The Bass-ment

Fender Bass VI Your Thoughts

It's a bass, it's a guitar, no, it's a Bass VI.

Do you feel a Bass VI, wheather Fender, Fender Squier, or other brands. I figure they are either really helpful being unique in nature or maybe not useful at all because of it's uniqueness.

Would a bass player or guitarist find this more useful an instrument?

I am always drawn into the various permutations...

Bass 6, 4-string Bass, 5-string Bass, Baritone guitar, etc.

When the 5-string Bass came out in the 80's you would have thought without precedence.

Now, there are 7-string Basses, not to mention the Octave paired 8-string and 12-string.

Play a Bass 6 on the upper registers, is it a Baritone?

Apparently, a Guitar player can get his or her head around 6 strings...And then somehow a Bass player can add another.

Where a 7-string guitar came from has to do with a pinkie finger 1 1/2" too long and nowhere to go!

Knee jerk response to the popularity of Royal Blood?

I love my Bass VI and my baritones. I´m aways using them on recordings and live gigs. There are plenty of good uses on them

The bass VI to me is a lot easier to deal with because you don't have to recompute your muscle memory for songs you learned on the regular guitar. However as others on this form frequently warn, you can goof up your bass player pretty easily with one of those things. The tonal space occupied by either a baritone or a six string bass though is way cool, and is quite useful in a lot of the music forms I play. I even saw an indie rock act the other day which had a baritone instead of a base, which I thought actually worked out pretty well.

Would a bass player or guitarist find this more useful an instrument?

Guitarist

A Bass VI really doesn't offer many advantages to a traditional bass player. But, it does offer some sonic spaces not normally available to a guitarist. So, I think that the Bass VI is more valuable to a guitarist.

Bass VI was made good use of on this -

The Bealtes used one in 1969 on lots of Let It Be. It was given to them along with early silver panel amps, a Jazz bass, Rhodes, etc. I think the Harrison Telecaster came separately.

To me, a Bass guitar is better off in the hands of a Bass player, Like Timmy, Not me. I have played with a Bass but I'm no Bass player, I guess is what I'm saying.

There are a lot of great Bass 6 tracks.

The "sleeper" maybe be Aerosmith's "Back in the Saddle"...

We all keep counting great RnR songs, that is, in your face, a great one.

– ThePolecats

That was Vincent Bell on a Danelectro six-string bass, no Fender VI in sight.

Robert smith from the cure uses one all the time. In the old days there many songs with drums, bass and bass vi. He generally plays one note leads around the 12th fret, but it has a very rounded tone compared to a guitar. Love it.

Also, when Damon Albarn from blue was touring a few years ago his bass player used a bass vi.

I would go straight for a custom shop one if I could afford it. Im thinking about doing the baritone neck conversion from warmoth to my strat. I love them, it's the sound of spaghetti western which is near and dear to me

It's a viable instrument, even if not the most usable. Consider---every orchestra and brass band has instruments of various sizes and ranges, whether strings or brass or drums. It's just another voice in the arsenal of sounds.

Walter, thanks for pointing that out. I must have read somewhere that it was a Bass VI on it which was erroneous information. Now I know it was a Baritone.

I would go straight for a custom shop one if I could afford it. Im thinking about doing the baritone neck conversion from warmoth to my strat. I love them, it's the sound of spaghetti western which is near and dear to me

– Chmason85

Not a CS model but what about a Squier version for about $350 used.

Walter, thanks for pointing that out. I must have read somewhere that it was a Bass VI on it which was erroneous information. Now I know it was a Baritone.

– ThePolecats

It was a six-string bass alright, just not a Fender!

I had a bass VI in the sixties and I liked it, but I still prefer the Danelectro 6 string bass. That's the one Duane used too.

Knee jerk response to the popularity of Royal Blood?

– Powdog

I love the Bass VI sound, and the Danelectro 6 string bass.

Royal Blood is just bass and drums duo. All those licks are played on a Fender or Gretsch bass with some pedals, notably a POG.

Sorry to do you rail into "what's your favorite six string bass song? " but this is awesome-

– ThePolecats

Yeessss!! My favorite show, and maybe favorite show theme, that and X-Files lol

Register Sign in to join the conversation