Miscellaneous Rumbles

*UGHH* Facebook. Or ‘Dealing with Venues run by 12yrs olds’

Me having a bleat.

There's a venue we played at last year that paid us ok (not good, but not our worst) except there was a lot of travel (so at the end not much money). ...and management really didn't give a stuff - just get in there and play. But not too loud. You know the drill. Anyway they did give us some regular dates. They don't offer any gratuity or hospitality, and it usually takes 2 weeks and 3 phone calls to have our invoice paid.

Anyhoo, in December I started trying to get dates for 2015. 3 Months later after emails, calls, facebook messages I post on my bands facebook page to explain to our followers who go to this venue that we ARE trying to come back but 'getting run around' re dates (that's virtually what I said -no malice or nutin'). Well, today I get a most irate email from the booking person saying how I've hurt her feelings and damaged her credibility with other bands (WTF?) etc etc. I apologised for any offence and did my best to mend the bridge while get my point across that being 'on hold' for 3 months can get frustrating.

I don't think I did anything offensive or wrong but I've obviously upset her tiara. Not sure what to do now. I hate pandering to this type but I like regular gigs...but the place really does operate on a junior high school mentality.... what to do....?

Understand your frustration but:

I wouldn't post this on any forum. You might just want to delete this and move on.

If she were to read this post the results may not be favorable.

Vent where it's not in writing on the web.

In any case good luck.

Thanks for your advice Gasmoney. Don't be offended that I'm not taking it(in not deleting it as I stand by what I said- but I am moving on). Nothing I said on the original FB post was offensive so I don't know why she went off the way she did. Anyhoo, I'll leave her cool off and see what happens next. I'm not an @hole I just call it as I see it.

If she reads these posts off this forum then she has way more street cred than I gave her credit for

Just looking out of your best interest that's all.

It's a big world and things can come around and bite you sometimes.

Best of luck.

Thanks - I know where you're coming from and I appreciate it :)

I feel your pain. I use to play a place on a regular basis, went back to set up some dates. They said they were using this person to book now. We still have show posters up in the bar. The "booking" person never returned one of our messages. It seems to be an epidemic.....Good luck...

Careful what you wish for Rob, because a response is just what you got!

For the very easily offended, I could see "run-around" as offensive. But, working in the bar and late night entertainment field is definitely not for the easily offended.

Your mistake may have been to publicly announce that you have no news regarding a particular venue.

I've posted several times on the GDP my frustrations/anxiety regarding long dry spells with my booking contacts, it's certainly stressful.

You have no control whatsoever how someone feels about something. Neither can you change someone's mind so don't bother with all of that. You can conduct yourself in a reasonable manner and always try to put your best forward and should someone appreciate that or change their mind about something well that's just fine.

Do your best not to be manipulated and keep up the hard work. Facebook is a great communication tool for you to keep in touch with your fans and followers. That's the only people you need concern yourself about.

Understand your frustration but:

I wouldn't post this on any forum. You might just want to delete this and move on.

If she were to read this post the results may not be favorable.

Vent where it's not in writing on the web.

In any case good luck.

– Gasmoney

Don't I know it! Instead of booking agent replace it with Ex-wife

The "hurt feelings/damaged credibility" is just her trying to blame you for her scr#wing YOUR customers by hanging you out to dry about whether they wanted to book you back or not.Since all the whining,as I understand it,was in a private e-mail from her not available to the public,it's certainly appropriate not to flame the woman on your FB page any more,but I wouldn't be optimistic about working there any more,either.If you maintain a customer e-mail list, it might be good to let the fans in that area know you're not booked there,but if dates happen you'll let them know soonest.

Got a Q for you Rob- This venue requires you to invoice them and a couple of weeks later they send you your money,right? Is that standard practice everywhere you work? I've wondered sometimes about that sort of gig detail in the other English-speaking countries.

A clear example Rob, of a woman who far too easily "gets her knickers in a twist." I go along with the advice to not 'out' her on Facebook and also not to try dealing with her anymore....let her deal with you, if she wants to. Here's a statement that while she may not like it, it covers the situation she's created and lets your fans know what's really happening. A statement such as, "unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond our control, we will no longer be playing at........" This may spark a few people to ask that place why you aren't booked there anymore. She can lie if she wants but your statement is pretty clear you would like to play there but can't for reasons arising from the management.

I've often been tempted to vent in regards to someone who's giving me the run around, not taking my calls, not returning my calls and not responding to my emails. (And have given into temptation a couple of times after deciding I have nothing to lose.) What is more satisfying though is to work like hell for more bookings elsewhere and when the "super busy" marketing wiz does finally get in touch to book me, being able to say, "I'm sorry, I already have a booking for that date."

I've often been tempted to vent in regards to someone who's giving me the run around, not taking my calls, not returning my calls and not responding to my emails. (And have given into temptation a couple of times after deciding I have nothing to lose.) What is more satisfying though is to work like hell for more bookings elsewhere and when the "super busy" marketing wiz does finally get in touch to book me, being able to say, "I'm sorry, I already have a booking for that date."

– Rockabillybob

Concur.

Could your fans be pestering her, asking uncomfortable questions? You've got to ask yourself---is this really worth it?

I checked with some people who saw the post before I removed it and they were shocked that it got such a response - they certainly didn't see anything offensive in it - so that's good :) The remainder of the contact was through private email and it's NOT the kind of thing that I WOULD put on FB - Especially the band page.

So yes - I'm just leaving the ball in her court and we're moving on to other things :) Thanks all for your thoughts. Web or not - this is my favourite place to vent :)

Around 600 B.C., the Greek poet, Sapho, first recorded the metaphor about the dog and its master:

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Maybe some of your bands fans would be willing to call the venue and ask them " We really enjoyed that band and come see them whenever they are playing, but we haven't seen them on your venue calendar. When are they coming back so that we can frequent your establishment? " Visions of potential $$ can grease the wheels of commerce.

Around 600 B.C., the Greek poet, Sapho, first recorded the metaphor about the dog and its master:

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

– Ric12string

I agree - and I didn't. I think people are misunderstanding the nature of my original post and of the facebook post. There was nothing inflammatory in it. I just said that they never returned my calls, which is still true. That's kinda my point!

BUT also who is the hand and who is being fed? We're the ones bringing in dancers=drinkers=money for them. We get a very small fraction of that - so they're getting 'fed' more than we are. In any case I regard it as a symbiotic relationship, not a master/servant one. I'm no-ones servant (and thankfully I don't need to play for them to survive) :)

Maybe some of your bands fans would be willing to call the venue and ask them " We really enjoyed that band and come see them whenever they are playing, but we haven't seen them on your venue calendar. When are they coming back so that we can frequent your establishment? " Visions of potential $$ can grease the wheels of commerce.

– Steeple923

Apparently just that has been happening (which is nice to know people want us there) but I don't think they'll listen, regardless of which band it was. It's just how the place is run.

The question was asked earlier, is it really worth it? So, the venue won't listen to you, or your "fans". So what? Move on. Is that the only place you have to play? Probably not. Move on.

Arrgg! There are a lot of cover bands in my area and a seemingly shrinking amount of venues and opportunities to perform. I do my best, like any business stick to core values: have a great product, be dependable and communicate well. I believe that if we as a band continue to operate as such, we will create good relationships with various venues and promoters.

Earlier today, a promoter sent me a text with an opportunity and gave a string of available dates. After about an hour or so and few texts communicating with my guys, we respond with one of the available dates. The response from the promoter was, “Sorry, all the dates are filled.” Turns out the text I received was actually a bulk text to several bands and they promoter simply filled first come first serve.

This is just another aspect that infuriates me with this particular promoter. The first is he doesn’t bother to inform us that this is a first come first serve. So as fast as a carrot is dangled, it is taken away. The second and maybe larger issue is the bulk text and treating each band like a phone number isn’t exactly a great way to build a working relationship. This is just another instance with this promoter and nearly every time, something is a little quirky or some details are not communicated correctly leading to various headaches.

My truth serum has me thinking this person isn’t even aware or cares how they conduct business. It is very frustrating because this particular promoter is the gateway to some decent opportunities.

what to do....?

Fukc em. Don't play there. Play a different venue.

@ Neal - I feel your pain. We're the same and have had a similar experience with promoters via email. Which is one reason that I do all the booking myself. Hard work.

On a positive though, the venue mentioned in the OP did end up giving us some dates. See, I can be charming when pushed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation