About the Gretsch Pages

Where are the young players (on the GDP)?

I'm young.

– UncleGrumpy

I think they mean actual age but yeah.

Most of the guys on the GT forum are a younger group and only talk about gear, this may be simply that you cant talk about much else without being smacked by the moderators :)

– TheNocturneBrain.com™

True..... I like some of the build threads but there seems to a dark cloud hanging over the head of that forum. It's as if everyone is afraid to talk about interesting topics outside of Gretsch.......hell, even outside of music!

Mostly a lurker, but I've been here a while. I'm 24. I Grew up on the Beatles and was always a huge harrison fan, so gretsch was more or less an inevitability for me. I'm a music major and I've never seen someone around my age with a gretsch, electromatic or pro. I guess Proteus's master plan is working though, I ordered a tru-arc a few days ago (so excited about getting rid of my space control!).

Interesting thread.

Well I'm old and new to the forum. Been playing bass and guitar since '63. Came here because of the obvious knowledge and expertise associated with the Gretsch brand. And as a new owner I feel a need for that.

However that level of knowledge and experience can be a little intimidating and the tight bonds between old members and their interaction can leave newbies feeling a little left out.

I don't think that applies only to young players - but young players possibly feel it even more.

Sorry, but I have not got the impression that this is a friendly and open forum.

– Gretschmen65

I tend to agree... and I've been here for a good while! I still post occasionally, but I visit mostly for the gear and info. When longstanding members talk about other members or topics and posts that only they remember, or simply start getting lazy and telling new folks with questions to "do a search and you'll find the answer to your question", it can make new folks feel excluded from the group.

I've also never seen so many deeply personal posts on a forum. It's great that there is a group of people that genuinely care about one another, but that's some heavy stuff for someone just joining and just excited about their first Gretsch.

Whoever said "forums are for old people", I tend to think you're right. Even Facebook is for old people. All the young people are on Instagram and Snapchat, where it's a quick easy exchange with little dialogue. A post of this length isn't even possible!

Sorry folks... we ARE old.

Im 31, is that young? I always wanted a Gretsch since high school, and after I graduated I got a used pre-2005 electromatic gold jet. I cannot stress enough how it was the worst guitar I've ever owned to this day, I think I gave it away. Flash forward to 2016, the bug never went away and I read how much better they got over the years, so I got a 2016 pro line 6129 silver jet with dynasonics, and now I cannot stress enough how it is the single greatest guitar I have ever owned, in fact, possibly the last electric I'll ever buy, at least for the next ten years. I am a die hard gretschaholic now, and I use it as my only guitar in my band, "every song, every night" as gretsch is saying. The versatility is unbelievable, as is the quality,,and the looks it gets pulling that sparkly silver piece out of the case are priceless. I've noticed the one funny tendency everyone has when they see it, including me when I got it, and that is to rub the top of the guitar lol. I like this forum the best because it's full of real musicians and very helpful advice, and it's civil. I was on a strat page where every thread eventually devolved into "you suck, someone's a dickhead, nobody knows how to set guitars up etc etc..." And where else can I directly communicate with Billy Zoom? Being that X is my all time favorite, that's priceless!

I was a young player when I joined this forum, 25. I'm not 25 any more.

Most people my age went crazy for Facebook when it first got big. At the time it was mostly about reconnecting with people, which I found more creepy and voyeuristic than fun. I deleted my account after a few months. But apparently it's much more than that now if it's taking the place of forums for gear talk. Maybe I need to give it another try. Then again, I'm not sure I need more gear talk than I'm already getting at the old forums.

I like instagram, it's the only "social media" I use. Great for directly connecting with gear companies, musicians etc.

Instagram is great. I follow just the people I want to see. Feel free to follow me @passaloutre

Instagram is great. I follow just the people I want to see. Feel free to follow me @passaloutre

– Otter

Just gave you a follow

Any other players here who have instagram, feel free to check me out @chmason85

Register Sign in to join the conversation