About the Gretsch Pages

Where are the young players (on the GDP)?

MY FAVES

have refined the use of technology, especially looping pedals

Young people have been known to partake of the GDP.. One I particularly recall from before the crash was a semi-regular young lady from the SE who played a snazzy Silver Jet, wrote and sang her own material, had a band with her Dad and (I think) her brother in the rhythm section, and had even snagged a Gretsch endorsement deal, all while still in High School I can recall that much about her, but not her name...

I recall that she did contribute some stuff, kept up to date on her career track, but after the Crash, I can't say as I have seen her around these parts at all. Without a name (or "nym") trying to see if she's still around became a bother.

Wonder what ever became of her?

IIRC her name was Morgan Bernard. I'm not on Facebook & Co. but it seems it became quiet around her. Haven't found any news.

I actually ran into Morgan at the NAMM Show a year or two ago. She was still a Gretsch artist and was still playing her Silver Jet at the time.

'A year or two ago' is a very long time in music business. Especially these days where you can (and sadly need to) update fans and followers easily through social media.

New year's wishes have been the most recent I've found.

I was going to get offended until i looked at my birth certificate...

– paul pigat

Paul, I am huge fan(honestly who cannot be?) but I blame you for causing a mess as I was having a civilized sip of beer when I read your comment and laughed therefore narfing the beer!!! I blame you for the loss of my beer and a wee tad of a mess.

All is forgiven though(all it takes is to listen to your playing).

btw..... I thought I was young but with my bad back recently, a hairline that appears to be retreating, and grey on the sides?.......well I don't need to look at my birth certificate.

I wonder how Geritol tastes with beer?

Seems like the wrong post to get curmudgeonly in.

I was young when I started this. Not as much now.

I can say this: mobile phones and Facebook have been a double whammy for most every forum I know of over the past few years.

I don't know, Bax. I remember having to lug a huge laptop all around the house at one point to keep up with you guys.

Paul, I am huge fan(honestly who cannot be?) but I blame you for causing a mess as I was having a civilized sip of beer when I read your comment and laughed therefore narfing the beer!!! I blame you for the loss of my beer and a wee tad of a mess.

All is forgiven though(all it takes is to listen to your playing).

btw..... I thought I was young but with my bad back recently, a hairline that appears to be retreating, and grey on the sides?.......well I don't need to look at my birth certificate.

I wonder how Geritol tastes with beer?

– NJDevil

Geritol.....talk about dating yourself! Haven't heard about that stuff since it shared advertising time with Carter's Little Liver Pills!

These two things would suit being included in my old thread: "Things you don't see anymore"

Remember, Geritol spelled backwards is Lotireg.

No wait. That was Serutan.

(Clear memories of commercials during The Guy Lombardo Show, as watched in black and white, after rotating the TV antenna for minimal interference, on my grandparents' Sylvania. They got two channels, and it required antenna rotation to switch between them.)

Most people under 30 don't remember rotary phones, or burning leaves in fall.

My best friend in high school lived on Geritol---10% alcohol.

My home town has the first UHF station in the US---we had to add a UHF converter box. The other day I had a thought---I've been driving legally for 50 years.

As to the topic of this thread---hopefully, the kids are out playing gigs. It's 12.30 Sat AM.

Forums are for old folks.

– Curt Wilson

I think this statement hits the nail squarely on the head.

Remember, Geritol spelled backwards is Lotireg.

No wait. That was Serutan.

(Clear memories of commercials during The Guy Lombardo Show, as watched in black and white, after rotating the TV antenna for minimal interference, on my grandparents' Sylvania. They got two channels, and it required antenna rotation to switch between them.)

– Proteus

And here's another old fart reminiscence to go with your memory of fiddling with the rabbit ears for optimal reception. Just when you get the reception dialed in, the omnipresent horizontal roll would set in just to irritate you further!

I've run /helped run the Setzer fan forum for near 2 decades. Its been a ghost town since the onslaught of mobile phones, facebook and instagram. Thats just the way it is, forums are mostly old dudes now. So much info gets passed on facebook pages, reddit, snapchat,etc ..Even my Barber is 20yrs younger than me and they use only instagram for growth. They started w 2 chairs about 3 yrs ago, and now have 10. All instagram and word of mouth.

You cats are shaking fists at the sky. I wish it could be the way it used to be but used to be's dont count anymore, they just lie on the floor till you sweep them away.

I've been here since 2002 (lurking before that) and will be every day until my lease is up. I'm 50 young baby! ( I dont remember the beatles and dont care to, baahahah)

So Bax needs to figure out how to migrate the GDP over to Instagram?

Instagram is all photos, captions and hashtags though.. You cant bottle up Proteus like that now :) Fwiw.. I run #Gretschmafia on FB and folks post pics but dont really banter w one another back and forth, its not like here.

Young players would be more interested talking about music they make. This forum, as I remember, more interested talking about gear.

I haven't been here in a couple of years myself, but like Gretschmen65, I don't recall it being too open and friendly to someone who is not interested to go to roundups.

I've been posting regularly for like 3 years before, and being a pro musician, I thought I could afford a strong opinion on music discussions, but I always had the feeling it's reserved for the inner circle. Maybe I'm wrong, but you had a nice tradition to post Happy Birthdays for the regulars, somehow I never got one. Hmmm...

Anyway, I got really interested in jazz, and I'm happy to be on a jazz forum these days, where you can actually talk music more.

The young players playing Gretsch guitars are out there, though, I saw many here in NYC, hopefully some will join this forum, every one needs new blood!

Young players would be more interested talking about music they make. This forum, as I remember, more interested talking about gear.

I haven't been here in a couple of years myself, but like Gretschmen65, I don't recall it being too open and friendly to someone who is not interested to go to roundups.

I've been posting regularly for like 3 years before, and being a pro musician, I thought I could afford a strong opinion on music discussions, but I always had the feeling it's reserved for the inner circle. Maybe I'm wrong, but you had a nice tradition to post Happy Birthdays for the regulars, somehow I never got one. Hmmm...

Anyway, I got really interested in jazz, and I'm happy to be on a jazz forum these days, where you can actually talk music more.

The young players playing Gretsch guitars are out there, though, I saw many here in NYC, hopefully some will join this forum, every one needs new blood!

– rocksteady

Rocksteady, the opinions of all, regardless of age and genre, are very much welcome. As I noted above, some new members have appeared on the site and have, in a very brash and judgmental manner, expressed their ideas and opinions. They usually don't last long because self-important and dismissive attitudes generally don't make friends here very easily. Better for them to express their ideas in a friendly and positive manner which almost invariably are met with open arms.

As for birthday greetings, there is nothing that is formalized or structured about for whom greetings get posted. In my own case, I usually post for people that I know. But, before posting greetings, I look at the person's profile and see how many times (s)he has posted, and how recent they have posted. Knowing that people tend to come and go from a guitar forum, I tend to assume that, if someone only has 60 posts but has been a member for seven years, they probably aren't very active. Also, if they haven't posted for a couple of years, I again assume that they aren't very active and don't create a birthday thread. In your case, you have over 500 posts which tells me that you have been fairly active at some point. It looks to have been over a year since you last posted a thread, so it is possible that GDPers thought you weren't still active here. I can assure you that I will now know your screen name and would most likely post up a thread for you, if I am on the site on your birthday. But, please be active here so that we can all get to know you better. I think that it is accurate to describe the membership here as being welcoming to new members. But, inevitably it all comes down to your postings.

Welcome back to the GDP.

My 19 year old son has been to two Roundups, loves them, loves the guys he meets there and loves Gretsch guitars, but seemingly has zero interest in being a member here, though I've urged him to (maybe that's part of the problem).

I can see two reasons for the dearth of young blood. One, looking back at my own youth, I cared little for technical minutia. A guitar was either good or it wasn't (mostly according to brand), and I either liked it or I didn't. Talk of fretboard radii, saddle materials, bracing types etc, etc, etc, etc held absolutely ZERO interest to me; and not because I wasn't nerdy or techy, I was a cabinetmaker and actually built a few guitars. I just wasn't a guitar "wonk" and cared much more (as others here have said) about the music than the instruments. Now at the ripe young age of 57, I'm completely fascinated by the intricacies of what makes instrument work, but I do think some of that is a result of my age.

The second has to do with the naiveté and arrogance of youth combined with technology. I've taught each of my three sons to drive a stick. When my youngest Henry (the aforementioned Roundup attendee) got to the right age to learn, he told me he already knew how to drive a stick because he had watched YouTube videos on it and he had it down. Even his brother couldn't convince him that he actually needed hand-on (feet -on) experience. Needless to say, the first time we went out in my car to have a go at it, he found that there was a difference between a theoretical understanding and a practical knowledge. But I do think these two things are a large part of why there aren't more younger people here than there are.

That, and the "aroma of old men".

Their too busy writing songs, doing videos and no time for (relic) forums.

That's how I see it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation