About the Gretsch Pages

The Dan Duffy Discussion

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a spot for Dan on the forum in the form of a sticky or some place to honor him. I notice that many of the discussions in the topic don't correspond to the titles (a remnant of the meltdown I assume) and it seems like some type of place on the mantel would be nice. Obviously some editing would be in order, maybe keep the threads that he commented in, include a link to Amazon or wherever his book is available....???? It feels to me like some type of closure is needed. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

A good project would be for someone to go through his book and make something like a FAQ or "According to Dan" document that would list the actual information he had about procedure and process at the factory during his tenure

I would get a lot out of such a FAQ.

I'd settle for a not-all-caps version of the book.

If anyone is willing to do the legwork, talk to me. I'll find a good home for your efforts

If anyone is willing to do the legwork, talk to me. I'll find a good home for your efforts

– Baxter

I'd be willing to go through all the posts and delete all the ones with mismatched titles. After that, maybe edit the ones with Dan's replies and comments. I don't think we would have the right to do anything with the material in the book. That would be an entirely separate project anyway. I'm really just talking about a place on the forum with a concise biography and some of his comments and answers to questions, etc. It would be a permanent place for him on the forum.

I could do this but would need a little guidance from Baxter. The first order of business would be to clean up what is there. Then compile the text for the sticky or whatever form it would take.

I was looking at the duffy forum and many of the text panels seem empty

what's up with that?

As far as I'm concerned Journeyman can do as he suggests. Better just one guy sort it out rather than two doing parallels and forcing Bax to choose.

I was looking into the project but when I went to check the Dan corner I found many of the posts were blank.

These kind of things can be tedious (which is why I'm so willing to un-touch it but if I can help in any way just let me know.

No worries, mates

As far as I'm concerned Journeyman can do as he suggests. Better just one guy sort it out rather than two doing parallels and forcing Bax to choose.

I was looking into the project but when I went to check the Dan corner I found many of the posts were blank.

These kind of things can be tedious (which is why I'm so willing to un-touch it but if I can help in any way just let me know.

No worries, mates

– norm van maastricht

Maybe lost in the crash?

Maybe lost in the crash?

– NJBob

How'd ya guess?

I just checked the Wayback archive for June of 2014 and there's a load of Duffy stuff.

Wayback - June 2014

– NJBob

That would come in handy; thanks. I just need to get access to the Dan Duffy section, then I can start editing. I'll start looking through the Wayback posts and make notes. I would like to establish a set of criteria for deleting or including posts or threads. That would avoid upsetting folks whose post might not be included. If anyone would like to make suggestions I will put together a list of criteria and make final decisions based on the wishes of the members. My feeling is that the whole thing should be concise and in most cases, exclude threads that Dan was not involved in. The exceptions would be threads or posts that contained information that is informative and not found elsewhere on the forum.

Here's the thing about the mismatched titles... most likely, the original posts are still around, but with the wrong topic title. If we can find the threads (searching for a particular text string, for example) then we can correct the title and all is right with the world again.

If.

It won't be easy tracking them down, though.

And, why delete anything on a thread. To do that loses a bit of the "flavor." "b" is the key with quotation marks. Olivia Anne

And, why delete anything on a thread. To do that loses a bit of the "flavor." "b" is the key with quotation marks. Olivia Anne

– Olivia Anne

Sorry Olivia, I don't know what "flavor.b means, but what I would consider deleting, for example, would be where a question was posed by an original poster and no ensuing discussion occurred, and no answer provided.

I drew up the FAQ for Paul Yandell on the chetboard forum because he grumbled about having to answer the same questions over and over again.

What I would like to see is Journeyman doing a similar thing. After he sketches out a brief opening bio and summation of how Dan got the gig the rest would be sectional.

Posts of a similar nature would be edited and blended in such a way that the end result would be conversational in nature. This would eliminate redundancy and make the result more powerfully informative.

Those posted quotes by Paul Yandell you see me constantly making here were done that way. I would take sometimes several of his posts, clean up the spelling and punctuation and blend them in such a way that posts made weeks or months apart would read conversationally as if they were made in one pseudo-interview. I would strive to keep his wording exact so as not to lose his "voice."

If I had the posts in hand and was designated to to the Duffy Discussions I would do it the same way...

I drew up the FAQ for Paul Yandell on the chetboard forum because he grumbled about having to answer the same questions over and over again.

What I would like to see is Journeyman doing a similar thing. After he sketches out a brief opening bio and summation of how Dan got the gig the rest would be sectional.

Posts of a similar nature would be edited and blended in such a way that the end result would be conversational in nature. This would eliminate redundancy and make the result more powerfully informative.

Those posted quotes by Paul Yandell you see me constantly making here were done that way. I would take sometimes several of his posts, clean up the spelling and punctuation and blend them in such a way that posts made weeks or months apart would read conversationally as if they were made in one pseudo-interview. I would strive to keep his wording exact so as not to lose his "voice."

If I had the posts in hand and was designated to to the Duffy Discussions I would do it the same way...

– norm van maastricht

You are nominated.

I don't want to be nominated I was just suggesting Journeyman might do the same thing

– norm van maastricht

Very good suggestion Norm.

If I can help you, let me know, but I don't want to head the project

"Duffy Distilled"

I checked the Wayback link and most of the posts are blank there as well. There might not be that much available to distill. I'm assuming no one would object to deleting blank posts?

This is a noble task for sure, and it would be great to somehow distill and document the information that Dan personally contributed to this forum (i.e. the existence of the 6113 model in 1961). Big job!

Perhaps another idea, more focused at recognition, albeit less informative, would be a GDP Hall of Fame section. In addition to Dan Duffy, we could have a photo and short bio for departed Gretsch legends such as Jimmie Webster, Duke Kramer, Chet, Ray Butts, Paul Yandell, and others. Not only would it be a nice tip-of-the-hat to some folks who were integral in building the brand, but it would offer a nice (relatively brief) introduction to these folks for casual or new GDP members, identifying their contributions and putting them into historical context.

Anyway... just a thought. Probably a lot easier to pull together. I'd be happy to contribute!

This is a noble task for sure, and it would be great to somehow distill and document the information that Dan personally contributed to this forum (i.e. the existence of the 6113 model in 1961). Big job!

Perhaps another idea, more focused at recognition, albeit less informative, would be a GDP Hall of Fame section. In addition to Dan Duffy, we could have a photo and short bio for departed Gretsch legends such as Jimmie Webster, Duke Kramer, Chet, Ray Butts, Paul Yandell, and others. Not only would it be a nice tip-of-the-hat to some folks who were integral in building the brand, but it would offer a nice (relatively brief) introduction to these folks for casual or new GDP members, identifying their contributions and putting them into historical context.

Anyway... just a thought. Probably a lot easier to pull together. I'd be happy to contribute!

– kc_eddie_b

That sounds like a great idea, but perhaps another project that this one could be part of. The first task is to clean up the Dan Duffy forum; it really is a mess with all the blank posts and mismatched titles. I'm hoping Baxter will send me a PM with some instructions. I can find the time, but will need some guidance for sure.

Well, I can go back as far as 2006 in the Wayback archives; lots of good stuff there.

Hi all.

May i jump in on this topic.

After the crash I was quite frustated to loose the chance digging through all the old threads containing so much good information and especially experience on Gretsch and Guitars in general. And I had just started to explore the GDP So I had to figure out how to effectively search at least within the remainings of the old threads.

So this is what i came up with:

Searching in google with the following syntax finds only threads with actual content (!) that contain your point of interest:

"years ago" site:gretschpages.com

This might be just in the title, which would not help, but also in the exisiting thread messages. So at least you filter out empty threads and if you check the google results and just concentrate on the shown page excerpts and not the page title you can find what your looking for.

The "trick" is that still existing messages always contains the time information like "5 years ago" and as the big crash was 2014 (> 1 year) it is always x years ago.

You can also search more detailed per year:

"5 years ago" site:gretschpages.com

So just an example:

Search string: truarc "6 years ago" site:gretschpages.com

finds you

Need a new Choke for my Traynor Studio Mate : Other Amps : The ... gretschpages.com/forum/other-amps/.../page1/ Diese Seite übersetzen 12.11.2009 - 21 Beiträge - ‎12 Autoren I just put a brass Tru Arc on my 6120rhh. Now I can't put it down. No problems with intonation. 2 Dennis Gabbeart 6 years ago. Thanks for the ...

=> Wrong title, right content!

For this specifc purpose (Dan Duffy content) I searched for

"Dan Duffy" "9 years ago" site:gretschpages.com

"Dan Duffy" "8 years ago" site:gretschpages.com

and found the following number of threads with actual Dan Duffy messages.

9 years ago => 5 threads

8 years ago => 10 threads

5 years ago => 1 thread

4 years ago => 1 thread

Google actually throws up more than that but if you raise the number of results per page to 100 (google settings) and then search the result page for the exact string "Dan Duffy 9 years ago" you will find all of them. For these threads it would be maybe benefitial to correct the title.

I hope my description is somehow clear as I am not a native speaker and is of any help for your further activities.

Roman

Register Sign in to join the conversation