About the Gretsch Pages

I can’t start a new thread…

... in Other Guitars. I get 500 Internal Server Error / nginx.

That's ok, I wouldn't trust me to start a thread either.

Actually the problem is that I can't attach a pic to any post.

I'd log out and back in to see if that makes a difference but I don't see anywhere to log out. That's convenient. WTF all over the place.

I have better things to do with my time. I should do them.

I had trouble with this today too. It works if you host the pic on imgur or something and then link it here.

NO! Different browser, fresh log-in, different picture. Still 500 Server Error nginx. So it's either this MacBook, my internet connection, or the GDP.

Whatever. Not my circus. I've used up all my tolerance for stuff that doesn't work on accepting my own slacker nature - and more than my stolen "slack" time.

Too many hoops for me, Otter. It worked yesterday.

It's true the tiny-picture syndrome afflicting pics we upload to the GDP has frosted my cornflakes way too many times. There's nothing like having a gorgeous picture blown down to a postage stamp. If I did go back to uploading to my hosting and then linking, I think I remember I'd get some control over how big my sometimes painstakingly prepped photos show.

But again. Uploading to a hosting site and linking at least doubles the effort required to contribute content. If everything in life takes twice as long, we'll get half as much done before we shuffle off drooling and die. Even I can do that math.

And somehow it abrades my sense of data order to have SOME of my GDP content wholly hosted on the GDP, and SOME of it spread around in other places.

I'll just wait for this to be repaired. No one needs to see my guitars in the color threads anyway.

Probably all those new gallery threads just eat up Baxter‘s web space. They are quite massive. Simple as that?

Probably, actually. I'm probably out of space again and need to get in there and clean some things out.

As for the size of the images, that is fully dependent on the device you're currently on and its screen size. So you can't say "they're small". On other screens, they're quite large. Actually, they're only small if you're right on the cusp of the next bucket of screen sizes, at which point they become quite large again.

Regardless, right-clicking any of them lets you get at the original size, too.

Man, I'm on a 17" MacBook. "Postage stamp" was exaggerating for aggravated effect - but I'm uploading BIG files, and they're coming out like 3 or 4 inches wide.

Since Tim mentioned this once I use it whenever I want to see something in its original size. Works like a charm in the database, too. On Macbook and iMac. Personally, I really like the fact that the regular thread views do not load the full size pics.

Since Tim mentioned this once I use it whenever I want to see something in its original size. Works like a charm in the database, too. On Macbook and iMac. Personally, I really like the fact that the regular thread views do not load the full size pics.

– sascha

Yes, I do this too but I have to copy the image to a new window, go to the URL and take out everything after the jpg. Otherwise the size doesn't change for me.

I think I broke it when I posted my wedding picture last night.

so I guess I get to share the blame with Don...

Or maybe it's all those blondes and redheads we've been uploading??

Yes, I do this too but I have to copy the image to a new window, go to the URL and take out everything after the jpg. Otherwise the size doesn't change for me.

– Danman

Exactly.

Actually the problem is that I can't attach a pic to any post.

I'd log out and back in to see if that makes a difference but I don't see anywhere to log out. That's convenient. WTF all over the place.

I have better things to do with my time. I should do them.

– Proteus

I've been a member here for quite awhile, and I've never figured out how to log out yet...

Im having the same error problem in the ‘Blondes’ thread.

Im having the same error problem in the ‘Blondes’ thread.

– Nick45

Me too.

Man, I'm on a 17" MacBook. "Postage stamp" was exaggerating for aggravated effect - but I'm uploading BIG files, and they're coming out like 3 or 4 inches wide.

– Proteus

This is really hard to explain, but because of the way the pages lay out differently at different screen sizes, a 17" macbook doesn't necessarily mean larger images. It comes down to the browser resolution at different sizes, and you may actually find that making your browser window a bit smaller may trigger a different layout that works better for you. Or not. Hard to say, and to be honest, knowing the resolution of a 17" macbook, I'd tend to agree with you, the current sizes are a bit smallish, since I haven't really updated for today's mega-high-resolutions.

I wouldn't upload BIG files, though. I drop everything above 2000px or so, as it's too big for a screen anyway. So it's just more churn to resize them.

Um, i may have been a bit overzealous in removing the large images from the server and accidentally removed some of your pics. If so, I'm sorry 'bout that.

I’ve been going back and removing my pics to ease the burden.

While I appreciate that effort, I should let you know it doesn't really help. It removes them from the DB, but the files are still on the server unless I go in and clear stuff out. Kind of annoying and weird, isn't it?

I’ve been going back and removing my pics to ease the burden.

– Powdog

Powdog, I Hope you don’t want to remove all the great amp build pictures that you posted so far in your threads. That would be a shame.

I'm just happy that we can now move beyond that whole "Pics or it didn't happen!" thing.

Our long national (global) nightmare is over!

I’ve always been a big believer in impermanence. It’s just stuff.

But thanks for the kind words.

As an aside, it would be pretty easy to build filters for the guitars database to let you just view guitars by color, if you all would be interested in such a thing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation