About the Gretsch Pages

Please Create a Good Grooming Section

I found the lounge.

I need help with silk ties. How do you iron an expensive silk tie without damaging it?

Recently I bought a couple suits that I had only ever dreamed of owning. I went to Brooks Brothers and and was not disappointed.

Anyway, I let one of my ties get wrinkled and I want it perfect for Monday. I have a court date that may end up being very good. It's about my daughter Olivia.

I looked on the inter web and found a few good suggestions but I want your opinion.

And yes, the suits were worth the money. I have never worn a suit that felt so comfortable.

Huh!

Why didn't someone tell me part of this was back?

Never iron a necktie. If you do, the rounded edges will suddenly have a crease at the edges. Check with your dry cleaner to see if they can press the tie without creasing the edges.

Funny, I used to own a dry cleaners. I know that there is an art to pressing silk that I never learned. I should have paid more attention.

I'm told that if you put a pure cotton sheet over the silk and use a low steam setting on the iron all will be fine. I'm a bit skeptical.

Huh!

Why didn't someone tell me part of this was back?

– Proteus

I did a lengthy google search to find it.

I very much enjoy this topic.

Steaming over the tea kettle works well, and the hair dryer can work wonders. Roll the tie loosely. Silk is so fragile, it is easy to catch the delicate fibers on anything rough.

P.S. Grump...we're gonna want pictures of you in the BB suit. And highest hopes for your day in court. xx

Never iron a necktie. If you do, the rounded edges will suddenly have a crease at the edges. Check with your dry cleaner to see if they can press the tie without creasing the edges.

– Ric12string

problem solved

I was walking through Walgreens a while back and while on my way to the cold remedy aisle, I glanced at a shelf and there, in a surreal glow, it sat. It was like I had been transported back to 1969...

Same (mostly) blue and white box. Same smell, although evidently being produced by Suave.

All is right in my toiletry cabinet, after all these years.

Unclegrumpy, you can use the iron with steam. Put a dry cloth (cotton sheet or towel, thick as you like, all good) in between the iron and the silk. Keep checking as you go, soon as the creases wilt, stop. It'll come out flat and lovely and not pick up a scald shine.

This is how I press my own silk ties and suits.

There's a time and a place for looking real crisp and right and I sincerely hope we can help just a little. Good luck for Monday.

Can I suggest a pocket square to finish the look? Such a little detail, but such a difference.

http://www.realmenrealstyle...

Fold #1 is all you need. None of that origami nonsense, too dandy for a serious matter.

My wife takes long, hot showers so I hung the ties in the bathroom and they steamed nicely.

My wife takes long, hot showers so I hung the ties in the bathroom and they steamed nicely.

– UncleGrumpy

There you go. I travel a lot for business and I always hang my suits/sports coats in the bathroom of the hotel with the shower running to steam the wrinkles out. Works like a champ.

If I got a woman in the shower, my clothing is the last thing on my mind.

I wasn't gonna toss my tie on the floor.

I see Harry's razors are now available at Target, but they don't seem to be of the same quality as when they were mail-order only. Anyone else notice this?

In theater, costumers couldn't get by without a steamer. Perfect for getting the wrinkles out.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on faces.

Best shoes ever.

Back in 1987 I went down to Parris Island, SC. to visit my Uncle Sam. He gave me the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn. I had the heels replaced a couple of times and I have to polish them every time I wear them but I love them. Timeless classics.

Nice pair of kickers, hard to tell by the pictures but are they a cap toe oxford ? I don't have my camera on hand, these are my new shoes I bought for my tux for my daughters wedding. http://www.paulfredrick.com... They go fantastic as a little bend away from pure black tie protocol but thet also look great under a pair of jeans, and this is the other ox I bought for the half a month I'll be in london http://www.jcpenney.com/flo... Nothing like cool shoes. I have not worn them out yet but the sign of a good shoe is how the feel is when you first try them on, both of these shoes will be in the stable for a long time.

Me half dressed. My wife shot this as was kinda just checking out the new shirt. Heck it has french cuffs and was advertized as a tux blouse but is not able to except shirt studs. If my tailor can't can't give me the button holes I need for studs then I'll have to buy another blouse.

No right profile, Chrisbo?

Looks like it had been a fun evening!

Fun evening yes, but I was just trying on the blouse. Yes!!! I do tie my own bow ties.

My tux has a bit of a mundane notched lapel and in the rest of my life if given the need I'll go peaked or shawl . Wish I had gone peaked first time around.

Hey Grumpy. Please give os the low down on how I can do my ties at home.

Heck. I do not believe I have ever posted here before and now you have me six times in a row. Question. Dose anybody know any thing about button covers for existing buttons, instead of taking the buttons off of a relatively costly blouse I would have no problem with clip on covers for where the studs normally go. I have been all over the net and can't find anything except for button covers for cuffs and none for studs. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Register Sign in to join the conversation