About the Gretsch Pages

Questions (and answers) about the site redesign

Bax- I am on IE9 (9.0.4, to be a little more exact), and I've cleared out my cache and cookies yet I am still having issues with this. In discussions, I have folks' avatars across the text (not at first, but about a second after the page loads, the icons migrate over anc obscure the writing). Thots?

– Kevin Fry

Bax- I am on IE9 (9.0.4, to be a little more exact), and I've cleared out my cache and cookies yet I am still having issues with this. In discussions, I have folks' avatars across the text (not at first, but about a second after the page loads, the icons migrate over anc obscure the writing). Thots?

– RicVic

Go to "Tools" and turn off "Compatibility View".

Bax,

Once this thread runs it's course do you think you could condense it to a FAQ where it is always the first post in whatever topic you're in? Basically, create a sticky. Or, could you add a new topic called, FAQ? Of course it should be a locked thread that only you or those you trust to edit or add to.

The picture posting question for one, comes up over and over by nearly every new member. It would be nice to have an organized FAQ for new members and us computer dummies.

Now here's an odd thing. While I never attempt to post on GDP from my mobile phone (poking away at those tiny letters would drive me nuts) I do log on from time to time from my mobile to see what's happening.

I get onto the website OK, but once here I can't access anything. No amount of finger prodding triggers any button to open a topic. It's not the 'phone, since other websites I visit still work OK. And the site functions perfectly from my laptop. But the GDP and my mobile just don't want to talk to each other!

Added...

Why won't my phone work? There is a known problem with some versions of Android. We're working on it. Android is very difficult to debug, as it seems no two Android devices work the same way.

For all you guys having trouble uploading pictures:

Check out those little icons to the RIGHT of the format buttons above the box you type into to post. The first one lets you link to a picture already on the interweb somewhere. The second lets you upload an image directly from your computer. The third lets you link to an arbitrary file or URL anywhere in cyberspace. The forth lets you quote stuff.

Just hover over 'em and you'll get the idea - t'ain't rocket surgery...

Nothing has changed on post formatting. You still upload and embed photos (and use all the other formatting tools) exactly the same as before.

Accidentally deleted ric12's post. He asked about guitars in Gretsch- Gear and their stories.

They are there. Look in the menu.

Baxter said:

I do NOT want this thread littered with 30 pages of the usual banter and silliness, and questions about everybody's personal edge case or desired pony.

I understand that you want to focus on bigger issues than someone running Lynx on a Babbage Differential Engine who connects to the Internet using carrier pigeon, but saying "edge cases, I'm not interested" discourages everyone from contributing.

My point is that users don't see themselves as outliers, they see themselves as central. They don't have access to, or care about, browser usage stats, or what other people's browser/OS/resolutions are. They care about the kit they own, which they use every day.

Baxter also said

There was also four months of public beta testing you could have been a part of.

I understand the frustration of dealing with post-release bugs and issues not raised by beta testers, but most users do not want to beta test - it's boring, and time-consuming. In terms of user involvement, beta testers are the edge cases.

It looks like I am now unable to watch threads. I click on "watch" and receive the confirmation page, but then nothing is showing up in my watched item list.

-- Edit by admin -- this is now corrected.

I understand that you want to focus on bigger issues ... but saying "edge cases, I'm not interested" discourages everyone from contributing.

It should be clear: This particular thread is not about contributing. This particular thread is me compiling the same questions that come up over and over again, so there's one place to easily find them. The more chatter, the harder that gets.

Sandy raises some valid points above that I'm going to let stand in what should otherwise by pretty much just questions and answers (because as a matter of principle I don't believe in deleting posts in which I'm called out) but this particular thread is not the place for them.

Tim I did as you said. It worked Thank you. This one post will be the extent of my littering. There's other places for that.

LA drive by..

BAMM! when I scroll down, the entire page jumps and my eyes spin like a vegas slot machine..cant find where I was trying to look. End up lost and just close my laptop. Fine for the iphone but on firefox its wiggish. This happens without any beer involved.

ditto on the jumping scrolling thing with firefox. I thought it was a new feature. ;-)

Bryan, Tavo, you're going to have to give me something to go on.. browser version, screen size, etc. I can't replicate it.

I notice that when I scroll down 'Latest Topics', once I get down past the first dozen or so, the items are often no longer in 'time order' — by that I mean how long since the last post was made on a particular thread. They can jig about between several (different) hours to just minutes. Sorry about this — it might just be me.

Me too Dave, some are repeated and others are missing.

I notice that when I scroll down 'Latest Topics', once I get down past the first dozen or so, the items are often no longer in 'time order' — by that I mean how long since the last post was made on a particular thread. They can jig about between several (different) hours to just minutes. Sorry about this — it might just be me.

– Dave_K

This happens here too, it happens when you reach Page 2 of the latest topics. Me thinks it may be similar to the "your topics" issue, and that it will sort itself out in time.

Bax, I wanted to mention that the color from white to black changes every once in a while. It's not a big deal, just wanted you to be aware of it incase it has to do with any other problems. Thanks

Also Bax, occasionally, I still get those 'topic management' icons when I refresh the forum pages.

A head's up for Firefox users, new version 10 out, it resolved a lot of issues I was having with pictures.

Here too. wether it's in 'latest topics' or in the forum overview the chronology is all over the place.

There are several dud topics too where you can't post.

some of the Avatars are working and some are not..depends on the thread your on.

I don't know what you mean by "are working"

Just wanted to let you know Bax, I just got a new 1920X1080 21.5" monitor and the GDP looks great on it.

Just a minor point: the "Gretsch-A-Sketch" seems to be having problems determining the cursor position. (Firefox 11.0 WinXP) Also: when using the Pag up/Page down keys, the page scrolls a bit too much and I have to scroll up/down a bit or I can't read every line of text. That's most likely caused by the way the fixed header is implemented. Rather annoying for people who use these keys.

Register Sign in to join the conversation