About the Gretsch Pages

What don’t I know?

Something is amiss.

...been this way for a some time...

Has Bax and his support lost their interest to keep GDP going?

The Election was rough.

Whatever things were before the French Lick roundup, then New Year's, certainly after the great NAMM coverage, lots of folks have left, can't email, can't post pics, no updates or info...

A memo seems appropriate.

No other way to tell...

NAMM was a little over three weeks ago. I have been waiting for the phone company a little longer than that to get my house line working properly, they haven't showed yet.

I do believe we have had brief comments from members that have been in touch with Baxter...I can't imagine the complexity of running a site like this. The general consensus is, "He's working on it." AND, Bear's back.

Win, win.

I think Bax is juggling priorities with a new job. Also, maybe it's just a case of some Winter Blues. Two of my supervisors at work were recently mentioning how their staffs have been lately. Things will bounce back.

I know he just got a new house and I'm sure they're still trying to get settled in. I don't know that we've lost anyone. Lots of people come and go when they will. I do that myself sometimes, I'm just not missed so much when I do.

I Googled, and was surprised to find that some bears don't hibernate.

Bear-Don't-Hibernate

Something is amiss.

The Election was rough.

Whatever things were before the French Lick roundup, then New Year's, certainly after the great NAMM coverage, lots of folks have left, can't email, can't post pics, no updates or info...

No other way to tell...

– Twangmeisternyc

Well, let me clarify one thing you mentioned...

There is no "Baxter and his support".

There is only Baxter, and he is subject to the same time constraints of life as the rest of us. Which means that, for a "free membership" website, active management is most likely done on a time-available basis. And there have been some rather significant life-changes in play for him recently.

As far as support, I do my best to keep the guitar database afloat with some sense of accuracy and continuity, but that's the limitation of my access. I do not have (and do not want) access to coding, compiling, server/storage management, or any other of the cogs that make the wheels on this big machine go round. There are no "moderators" here, and no "IT management" staff except for the owner and creator of the site. I have volunteered for and participated in occasional Beta-testing, but again, that's purely voluntary.

We've been through patches of issues on this site before, and things have always worked out. If I were paying an annual membership fee, I might complain... but since there isn't, I don't. In fact, I'm so far behind on my periodic voluntary donations (see "DONATE" button on the right of the screen) that Baxter is probably wondering if I'm hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa.

There are other websites (not necessarily guitar-related) to which I belong where I pay an annual fee... and truthfully, I still don't visit them half as much as I visit here.

There is only Baxter, and he is subject to the same time constraints of life as the rest of us. Which means that, for a "free membership" website, active management is most likely done on a time-available basis. And there have been some rather significant life-changes in play for him recently.

As far as support, I do my best to keep the guitar database afloat with some sense of accuracy and continuity, but that's the limitation of my access. I do not have (and do not want) access to coding, compiling, server/storage management, or any other of the cogs that make the wheels on this big machine go round. There are no "moderators" here, and no "IT management" staff except for the owner and creator of the site. I have volunteered for and participated in occasional Beta-testing, but again, that's purely voluntary.

We've been through patches of issues on this site before, and things have always worked out. If I were paying an annual membership fee, I might complain... but since there isn't, I don't. In fact, I'm so far behind on my periodic voluntary donations (see "DONATE" button on the right of the screen) that Baxter is probably wondering if I'm hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa.

There are other websites (not necessarily guitar-related) to which I belong where I pay an annual fee... and truthfully, I still don't visit them half as much as I visit here.

– Tartan Phantom

...which reminds me of not having pressed that button on the right for a while. So I just did.

It's not supposed to fasten things up but just telling Bax we are with him. And it will not hurt either.

So feel free to send a buck or ten. Do it here -------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

– Tartan Phantom

That's quite an oratory. No disrespect or ungratefulness intended - We just want to be able to contact each other and post pics - all else is really good here. I think everyone's grateful, but would be even more grateful if this can be corrected over the course of weeks to a month or so, and well, to the OP's point, its been a while.

When I tried to reach him first to ask, even that went "Aw, Nuts!"

I fully appreciate all your comments and however you add support.

Bax has been at this a long while...his choice how to continue.

I think that what makes some of us more understanding (and patient) with this situation is that we know Baxter personally and have some better understanding of how he works. We know that he cares about the GDP; but, we also know about his work commitments and how he has to balance activities in his life. We also know that he recently moved and that that alone has created a bit of upheaval in his life.

I don't think that Bax would mind my sharing a portion of his email to me on this topic. Here it is:

Things have been beyond crazy, especially when I'm near a laptop and could do anything about it. It does have my attention (along with some other pressing GDP issues), I just don't have an ETA for a fix yet. Thank you for understanding.

I view it as a temporary inconvenience and am willing to wait for the fix to be made.

That's quite an oratory. No disrespect or ungratefulness intended - We just want to be able to contact each other and post pics - all else is really good here. I think everyone's grateful, but would be even more grateful if this can be corrected over the course of weeks to a month or so, and well, to the OP's point, its been a while.

– RichB555

No disrespect or ungratefulness perceived on your part or the OP's part... I'm just stating some facts (and opinions) that people may not be aware of. I know people often wonder why this or that isn't working properly. I apologize if you viewed my post as a defensive rant. It was certainly not intended that way.

If Baxter decided to abruptly close up shop here tomorrow, it would be a great loss to me, as there are many, many people here that I regard as extended family, including Baxter and his own family. And much like everyone else, there are areas that I would like to see fixed. But perhaps I have a greater tendency to overlook little things because of the site's personal importance to me. I understand that each member here has to determine the site's importance to himself/herself.

Something is amiss.

The Election was rough.

No other way to tell...

– Twangmeisternyc

Bax did address this somewhere, as this hasn't been the first complaint.

Apparently, the server is low on space, which is why you can't upload pics, but the workaround is to embed a link to a shared photo site like flickr, etc...

The PM, and other feature failures may be caused by the same thing.

I Googled, and was surprised to find that some bears don't hibernate.

Bear-Don't-Hibernate

– crowbone

That's funny.

I am grateful for the fact that Baxter spends any time at all on this site. Gretsch/Fender should pay him.

Register Sign in to join the conversation