About the Gretsch Pages

Get your guitar updated!

Everyone check your profile. I did and none of the pictures of my guitars were in the Guitar data base. Just uploaded pictures for 17 guitars and added 5 more guitars. Still have 3 more to add.

Thanks for the bump on this thread... it's still quite relevant, and I'm always willing to help folks get their guitar listings corrected and updated, but for the last few months I've felt like the Maytag Repairman...

Everyone check your profile. I did and none of the pictures of my guitars were in the Guitar data base. Just uploaded pictures for 17 guitars and added 5 more guitars. Still have 3 more to add.

– GreTschocaster

How is it that your '65 Corvette has a synthetic nut?

Ric12string , you are right it should be bone. Was so used to inputting synthetic for the other guitars today I did it for this one as well. Listing has been corrected. Thanks for catching that error!

The fact that we allow guitars to be entered in the GDP database without at least a partial serial number (batch identifier) has always made me crazy. I just don't see the point in having a database full of pretty guitar photos.

But now we have a guy (sinlicker) who's added the same (New Jet 6114) on three occasions, no info, no serial number, just different poses of his guitar. I know server space is cheap, but what's the point?

Ed, you know better than most how many Gretsches have no serial number.

If anyone can figure out a way around that problem, I'm all ears.

Ed, you also have absolute power to edit and even nuke entries.

The fact that we allow guitars to be entered in the GDP database without at least a partial serial number (batch identifier) has always made me crazy. I just don't see the point in having a database full of pretty guitar photos.

But now we have a guy (sinlicker) who's added the same (New Jet 6114) on three occasions, no info, no serial number, just different poses of his guitar. I know server space is cheap, but what's the point?

– kc_eddie_b

by the end of the day, there will be only one listing for that particular guitar. I'll handle it.

Ed, you know better than most how many Gretsches have no serial number.

If anyone can figure out a way around that problem, I'm all ears.

Ed, you also have absolute power to edit and even nuke entries.

– Baxter

I hear ya Bax, but I would submit that the majority of entries that lack serial numbers are for guitars that have their serial numbers, but the owners are just squeemish about posting it. Examples exist that you can see the label thru the f-holes, and yet no number recorded in the listing. And... that's cool, if they don't want to post even a partial number. It just means they won't be in the database. It's a voluntary thing... no pressure.

I would change the wording to something more definitive like... "no serial number exists", and unless that button is engaged, the listing either doesn't get accepted, or the system shoots an email to the enterer about including a serial number, perhaps with a little verbiage about how the serial number/batch tracking is much of the point of even having a database.

As far as editing, I've only used the nuke power on two occasions and only when asked by the person who did the entry. I won't edit an entry, but I regularly send messages back to owners pointing out the more egregious errors. They rarely go back and update their listing though. With the difficulty we have with Yahoo (and other) email servers, it's more effort to communicate with those making entries. Lots of bounce-backs.

I know that you're aware of that... and your hands are tied. Just a reality.

I hear ya Bax, but I would submit that the majority of entries that lack serial numbers are for guitars that have their serial numbers, but the owners are just squeemish about posting it. Examples exist that you can see the label thru the f-holes, and yet no number recorded in the listing. And... that's cool, if they don't want to post even a partial number. It just means they won't be in the database. It's a voluntary thing... no pressure.

I would change the wording to something more definitive like... "no serial number exists", and unless that button is engaged, the listing either doesn't get accepted, or the system shoots an email to the enterer about including a serial number, perhaps with a little verbiage about how the serial number/batch tracking is much of the point of even having a database.

As far as editing, I've only used the nuke power on two occasions and only when asked by the person who did the entry. I won't edit an entry, but I regularly send messages back to owners pointing out the more egregious errors. They rarely go back and update their listing though. With the difficulty we have with Yahoo (and other) email servers, it's more effort to communicate with those making entries. Lots of bounce-backs.

I know that you're aware of that... and your hands are tied. Just a reality.

– kc_eddie_b

As far as editing and corrections to the database, I'm slightly more draconian than you, Ed.

If the error is glaring and the correct info can be deduced from the submitted photo or description, I'll make the corrections without a second thought. It helps to keep the waters from getting to muddy when, for example, an uninformed person looks at two similar 6120 entries, and they both show a photo of guitars each with a bar bridge, yet one lists a tune-o-matic erroneously. I believe that confuses the uninitiated even more, so I edit for consistency with photos and descriptions-- which is really the whole point behind editing anyway. While I don't edit with impunity, I will not hesitate to correct an obviously erroneous listing if the correct information is available to me.

Here's a good example. Bax has at least encouraged the person to seek more info (on this '71 Roc jet), and he's pointed out some of the obvious feature info the person should have been able to enter, based on them having eyes.

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

Maybe it would just be better to have a photo, a model name/number, and a serial number... and leave it at that.

I re-did my CB Falcon, lost in the crash. Should be good now, but I've got one without the serial number and one with.

Here's a good example. Bax has at least encouraged the person to seek more info (on this '71 Roc jet), and he's pointed out some of the obvious feature info the person should have been able to enter, based on them having eyes.

http://gretschpages.com/gui...

Maybe it would just be better to have a photo, a model name/number, and a serial number... and leave it at that.

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, I understand your frustration with this, but as the old saying goes,

"you can lead a horse to water, but sometimes you just have to stick his damn head in yourself."

The listing you cited is a perfect example of where I would implement editiorial authority on top of notifiying the owner, and make obvious corrections myself. Submissions to the database are just that-- submissions.

We have people join the GDP all the time for the sole purpose of putting their guitar into the database... they never make the first post, and rarely participate in the community atmosphere. I personally don't have a problem with that in itself, but in such cases there's not much chance that you'll get any response to any email or notification regarding their database entry, so sometimes ya just gotta cowboy up and do things yourself.

If the aforementioned Roc Jet listing is still "as is" when i get home this evening, I'll take care of it as well.

You are of course correct TP, the only way to do it right, is to do it yourself. That's why I maintain my own database, where I can control the quality of the information input. I really have no skin in the game on the GDP database, other than trying to be a decent community member. But I just don't have the time to manage both. It really wouldn't matter at all, except I find Ebay sellers, dealers, and collectors quoting info they glean from the GDP... and then I get to break the news that their info isn't accurate. Puts me in an awkward position, as a loyal devotee of the site.

Hi all! Ive been away for a while. Nice to be back but I can't find a lot of my posts and pics of my Yikes Jet. What should I do? Also, is there a way to not make the home page picture pop up for every page I go to? Thanks, Gordy

Hi all! Ive been away for a while. Nice to be back but I can't find a lot of my posts and pics of my Yikes Jet. What should I do? Also, is there a way to not make the home page picture pop up for every page I go to? Thanks, Gordy

– Gordon Ramsey

Hi Gordon-- If it's not apparent by now, we had a major crash about a year ago. It looks like there are currently no guitars attached to your profile. If that is the case, you just need to re-enter them. If, in the process, you get a conflicting message ("serial number already exists", etc) just send me a PM (click on my avatar and the option should pop up) with the serial numbers and guitar models in question, and I'll get them re-attached to your profile... You see, during the crash some guitars were completely erased, while others are still in there, but not associated with any specific owner. I can re-attach them to your profile if they are still in there, but the only way to find out is trial & error.

Also, regarding the home page header, you can go to your profile page, click on the "EDIT" button, and set the header default to "collapse header" if you wish. Then, any time you want to actually see it, you just click on the little box at the top right of the page (icon looks like three parallel lines).

Well, I have not been visiting here for a long time but am not surprised that my guitar, memorability, radio postings etc. are missing…

I know it's a hard job keeping up with the volume Bax...

A few of my guitars are featured in Ed Ball's excellent "6120" book…

Of course this one of mine is everyones favorite!

Well, I have not been visiting here for a long time but am not surprised that my guitar, memorability, radio postings etc. are missing…

I know it's a hard job keeping up with the volume Bax...

A few of my guitars are featured in Ed Ball's excellent "6120" book…

Of course this one of mine is everyones favorite!

– 57Chet

Nick, when Bax experienced the database meltdown, many of the guitars were "lost". I believe that the data is there, but it has gotten so jumbled up that you can't find them. Same thing with many of the old threads.

Most of us just bit the bullet and put them back in the database. I hope you do the same.

Nice to see you on the Pages again.

Register Sign in to join the conversation