-ment

Fender Bass VI Your Thoughts

I like her Dano. A 1967 model, I suppose reissue. Nice sound to it.

Will from rockongoodpeople has a Dano baritone RI.

Steve Gibson on the left holding Grady Martin's original Dano 6 string bass, and Duane with his signature 6sb.

Duane's bass is so awesome

Duane's bass is so awesome

– Otter

Duane is so awesome!

A Bass is one octave below guitar. Always. So if it has 4 or 6, it's still tuned one octave below a standard guitar.

Baritone is any tuning that starts above that low E of a bass.

I've heard so many people quote different sets of hard and fast rules about bass vs baritone, that I'm convinced there is no set of hard and fast rules. Call it whatever makes you happy.

Listen to Crazy by Patsy Cline. To get that classic Nashville sound, you need an upright bass and a 6 string bass playing in unison. It was called Tic Tac bass. In the studio, it was Bob Moore on upright, and Harold Bradley on Danelectro 6 string bass. Listen in stereo...the upright is usually in one speaker, and the Danelectro in the other. In Patsy's live band, they usually had an upright and a Bass VI. It's that classic sound that was used on everyone from Brenda Lee to Roy Orbison. On the other hand, Duane did some pretty cool leads on his Danelectro 6 string bass. By the late-90's, there were lots of those Danelectros around Nashville, and players started experimenting with lighter strings and tuning the instrument half an octave or so higher than a regular bass. That was called Baritone guitar, but it was originally just a tuning. Since then, 27" instruments have been built that were never intended to be anything other than a Baritone. Whatever you do, just don't call your 4-string bass a Bass Guitar. It's an electric bass.

Listen to Crazy by Patsy Cline. To get that classic Nashville sound, you need an upright bass and a 6 string bass playing in unison. It was called Tic Tac bass. In the studio, it was Bob Moore on upright, and Harold Bradley on Danelectro 6 string bass. Listen in stereo...the upright is usually in one speaker, and the Danelectro in the other. In Patsy's live band, they usually had an upright and a Bass VI. It's that classic sound that was used on everyone from Brenda Lee to Roy Orbison. On the other hand, Duane did some pretty cool leads on his Danelectro 6 string bass. By the late-90's, there were lots of those Danelectros around Nashville, and players started experimenting with lighter strings and tuning the instrument half an octave or so higher than a regular bass. That was called Baritone guitar, but it was originally just a tuning. Since then, 27" instruments have been built that were never intended to be anything other than a Baritone. Whatever you do, just don't call your 4-string bass a Bass Guitar. It's an electric bass.

– Billy Zoom

I was in love w the bass in recordings far before guitar as a kid and w our stereo console as the centerpiece of our home I was glued to that thing, including several trips to the ER for stitches from hitting my head on it to boot! All to say I loved how they would separate the upright on one side and the danelectro on the other for "Tictac" bass as you shared.

These are my very favorites from Elvis and its even cooler when the piano hits as well.

Every few years, I depend on Billy Zoom to explain about the six string bass guitar. Thanks, Billy.

Yes, Harold Bradley played the tic tac bass (Dano 6 string bass guitar) on countless hits of out Nashville, and he was one of the big three guitar players... Grady Martin, Hank Garland, and Harold. Here he is last December with Duane's new signature model...he loved it. By the way, he's 91 and works whenever he wants to. The best stories.

DEED I WANT THAT DUANE model 6 string bass!!!! I will come out and work for you there in the Nash'burbs to prove how much I need one of those.I will wash all the windows on the Gretsch building to show my loyalty as well, paint it even! Oh my gosh, when Duane laid into that thing on stage, I was in a state of gretsch lust like no other Pianos came out of that thing.

ps.. here's that bass dual thing happening in real time w elvis, Upright and electric duo

Harold Bradley's Dano case. Why get a new one when the sixty year old one is perfectly good? Note the coffin shape.

Rene Hall is another early Dano six string bass user, best known "six string bass up front" recordings are probably the Ritchie Valens recordings (and Chan Romero) . Originally from New Orleans, he was a west coast studio guy before they called it "the wrecking crew". He plays six string bass on a lot of instrumentals, is on a lot of sessions with Earl Palmer.

Pretty sure these two records are Hall :

More Rene Hall on a Dano (the Del-fi records with Rene Hall on guitar and six-string bass and Earl Palmer on drums were obviously a big inspiration for JD McPherson, among others)

"Among others "indeed. i can think of quite a few bands that latched onto that Chan Romero tone.

While my primary six string weapons of choice are "regular" guitars, I've been a fan of the six string bass and baritone sound ever since Duane Eddy took us in some new, even lower, sonic directions. Currently my lower level six string family includes a 1995 Danelectro Baritone, a 2015 Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI w/vibrato and a 2016 Gretsch Jet Baritone w/Bigsby.

Of course, I knew they all have their own moody/funky vibe, but I was surprised to hear just how good a six string bass can sound in the hands of a jazz master. Some of you may be familiar with this, but it's relatively new to my ears, so I thought I'd share. Check out Wes Montgomery's take on "Body And Soul" from his "Movin' Along" album.

Link

So what's the tuning on a classic tic-tac danelectro six string?

And what's the tuning on Duane's own Gretsch?

BTW, Deed, as of now it's only Duane's guitar, it will become a signature model when Joe has it rolling out the assembly line for us to purchase!

This is a soundtrack I did for a documentary here in Brazil. There are plenty of Bass VI on it, like this one:

Fun stuff!

The entire playlist, just because:

Dano six string bass, tic tac...E to E

BTW, Duane's signature model... E to E.

Thanks Deed! So like a bass with additional B and high E, which is the same as a guitar ine octave lower. I love the sound out of these, but what are some modern iterations of this kind of bass 6? I can find 6 string basses ( starting with a low B), baritone guitars ( such as the Reverend descent) For a bass VI, there's the Squier, the Mim pawnshop is out of production, in the Dano catalogue I can find a B to B baritone... Can someone point a modern production bass VI ? Thanks

Register Sign in to join the conversation