The Bass-ment

Beginner Bass & Amp Buying Advice Sought

Business associate o'mine has a 16-year-old son who expresses interest in playing bass.

Dad is looking for an affordable but playable bass and amp, and fantasizes about getting out for 300.00 or under.

I see Squier Affinity P-Bass & Rumble 15 packs for 349.00 or so. Any reason why that wouldn't be the default choice? Anyone have better suggestions?

He's not looking for used, because more hassle and complication. But I'm sure he'd go for a used rig if it were properly vetted, with assurance of general OK-ness. If that's the route, I'm happy to handle the logistics for him, get the pieces together and tweak them as needed, then send them on.

But all-in-one and done would be easy, too.

I would say the Squier would be a good choice but have him opt for the Rumble 40. My son plays a Gretsch Jr Jet bass (short scale) and loves it.He also uses it for some lead guitar work through his DRRI like Mike Kerr of Royal Blood. He also saved up for one of the 5123 GC runs with TV Jones PU that he uses for the most part now.He started out with the Rumble 15 but was soon begging for something bigger so for the house and mic’d at church he likes the 40 mucho better.Which now has led him to use my newly acquired ‘65 Showman to play bass through. And I should have stated the Rumble 40 V3 and not the newest 40 Studio model.

I agree on the amp. If he "gets it" about playing bass, he'll be ready to play with others fairly soon, and would need something muscular enough for that level. The Rumble 15 looks a little too anemic,but it seems like a 40 would do, especially with that XLR so he can access the PA..... I honestly think the dad's a little optimistic about that $300 budget, though. Even with a short-scale Mini-P or Bronco Bass he's gonna be right around 4 bills with a Rumble 40 and if he goes with a full-size bass it'll be more than that. Depends what they can afford, but I always got the best the budget could stand so I wouldn't have to spend more upgrading later.

Why just Fender only? Rumble amps are good but there are a lot of cool basses out there.

for the love of god, Montresor, tell him to get 15" speakers, or 12s at least. i firmly believe that 10s and 8s are simply insufficient to kick out the big bass notes i love so. to make a big soundwave, IMO you need a big cone.

Can you still rent these days?

Buy the Bass, rent the Amp for a while...

I just started the process of getting rid of my sons starter equipment. If I remember, it was a guitar center special. I have a Laguna Bass and a Line 6 LowDown LD15 Amp. My son used this setup for playing in the Jr. High worship band at church. By high school he was done playing. This stuff has been in the closet for at least 8 years now.

They are yours for shipping costs. Or free to pick up in southern CA.

I also have a 3/4 Fender(?) bass from when his arms were shorter and a 2nd LD15 amp.

My plan is to donate this equipment if no one wants it.

Thanks, RcktBrew. I've passed your generous offer on, and I'll let you know.

I heard from the feller; he'd ordered the Squier set, as that's what his research led to as well. Thanks for your offer; I'm sure some school or other deserving recipient will be thrilled.

for the love of god, Montresor, tell him to get 15" speakers, or 12s at least. i firmly believe that 10s and 8s are simply insufficient to kick out the big bass notes i love so. to make a big soundwave, IMO you need a big cone.

– macphisto

While I'm also a fan of 15" speakers, Ampeg SVTs use 10s pretty well. I'd happily take another B-15 tho. Also consider a used GK rig. I'd also suggest staying with a 34" scale, but it doesn't have to be a Fender.

Probably the line of least resistance, and a good beginner home-use-only rig. Glad to see him going with a regular-scale bass!

I would say the Squier would be a good choice but have him opt for the Rumble 40. My son plays a Gretsch Jr Jet bass (short scale) and loves it.He also uses it for some lead guitar work through his DRRI like Mike Kerr of Royal Blood. He also saved up for one of the 5123 GC runs with TV Jones PU that he uses for the most part now.He started out with the Rumble 15 but was soon begging for something bigger so for the house and mic’d at church he likes the 40 mucho better.Which now has led him to use my newly acquired ‘65 Showman to play bass through. And I should have stated the Rumble 40 V3 and not the newest 40 Studio model.

– Michael Williams

I agree, Rumble 40 and Squier Bass

Register Sign in to join the conversation