About the Gretsch Pages

Why can’t mods delete spam posts?

It would be nice if they just disappeared.

Hunt the spammers down and beat them with a fish.

Probably because we don't have mods on this forum.

Probably because we don't have mods on this forum.

– Tartan Phantom

Only 1.

The site say's it isn't secure, would SSL fix that?

I nominate Tartan Phantom to be a "Mod".

I've noticed the "Spam", also. it is very much a nuisance. I do know that if you make a comment in a "spam" thread, it complicates getting rid of the thread. perhaps "Rocky" could find someone to "moderate" here on the GDP.

I vote against the moderator option, I’m confident that would be the beginning of the end of the GDP.

I vote against the moderator option, I’m confident that would be the beginning of the end of the GDP.

– Curt Wilson

Certainly the end of the GDP as we know it. I'd rather live with the occasional nuisance than deal with the opposite problem. I've seen it and it's not good.

– Curt Wilson

I agree with Curt's sentiment on this 110%

I just don't think it would go well for the moderator or the moderE.

One of the shops that I would make sales calls had a manager that few liked if anyone. One person detested him and hated the way he treated people. Soon enough the manager was fired and the detestE took his place, became a bigger ass and treated people worse than the other guy.

No one likes to be moderated, we do a fantastic job keeping things in line, lets not break it.

They probably could, but we only have Rockers here!

I was a moderator on this forum back in the day. I acted as Bax would have if I saw something unpleasant. Truth is I was more of a garbage man and deleting junk like that would have been about as tough as I got and it seemed to work pretty well.

As long as personal feelings don’t get in the way I don’t see the harm in some gentle policing to keep the spam out.

Seems an easy fix to block an obvious spammer. That is very different from blocking members from controversial posts.

Certainly the end of the GDP as we know it. I'd rather live with the occasional nuisance than deal with the opposite problem. I've seen it and it's not good.

– stratman

The real problem is that it's not occasional. Seems like there are new spammers every day. If it's not guitar related, out it goes.

Which means it’s too easy to get in, fix the problem eliminate the symptoms.

There's an active component to this - active moderators (without implying that moderators are not active) - but the other part is that the forum software is at this point ancient (sorry, but true). There's another forum I visit that crashed because the host upgraded their servers and they still haven't been able to restore. Are you ready for the next crash?

Honestly - it's time for forum version to change - yes we'll lose some but not as much as the last crash (which decimated everything). Rocky and team deserve to get a new forum with new versioning and easier to moderate, without that they're stuck on crutches. (Love ya Tim, but it's time, right?)

To be pedantic, the last "crash" was not a result of underlying instability, software version incompatibility, database corruption or other miscellaneous glitch. The software did exactly what the operator told it to do...catastrophic and immediately regretted as it was. There was also no backup - also not due to hardware or software error.

And, to my understanding, all (or by far most) of the data - a decade of history - is still in the database; the content fields have just been disassociated from meaningful headers (and perhaps headers at all). Nother words, the keystrokes are preserved within the mass of data comprising the GDP; they're just not organized in an accessible way.

While I haven't seen the source code, I've always understood that the text for any given thread remains in one block, and that at least many headers remain and could be re-associated with their content. The process of saving that information would be long and laborious, but arguably worth doing. I'm guessing that, with orientation and basic instruction, volunteers from the community could help. Maybe the datastore could be broken into as many separate parts as there are volunteers willing to read through the text and attempt to identify threads. (Obviously we'd be working on copies of the database, not the live actual thing.)

Text and images are both important. I don't know whether images are also floating free in the now dissociated datasoup, but if so, with a similar effort at least some - if not most - could probably be re-attached to the relevant threads. And if images were linked from external sites - which applies to many of the images from my biggest threads, like event coverage - the text for their hyperlinks is presumably in place within the text as well.

I would be willing to dig for the buried treasure; six years after the crash, I still feel like big holes were blown in my memory. The worst of it is not that those of us who knew it was there feel the loss - it's that new users and posterity can't possibly know it was ever there, much less have any idea of the depth and breadth of the resources which are now inaccessible. The net result is that the GDP now simply represents less of Gretsch history and heritage than it once did.

These musings are all to the side of the current situation: whether a whole new code base is called for (something generic rather than Bax's customized Django?), how data can be migrated, how much would be lost (surely no text, but perhaps image associations) - and who would undertake that migration. I'm guessing it would take someone both equally familiar with Django and whatever platform comes next - and motivated and conscientious enough (nother words, who cares enough) to see the job done as well and thoroughly as possible.

And if that someone was located, and can be secured for the job - someone, that is, who is enough of a Django guru - why then not upgrade and tweak the site on that platform? Can the site afford that person? Who pays, and how?

Presumably any such migration or site patch/upgrade would button up current security holes and perhaps mitigate or even eliminate the spam problem. Barring that, as a stopgap I believe administrators can delete entire threads manually - which is what should probably happen to the spam threads. That's maintenance, not moderation. Moderation is policing behavior, and that's what we generally don't need.

In any case, I plead that whatever is ultimately done not forever obliterate the forum ghosts of 2006 - 2014 who still (if my understanding is correct) haunt the machine, hiding from us. A move which largely preserves forum history since the 2014 (wasn't it?) Database Scramble would certainly be the Minimum Acceptable Solution.

But I would hate to see all the data (including the "lost" data) of the site as a whole irrevocably deleted before some effort can be made to recover what's recoverable of that increasingly hazy history.

When's the last time you looked for a ghost? If you move, and the boxes that you move haven't been opened in 10 years, do you open the box or throw it away?

I completely agree - what's lost - the history (the fights, the flameouts, the genuine knowledge, the loss of community) is bad.

But given that it takes SO MUCH effort to restore what once was (and doesn't exist, until we restore it) who will REALLY agree to do it? I work in IT, I know what it takes to link individual database entries. It's a tough call.

To wit - my father passed away - he left me a box of slides (a LARGE box) - and I committed to scanning them daily until they were completely scanned. I gave up after about a week. I paid a company to do it for me, and never looked at them again.

The underlying data that creates "this forum" hasn't existed in years - the fellowship that has occurred DOES. Having admin'd a bunch of websites, my push is "Move On" and create a new forum, and link back to here where it can.

Forums are a dying breed. Those of us who have been here a long time know what this forum is worth. The effort to create a new forum is smaller, but still worth the effort.

As Norm would say, YMMV aka "Your Mileage May Vary"

The scammers aren't just creating new unwanted posts, but are also adding their BS as comments on older posts. Aside from Misc. Rumbles, if it isn't guitar related, spam should automatically be dumped, and the perp booted, with his computer address prohibited from joining the GDP again.

Then, beat him mercilessly with a fish.

Re: security, I will share with you all that spammers literally destroyed the "T-60 Mafia" forum, online home for Peavey T-series guitars enthusiasts, and once that board was subsumed by endless pages of spam such that it became impossible to find the actual members' legit posts, the forum was ultimately shut down and abandoned by its admin/host, and a lifetime's worth of knowledge and expertise and history generously posted there by Chip Todd, the designer of those instruments, was lost, never to be restored.

Hate to see that happen here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation