About the Gretsch Pages

On pumpkins and politics: Changing up what’s allowed on the site

I think it's a good idea Bax. I agree with your first post.

Oh yeah, and one other thing; other than, presumably, a great pumpkin, I don't know what the Great Pumpkin is.

Can someone fill me in?

Oh yeah, and one other thing; other than, presumably, a great pumpkin, I don't know what the Great Pumpkin is.

Can someone fill me in?

– Deke Martin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wi...

The quote in the first post comes from a Peanuts halloween special that airs here in the states every year.

Tim/Bax .......... In a word -- Bravo!

'Nuff said.

For the record, I have had my mind changed several times for several different reasons,due to this site.I love this place.

No political or religious threads on the GDP? Fine with me. Generally speaking, folks adopt whatever opinions conform to or support their world views, regardless of education levels. The last US election confirmed that. Religion....I recall a quote that I heard recently; "Enough with the talking sticks and flying horses."

There probably are forums, not necessarily on line, where it is possible for rational discussions on these topics to occur, but the GDP has shown that it is not one of them. You have my support Baxter.

Well....if we can't even talk about The Great Pumpkin...then, things really have gotten bad!

While I agree with the concept of free speech I also totally agree that this is YOUR FORUM and if you want a no Politics, no Religion, no Great Pumpkin rule and you want to enforce it, that is totally cool by me.

What is really disconcerting to me is that for some reason the "winky" emoji will not work for me....

Your house your rules and I won't raid the fridge, promise.

Baxter, I hope you well know how I love you for this place. And, I'm sure not a soul is in the dark about my views on lots of things, including George and our Beloved Gretsch Guitars. It is Because I love this place and you who play here in it that is feels like home--a place we can explode with joy or grieve with the companionship of our folks AND learn about guitars (but I still so miss the General's and Proteus's "theory" threads).

You all probably don't know I was the editor of our Law Review. In that role, I learned how hard is what Bax does, and how well he does it.

I certainly will do my best to play nice, and expect to be timed out if I don't. But, I totally second all of the points made by Proteus.

Oh, and I don't just love this place, Baxter, I love you a little bit, too.

Olivia Anne

Best nontechnical thread I've read on this site in years. Loooooong overdue, and thank you very much Baxter.

The GDP is a one of the very few Forums I log onto and theres a reason why. Besides the fact that I know a few of the people here personally, and I can check in on a few of them and see how their doing and also get some good information from them in the process,its a very hospitable and enjoyable Forum.

I consider myself a no-nonsense type of person so when I see a Thread eventually going south I just stop reading it.

I think Baxter has a difficult job running this Forum and from the looks of it Im sure it is very time consuming and at times a thankless job,So Im all for making things a little more simpler on him(and at times Us) so a reminder to mind our manners was way past due.

I was waiting for someone to ask who/what is the Great Pumpkin. Thanks Deke -- such things obviously never filtered through to our corner of Kent.

I've learned so much from these political discussions.

I've learned how to make a point more righteous BY USING UPPER CASE LETTERS!

I've learned there's only one way to win an argument. By flame wars with words and a burn and scortch policy on otherwise pleasant grounds.

I've learned some cooking tips as well...at least, to stir the pot.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go punch a nun.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go punch a nun.

That's a bad habit.

Maybe when someone says "no one's mind is ever changed," they're really telling us their minds are closed to change.

I'm just speculating.

All will be well w/o politics to discuss. It's a guitar forum, and there will be only a very few that are disappointed that they can't interject their political beliefs full time.

Most are here to relax and discuss "all things Gretsch"....................no one in their right mind ever gets into a political discussion, and walks away relaxed. LOL

I guess I’m more concerned about the ban on The Great Pumpkin...

I've been around this forum for a while and, by my own choice, try to steer clear of anything that isn't music related. I am always mindful that my posts here are much like being a guest at a party at a friends house - in this case Baxter's house. And on that note I say cheers, happy holidays, and may Santa bring you a pumpkin colored Gretsch this year!

Damn, I somehow missed this thread before.

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Society has rules to keep us civil, why not an internet forum?

Want to talk politics? Go to Facebook. Want to talk religion? Go to church.

Altho I really see no need to ban the Great Pumpkin....

well, i'm kinda of two minds about this. on the one hand, one of the reasons i prefer GDP to GT is that the GDP doesn't have the kind of heavy-handed moderation that i saw on GT during my brief life of posting there, not that i think you'd be like that, Bax.

on the other hand, the politics-related threads and side-conversations seem to always turn horrible in just a few posts. i tend to avoid them for this reason, and because i don't like to get all wacked out by participating in that kind of argument-ad-assholium...even on Reddit i tend to stay away from that kind of stuff because it's just not productive. i don't need to spend my time doing things that just leave me pissed off, and with the extremity of modern political views it seems like respect on both sides is over.

in any case, as others have said above, it's your house and you can do what you wish. i personally wouldn't mind not seeing political discussions here because i don't like ugliness interfering with my ability to like folks who are otherwise generally likeable.

I start off reading most threads but tend to drift away from political ones. I’m a believer in free discussions but think that Bax has had the patience of a saint at times. It’s interesting to have various threads beyond guitars in which one can participate or not, but bottom line is that this is his site and if he is frustrated about things, we should respect his position.

I agree with you Bax, on the 3 topics not to be started, let alone continued or expanded upon......with hopefully one minor exception. I hope you'll allow us Canucks to continue to post on hockey threads. I mention this due to the fact hockey is a religion in Canada. We promise to continue to play nice.

Back to your trigger finger application. Seriously, there have been some threads started that don't fall under the 3 categories of now banned subjects but have created equal angst that if a similar post appears, I sincerely hope you'll deep-six quickly when it's clear they're meant to be inflammatory. I use the thread claiming Winston Churchill was an American as an example. Clearly trolling.

Maybe when someone says "no one's mind is ever changed," they're really telling us their minds are closed to change.

I'm just speculating.

– Proteus

I posted something saying that people don't change their minds on their core beliefs based on what someone else posts on an internet forum, so I'm speculating that you are referring to my post (and me). Do I really need an interpreter to tell everyone what I am actually saying? Would it be fair for me to start interpreting for you?

There is no malice in this response. I'm just a bit surprised at being disparaged for a comment that I believe to be true. I would have little respect for someone who radically changed a core belief based on an internet post. I have yet to see someone at the end of a debate say to their opponent, "You know, you're absolutely right."

My original statement - "The bottom line is - no one is going to change the minds of anyone else on these non-music related threads. The only thing that might happen is further polarization and animosity."

You've stated an often-repeated internet truism; others (at other times, and in this thread) have said the same thing. I'm not specifically addressing you individually, but that perception.

There's certainly no malice in my response, either, but I still reject the notion that minds are never changed in online forums - for the reasons and under the conditions I tried to make clear in my first, longer response.

I would have little respect for someone who radically changed a core belief based on an internet post.

And yet, people's minds and positions do change over time - in response to every stimulus in their environments (I would hope). Why would discourse on the internet be any less a factor in peoples' ongoing self-education than their conversations with people "in real life," or their reading, or their consumption of media? They're all forms of communication. Isn't communication a crucial tool humans use to both understand and shape their environment? It's one form of experience, and surely experience teaches us.

I have yet to see someone at the end of a debate say to their opponent, "You know, you're absolutely right."

I said exactly that in my first response. I don't expect anyone to say that. But I know peoples' minds do change, sometimes gradually over time - but other times fairly quickly. To think that internet postings can have no influence on peoples' thinking is either to set online experience aside completely from the rest of life, or to despair of all human interaction.

I think it's a very good idea! The love of guitars can be a meeting point of people from various walks of life and ideologies. Politics religion etc shouldn't enter into it, nor are they necessary. That's standard stuff to avoid in any social gathering if you want to keep it pleasant. What about squashes?? are they out of the picture too? And are conventional pumpkins okay??

Register Sign in to join the conversation