About the Gretsch Pages

IMPORTANT - webmaster action needed

My IT guy sent me an email at work today:

"Have you been to gretschpages[.]com? If not, please let me know. Your macbook is hitting some weird traffic."

I noticed that every time I visit, a small file is placed in my downloads folder.

It seems we may have some issues.

I haven't noticed this. No issues on my end. Wondering if this issue could be Apple-specific, or even browser-specific. I usually access via PC with Firefox, but I occasionally use my iPad and Chrome... no issues there either.

Does this file have a name?

Doug and Baxter-- have we had any URL hijack attempts or DNS attack attempts recently?

Josh, what browser are you using? Safari? Chrome? Firefox? Other?

Checked on my Win10 machine with both Chrome and Opera browsers.... Nothing seems amiss, but these little buggers can sometime hide.

OP- Do you have the name of the file?

I keep getting notices that the site is not secure.

My computer thankfully stops the file from completely downloading, so I don’t know what the actual name of it is.

I get a message in a white rectangle box asking if I want to download a file. I’ll take a picture next time it pops up.

I keep getting notices that the site is not secure.

– wabash slim

That's primarily because we're still operating as "http" as opposed to "https".

I get a message in a white rectangle box asking if I want to download a file. I’ll take a picture next time it pops up.

– Curt Wilson

Same deal on my computers. For some reason, the site is now trying to push a mysterious download on us. Who knows what the hell that is.

Safe or not to be here? Do admins read this or not?

An admin has already chipped in, they’re aware.

Same deal on my computers. For some reason, the site is now trying to push a mysterious download on us. Who knows what the hell that is.

– JBGretschGuy

What page are you trying to access when this occurs, and what browser are you using, Josh?

Here's the message that appeared when looking at the Nashville pics.

Here's the message that appeared when looking at the Nashville pics.

– Curt Wilson

Ok-- that's a Safari browser default setting, not an actual download request. The GDP website isn't trying to actually send you anything. If you click "Allow" nothing will happen and nothing will download...it will simply make the default prompt go away for your visits to the website. If you were to actually download from the site, a different prompt would appear

In the latest Safari updates, this popup will trigger on many sites using any form of Google analytics which are not on an HTTPS config. It's been off and on for about a year now, and is apparently triggered by a Google script. It's your device, and your call on what to do, but it's NOT GDP asking for a download request script.

Here's more info, (and there's lot more out there on this subject):

PSA: Websites asking you to allow downloads?

I just searched every last one of Curt's download files- nowt.

No warnings, no legit options, no nothing.

And I can't find anything on a malware list, nor the virus list from MacAfee..

In itself, it may mean nothing, but it is strange that they simply don't show anywhere.

I picked apart the files, and they appear to be from YouTube and not the GDP itself. For some reason, instead of allowing me to see an embedded video on this website, I just get one of these stupid little file downloads. It’s probably a disagreement between my Safari browser and the GDP board code?

When I get some time, I will try it in Chrome

I picked apart the files, and they appear to be from YouTube and not the GDP itself. For some reason, instead of allowing me to see an embedded video on this website, I just get one of these stupid little file downloads. It’s probably a disagreement between my Safari browser and the GDP board code?

When I get some time, I will try it in Chrome

– JBGretschGuy

Sounds like a Safari-specific setting, not the board.

The only Apple device I have is an iPad Air 2 Pro... but using the iPad Safari browser, I can access the site and play embedded videos directly on the site without the issue that seem to be having. I am currently running iPad OS 14.8, and of course, my Safari browser is a built into that IOS package.

While I am not sure of the device you are using, I realize that not all versions of Safari are the same, so what might seem to work for me on an iPad may not work for you on the iPhone or MacBook version of Safari.

I wish Baxter would chime in, he knows way more about Apple ins and outs than I do.

I just attempted to link a YouTube vid as I've done several times in the past and nothing.

Safari Version 15.0 (15612.1.29.41.4, 15612)

I just attempted to link a YouTube vid as I've done several times in the past and nothing.

Safari Version 15.0 (15612.1.29.41.4, 15612)

– Curt Wilson

This is a Safari 15 problem... there are known issues with the release, including multiple Youtube incompatibility issues. I would assume that the Youtube issues might possibly extend to any page that may have a java-scripted Youtube video embedded into the page.

These are only a couple of stories, but I just did a search and there are a bunch of unhappy Apple users out there complaining about it. Apparently the current advice is DON'T update Safari to version 15 if you haven't already done so as it appears to be super-buggy.

Mac users report serious problems with Safari 15

Safari 15 Issues: YouTube Bookmarks Crash Browser, Some Websites Fail to Load on macOS Catalina

I know this doesn't really help you Curt, but I'm putting the alert out there for other Apple users. Not trying to deflect the issue, but again, it appears to be browser-related, not site-specific.

firefox on my mac is bueno, fwiw.

– TheNocturneBrain

Thanks for letting me know. Firefox on my PC, as well as Chrome & Firefox on my iPad are fine too.

Firefox and Chrome are both fine on my Win10 laptop....

Man I wish I had anything useful here. Josh my first thought was that your machine is compromised somehow. The Safari 15 theory definitely makes sense. There’s no changes on the site, and I haven’t found any signs of any intrusion. I just don’t know what to think.

Man I wish I had anything useful here. Josh my first thought was that your machine is compromised somehow. The Safari 15 theory definitely makes sense. There’s no changes on the site, and I haven’t found any signs of any intrusion. I just don’t know what to think.

– Baxter

Thanks for weighing in on this, Bax.

Register Sign in to join the conversation