About the Gretsch Pages

Please Create a Good Grooming Section

8 years and only 2 pages...I guess we know what is and isn’t important here at the GDP.

What? You are only going to kibbitz about the seeming lack of participation here rather than to respond to my query?

Where is Shuie when I need him? C'mon Ade, lend a hand here, mate.

I think you meant kvetch, Ric12.

That one applies as well, Deed.

So, as a lady of refinement, certainly you must know something about fine leather gloves? If so, do tell.

Bob, once, many years ago this was about one thousand posts long. Even Chonny was the perfect gent in here. Heady days, my friend.

Ric, you cannot go wrong with peccary gloves whilst in the brisk winter of the California mountains. Soft, durable. You only need buy once. Accent the look with a Klondike hat, plaid workshirt and sturdy boots. Perfect.

I like a pair of Boston Stranglers. Classic, yet somehow quite ludicrous.

A great thread. May it rise again to its former glory.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I could use tips on keeping a sport coat or suit looking good when you're only traveling with a carry-on (or worse, just a pack). I saw Bonedaddy mentioned steaming above, but any other tips are welcomed, too.

How to wear “greasy kid stuff” was one of the early lessons my father taught me. I’m still using the old school brand he used/uses

Roll it up in a towel Baxter. Perfect condition, crease-free, every time.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I could use tips on keeping a sport coat or suit looking good when you're only traveling with a carry-on (or worse, just a pack). I saw Bonedaddy mentioned steaming above, but any other tips are welcomed, too.

– Baxter

25 years of traveling for work, and I agree with BD's tip. Always works.

Don't get me started on back packs. They are for kids going to school, or the new generation of young guns who want to screw up their posture even when they're not "wearing" one. Lol

Don't get me started on back packs. They are for kids going to school, or the new generation of young guns who want to screw up their posture even when they're not "wearing" one. Lol -- J(ust An Old Cowboy)D

The key with backpacks is to find one that is designed to load the weight on to your hips rather than having that weight hanging from your shoulders. They are hard to find for the smaller backpacks, but they do exist.

Peccary gloves, lined with cashmere, are absolutely gorgeous. They are not for wet weather, as water will cause the leather to harden. But as an accessory worn on those important court dates, most definitely. For dealing with the Truckee winter, not so much.

I miss the Golden Era of the Good Grooming Section. Baxter's right, let's keep it going.

I've always believed that if you're going to step out there, you've really got to try to look the part. There are many shades of 'looking the part', depending on the context, but don't miss the opportunity. Present a good version of yourself, do it the best you can.

I use shoe protector on leather gloves, either spray bottle or aerosol, the kind you'd use on yer Blue Suede Shoes. Keeps the rain out surprisingly well and absolutely retains suppleness over time.

Had that black leather hit man pair on for eleven winters and counting.

Cherry Blossom is not a viable option...

Peccary gloves, lined with cashmere, are absolutely gorgeous. They are not for wet weather, as water will cause the leather to harden. But as an accessory worn on those important court dates, most definitely. For dealing with the Truckee winter, not so much.

– Deed Eddy

Nice Seiko SKX007 Automatic, too.

Don't get me started on back packs. They are for kids going to school, or the new generation of young guns who want to screw up their posture even when they're not "wearing" one. Lol

I’m gonna have to disagree with you JD. You’re right, a junk pack is beyond useless. But a good travel pack is fantastic for short 2-3 day trips. I really hate lugging a suitcase around in a strange city. At best it’s clunky and awkward. At worst it’s not safe. A good travel pack keeps you much more mobile, and you can find anything you need instantly.

They are hell on a sport coat though, whether it’s in the pack or on you.

I’m gonna have to disagree with you JD. You’re right, a junk pack is beyond useless. But a good travel pack is fantastic for short 2-3 day trips. I really hate lugging a suitcase around in a strange city. At best it’s clunky and awkward. At worst it’s not safe. A good travel pack keeps you much more mobile, and you can find anything you need instantly.

They are hell on a sport coat though, whether it’s in the pack or on you.

– Baxter

Yes, I've been using a backpack for short trips lately.

The key is to get one with 3 to 4 parallel sections to keep clothes flat versus pooling at the bottom. Also, many separate pockets for the other stuff so it's easy to organize. My latest backpack is the most perfect I have had and it's from one of those promotional logo products companies. Tried to get a generic version for my son, but only came close.

Yes, that's one important thing. Some other things that are important in a backpack (to me at least):

• TSA-friendly. I don't want to fumble with that laptop if I can help it.
  • Separate compartment for clothes. If I DO have to open the backpack, no one needs to see my underroos.
  • Contrasting, lighter color inside. Because everything gets lost inside a dark-colored backpack.
  • Carries its weight well. Packing for 3 days can get heavy, especially when there's a laptop, notebooks and who-knows-what else to cram in there. I can't show up with an aching back.
  • It's gotta look reasonably sharp. No neon color silly strap cartoon nonsense.
  • it's gotta be flexible. In my opinion, you don't want too many pockets, because then you're fumbling around trying to figure out what pocket you put things in. Instead, have some well-designed pockets and a system of smaller containers inside to group items... here's the cord carrier, here's first-aid, here's toiletries, here's snacks, etc.

After thinking about this an awful lot and doing a lot of research, I landed on the ebags pro weekender: https://www.ebags.com/produ... which I like very much (and you can actually pick up for about 75 bucks if your timing is good)

I use shoe protector on leather gloves, either spray bottle or aerosol, the kind you'd use on yer Blue Suede Shoes. Keeps the rain out surprisingly well and absolutely retains suppleness over time.

Had that black leather hit man pair on for eleven winters and counting.

Cherry Blossom is not a viable option...

– ade

I'm still using some of the black leather gloves that I got in the Air Force 50 years ago. Not what you'd call stylish, but they're really warm and wear like a pig's nose.

As to backpacks---

After school and the military , I try to avoid backpacks, tho they're a necessary evil at times. They're still better than messenger/musette bags with only one strap. A backpack must be used with both straps or you're looking for back issues.

Old school Jansport Supersack. Made in the USA, three big compartments and lots of leather. Still have the first one I bought back in 1980.

– Deed Eddy

Ya see, Deed, I knew it would be you all along who would be the one with the right advice for me. And, you are correct, I would not wear these gloves while shoveling snow. They are simply dress gloves to be worn for their warmth on cold winter days and nights.

These are the ones that I had in mind, but I like the color of those in your photo better, me thinks.

And thanks to you as well, Ade, for your seal of approval. I love the idea of the Klondike hat, but not sure that I could pull that one off!

Got me to thinking about when I used to wear my hair in a style other than what you might call a “Butch” like I do now. I used this stuff for years, and from what I understand, it’s still widely available.

Register Sign in to join the conversation