About the Gretsch Pages

Positioning Photos on Posts

This is a question, NOT a complaint. The issue may very well by "operator error" by me...

Is there a way to position photos on posts so that the photo is positioned AFTER preceding text rather than along the right hand side, next to the text?

IMO, it would make for easier/better reading to show text, followed by photo -- especially for posts that include more than one photo. It would (IMO) make for a more logical presentation in most cases. I think it also would make reading the text easier and faster.

In a recent thread which included a couple of classic photos of a Guitar God (hint: last name = Eddy) it appeared that the writer's (same hint as before) intent was to display the message followed by a photo, then more text followed by another photo. The displayed post had both photos desplayed at the top -- the second below the first -- with all of the text squeezed into the left half of the screen. I think the "natural instincet" in that view is for the reader to look at both photos first and then read the text. This can result in going back to re-reading text to figure out which text belongs with each photo.

You used to be able to format your post that way before the format change. Now I believe that if you want the text to accompany the photo, you have to post individual posts.

I also liked the ability to place a caption immediately below a photograph. However, I assume that such whistles and bells are what made the old site so complex that it frequently imploded on itself and caused all of the down time.

Bax has streamlined the site now to such an extent that those days of the 404 messages and the like seem so long ago in the distant past. So, it's a tradeoff, I imagine.

You used to be able to format your post that way before the format change. Now I believe that if you want the text to accompany the photo, you have to post individual posts.

– Hermitt

– Hermitt

Yes, it worked with the "old" format.

The last post I did had text followed by one photo (I placed the photo link two spaces below the text) and it posted with the photo on the right, text on the left. (Post 66, "Standel 25L15" thread, "Other Amps")

I also liked the ability to place a caption immediately below a photograph. However, I assume that such whistles and bells are what made the old site so complex that it frequently imploded on itself and caused all of the down time.

Bax has streamlined the site now to such an extent that those days of the 404 messages and the like seem so long ago in the distant past. So, it's a tradeoff, I imagine.

– Ric12string

– Ric12string

I had not thought of that, Bob. Clearly the NEW is much better than the OLD, in soooooo many ways!!

The NEW (format) even resulted in me getting a new sleek and snazzy desktop!! But that's another/old thread from a year ago... At the time, my wife commented that Baxter's fine work on improving the GDP had a positive impact on my quality of life!

I always wonder why my photos get squished.

Like this: Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean

Register Sign in to join the conversation