About the Gretsch Pages

Member questions…

I read more than I post. I’ve loved this place for about 12 years now. I wonder sometimes what happened to some folks. I don’t see Mainsoda, Wenzel (I know he is here and there), I forget the username but there was a police officer who was the biggest Springsteen fan I’ve ever heard of. Unfortunately, I know we’ve had several pass on. I miss many of them. Maybe the others just have a different username and I didn’t keep up. Any help?

Wenzel is out of country, more involved in photography than guitars, I believe.

I see him on facebook, and he pops in here every once in a blue moon.

I miss the dudes that lived in China and one in particular, who would post tunes that were really cool.

I think the former policeman/Springsteen fan had enough of the arguing that goes on here.

Who was the French guy that won everything, or so seemed to?

Edit: I ever tell anyone my memory is shot? For sure, he’s not French. Sorry Geoff. This deserves to be shared with the world!

Members do come and go. Evidently I missed a forum suicide recently. Some people just have less time to play on forums and we just see them occasionally. Elliot Easton is one of those. He isn't gone but rarely posts.

"Nobody" rarely posts, but he's still here, I think for some reason we lost Munman recently, too.

Who was the French guy that won everything, or so seemed to?

Edit: I ever tell anyone my memory is shot? For sure, he’s not French. Sorry Geoff. This deserves to be shared with the world!

– Threadkiller

Geoff Vane Ha!

I know... ...he's not french.

I think the former policeman/Springsteen fan had enough of the arguing that goes on here.

MrTrouble. Sean Cohan, as I recall. I met him at NAMM when the Eddie Cochran model came out; he was also a major Cochran fan. Really nice guy in person.

I can't imagine he'd had enough of the arguing per se - he was pretty good at it himself - but he was also staunchly, uprightly, and proudly a liberal Democrat. He may well have had the perception that the GDP had turned rabidly ...well, not liberal (or even tolerant) ... during the last election cycle. He may simply no longer have felt at home here, or as though his political advocacy could possibly make any converts or even divert the tide.

It’s amazing if you try to develop a list of formerly active members. Maybe some of them prefer to just lurk. If so, responding here with a simple “Hello” would be appreciated just to get an idea of who is still around. I read and sometimes comment but rarely start threads. Just my nature. Maybe more fall into this category.

I also remember Pappy signing off for some reason I forget. Haven’t seen UncleGrumpy in a bit either. I can’t even find Dangerousman in the member log. Mitch (Beatles6120) still ok? He has been battling I remember.

Unfortunately for all of you, like a bad penny, I keep turning up in your pocket change time and again. Sometimes, I'm posting actively, sometimes just goofy quip responses, and sometimes just doing guitar database management.

The fact that I have been actively gigging in 2 bands for over 20 years, on top of my normal day job, means that like many others, I just don't have the time to check the GDP 3-4 times a day. But I try to drop in and catch up every other day or so.

And although there has been some occasional non-guitar discussion over the years that I have taken personal issue with, I have never let it dissuade me from being a member here-- life's too short to let differences of opinion cloud my general outlook on life.

After all, the GDP is a family to me... And what's a family without the occasional squabble? I respect the decisions of those who have chosen to leave voluntarily over the years, but in 99% of the cases, I'd gladly welcome them back with open arms.

Yes, interesting how people come, disappear, reappear, or just sink into the lurk. I was one of those, as well. Life redirects us in different ways. Here some posters that I enjoyed and haven't seen in many a moon: Blaydrnnnr, Bonedaddy, Danman, Hermitt, jetbunny, Jukka, MacStevenXIII, Marctrain57, Tsar Nicholas, piratesrule, roadjunkie, Shuggie, superaxe63, Spartanman, tommy59, will...scrolling thru the members list I noticed a lack of the triggering member "Sancuary" known also in other apparitions. The Chonney's and Spirit Walker's and other trolls of that sort do take away from the joys of forums.

I’m glad you and many others are still around! I’ve looked into other forums and this one is the coolest and most well organized. I just wonder where live missed people sometimes.

Am I wrong that Shuggie passed? Edit: Glad to be wrong!!!

I’m home sick with strep or I’d not have this much time myself.

No, Shuggie is still very much with us. He's posted recently. In real life he's Huw Price, and he's a writer for the UK mag/blog Guitar.

• Blaydrnnnr - don't know.
• Bonedaddy - busy with life, pops in down and again.
• Pappy - living in Hawaii, still in service, busy with life and family; does a motorcyling-in-Hawaii blog and was here a few months back promoting it.
• Danman - I see him here from time to time.
• Hermitt - yes, long time no see.
• jetbunny has been around, but surely not often.
• Jukka - also long time no see.
• MacStevenXIII has moved in real life, I think, maybe not doing his rockabilly band now but starting something up; I seem to think I remember he was getting a cool new job recently.
• Marctrain57 - not for awhile, no.
• Tsar Nicholas - I take it he went through a heavy guitar phase in his teens and early 20s, and is now living the adult life. I think his brother has a band which has toured the US, and Nick has kept us up to date on it.
• piratesrule - this hilarious maniac has been seen recently. Surely not as often as in ages past, though, more's the pity. He thrives on wacky - but intelligent, clever, and interactive -threads like the Good Grooming Lounge. He, Shuie, Geoff Vane, and a few others make a potent improv comedy crew. We need more of that - but it can't be forced. The ingredients just have to be brought into proximity.
• roadjunkie - I wonder where Gary has been. He stopped driving OTR, then he was back at it and was posting occasionally. Had health issues, but came back after that. Haven't seen him recently.
• superaxe63, Spartanman - dunno.
• tommy59 - it's been quite awhile, and that's a shame. I know he might feel he burned some bridges here through injudicious posts while not in the best frames of mind. But that's certainly not the case. He's a good guy and a great player, and I miss hearing from him.

I admit I fell off for awhile. My band went acoustic on me, and my daughter is older and more active, and I went back to work. Admittedly, the politics a few years back after the great crash, kind of bummed me out. Then I came down with GAS again, and I’m back.

I gotta say that I miss Rob Williams from OZ

The more I looked around, the more my curiosity grew. Thanks for the input so far. I thought Mainsoda’s adventures in scalloped fretboards were interesting back when. The more I looked, the more I questioned.

Tommy59 absence round these parts is the reason I joined facebook.

I don't post much unless I can add something of meaning. I do still check in most days now. I did have a period that I didn't check in but like others life gets in the way. I haven't played in a band in 6 years and under went open heart surgery a couple years ago. I am feeling better now days and play some guitar almost every day now. I would like to get back out playing but not many bands want a 68 year old player. I do think this is a great forum. Jim

Not a question, but one of my unexpected moment in GDP is - when I asked where I could buy the Fontanas album, because I couldn't buy it here in Europe. This gentleman kindly send me a copy. This gentleman was Keith Scott. So the record I still have is signed. Really nice memory from this forum.

Just came to my mind about the subject called "member"...

I miss the dudes that lived in China and one in particular, who would post tunes that were really cool. -- Crowbone

That was our friend AJ. His songs were very unique and entertaining, I thought. I was just thinking about him recently and may have even discussed his absence with Proteus in a recent conversation.

Here some posters that I enjoyed and haven't seen in many a moon: Blaydrnnnr, Bonedaddy, Danman, Hermitt, jetbunny, Jukka, MacStevenXIII, Marctrain57, Tsar Nicholas, piratesrule, roadjunkie, Shuggie, superaxe63, Spartanman, tommy59, will... -- BigJimSlade

I hear from Bonedaddy fairly often. We have been friends off the GDP for quite a few years now when he used to live in San Jose. I just got a message from him a few days ago sending his regrets that he was unable to attend the NAMM Show, where he would frequently join me. Bonedaddy is simply overwhelmed with his work. He recently began working with a new company and he is putting out fires quite often.

Danman still posts on here, but I also connect with him often on Facebook. I don't believe that there is any issue for Danman about participating on the GDP.

Marctrain still posts here occasionally. I haven't seen Hermitt in a long time. I see Roadjunkie posting occasionally on FB. Tommy59 moved to the Phoenix area a few years ago and hasn't been posting as much on here since then. I do see him quite often, however, on FB. He still gigs quite often and records with Jon Rauhouse.

So many cool people come and go. I too am missing may of those folks.

I sure miss Hyde Baker,damn he sure built some beautiful guitars!!

Another member who has been largely MIA is BossTweed. However, I know him offline so I am able to keep in touch with him. I will give you a bit of an update on him when I provide some coverage regarding Santa Cruz Guitars in my NAMM thread.

It’s been a bit since I can find any posts from Paul (FrequentFlyer909). Any news of him? I used to dig the pics of his dog. He was always nice to see contributions from.

Register Sign in to join the conversation