About the Gretsch Pages

Up/Down Status…..

I almost created a group on Facebook for the up/down status of GDP forum.

Phew ! I was getting worried!

Host migrated something and broke it. Sorry for the lengthy outage. Rocky is tied up with some other very important things, and I didn't know it was down until someone pinged me.

...and this is the shortest list of active topics I've ever seen! How are we going to remember where we were?

Guess, we will simply rebuild.

Welcome back, regardless!

Glad it's back. I have my ideas about what could be done but we all do.

I was getting concerned, I'm glad we're back up and running! Thanks Baxter!

I missed you guys, stay well. T.

....DARNED!!!! I MISSED it!

You know its bad when folks ask on Facebook what's up with Gretsch Pages

That was me. Thanks

Good to be back. I had the shakes!

These episodes are worrisome ... But we have survived several of them over the years. So I just take a deep breath, relax, and go do some guitar exercises or try to learn some new songs.........

You know its bad when folks ask on Facebook what's up with Gretsch Pages

– Mark G

And, I confess to asking on, not just one but, two Facebook pages. Hey, what can I say, this is the best guitar forum on the net. I have my priorities.

As mentioned above, is there an explanation why the active topics list these days is so short? I remember some went three pages, or more

It was totally empty when the pages were restarted by Bax, but some of us found recent threads under "topics you commented on" and per Proteus' thoughts, bump'd them into more current status.

My guess is the host migration that brought about the outage lost whatever was there beforehand.

Latest topics I’d whatever is active over the past 24 hours. So if you have a 24 hour outage... well there you go.

is there an explanation why the active topics list these days is so short? I remember some went three pages, or more

Depends on what you mean by "these days." If you mean today...as Kevin says, the Active Topics list started completely empty when the site came back up today - because the list includes topics active in the previous 24 hours, and the site had been down for more than a day. The algorithm did the math: nothing had changed for a day, so the list was empty.

But in general, the menu of topics active in the previous 24 hours has simply been getting shorter for the last couple of years. This reflects the drifting away (either through boredom and over-familiarity or some active sense of alienation or hostility) of many active members, most of whom posted daily. It may also be a function of our core membership starting to age out of the guitar "hobby," and/or of potential younger new members seeing both discussion forums in general - and the GDP in particular - as being the domain of Old People. They may feel no particular connection to the musical worlds much of us inhabit.

So kind of a perfect storm, alas - and perhaps a self-perpetuating vicious cycle. On the other hand, it could be a normal ebb and flow in the life of any forum, which goes through periods of bustling vitality and then relatively down periods as membership changes and there seems to be less energy in general. (Also, for the most part we're very polite here, with a minimum of hostility and confrontation - and, like it or loathe it, controversy and conflict do build viewership, because no one can resist gathering around a good knockdown-dragout. When fraught confrontational topics were banned, I'm pretty sure participation declined. That may be a good thing.)

But back to the original question: I make it habit of counting how many daily active topics there are. (I don't keep a spreadsheet; maybe I should.) We've actually picked up appreciably in the last several months, thanks to some welcome prodigal returns - but also to at least a small raft of new members who are discovering Gretsch, or the GDP, for the first time. I hope those folks stick, so we should be nice to them. (But not creepy.)

When the active daily topics list falls below 25 (one page full), I get concerned. If the count gets too low, we'll look dead. And those who look dead get left on the battlefield to die, even if there might have been a chance for them. In the last couple of weeks, we've been up to a max of 37 or 38 new posts in a day, which gives us a healthy portion of a second page. But I can't remember when we last had over two pages (50 active topics). And, yeah, it used to be three pages or more. It was hard to keep up.

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE? (Admins, please note.) Lots. A variety of changes have been suggested and are presumably being considered which might make the place more attractive and "friendlier" to the wider Gretsch community (read: younger players), people whose demographic are not roots, Chet, rockabilly, Beatles/60s, classic rock, etc. Gretsch is having all-time great sales years - whatever music it is their buyers are playing. The GDP should too.

BUT SOMETHING CAN BE DONE ABOUT THE ACTIVE TOPICS ISSUE right now. (Yes, I'm yelling.) Just extending the look-back to 48 hours - or even 72 hours - would keep a lot more topics active longer. It would make us look busier. And since it would help the more geriatric among us - who may have gotten slower on the uptake (yes, I'm mostly exaggerating for effect) remember just what we were talking about - it would also extend our engagement with threads whose 24-hour shelf life expires before we notice them (or think of anything useful to say). It might actually lead to more activity - but in any case, it would look like we're busier.

When you're filming a sparser crowd, all spread out, you have to pull back for a longer view - and change the angle to minimize the appearance of space between.

Facebook and iPhones are also factors. Forums everywhere seem to struggle.

I like the idea of lengthening the latest topics and you’re right it should be a small change.

Host migrated something and broke it. Sorry for the lengthy outage. Rocky is tied up with some other very important things, and I didn't know it was down until someone pinged me.

– Baxter

I’m getting Nuts on the home page and both of Mr. Tubs new threads.

I’m still getting Aw, nuts when I try to come in through the homepage. Tried clearing my cookies to see if that would help but no joy.

same here. The homepage doesn't load, but if I google to the "latest active topics" it works, Hmmmm.

Register Sign in to join the conversation