About the Gretsch Pages

GDP Messages are sketchy at best.

Maybe the system doesn't allow for self-addressed messages. It's nothing that would be needed in the real world other than these random troubleshooting tests so I can't see why it should be a problem. Curt, have you tried messaging yourself from a different user account?

This site is the best Gretsch resource on the 'net - better even than the official Gretsch site. It's free, friendly and we're not bombarded by unnecessary and unwanted ads every few seconds. (It's true we do have a number of volantary sponsors and their ads are shown, but they are discreet and on-topic and by no means intrusive.) Personally I've never (knowingly) had a problem with PMs so for me this is all a bit of a storm in a teacup.

This is clearly not Bax's main job and I'm not sure phrases like "Why can't Bax fix it??" are particularly helpful or show the requisite level of consideration for what we have here. I think I know how I'd react if such a phrase were directed at something I were giving to the community for free.

If you've got the technical knowhow to make these things work then I'm sure Bax would be amenable to a bit of assistance (although it looks as though you'd be better served offering that help to Yahoo rather than Bax). If you don't, maybe it'd be better to hold off on the demands and just work around it.

I have yet to have a problem with the PM here, other than with those with a yahoo email.

How would anyone know they aren’t getting their messages?

Yes I’ve used my wife’s, daughters and even my dogs account, nothing.

I don’t care anymore, I know it’s a problem and as long as others know it can’t be used as a reliable source of communication then I’m good with that. It’s getting a little long in the tooth when people see me in person and are pissed that I ignored them.

Is there a way to eliminate my profile so it’s impossible to contact me?

Or better yet just delete me entirely.

With a bit of googling, it appears there's an issue with comcast emails as well: https://support.google.com/...

Curt, I'd suggest using one of your other accounts for your email here. Let me know which one and I'll change it.

With a bit of googling, it appears there's an issue with comcast emails as well: https://support.google.com/...

Curt, I'd suggest using one of your other accounts for your email here. Let me know which one and I'll change it.

– Baxter

According to that discussion, the problem has something to do with the content in signature lines triggering spam filters on inbound the email Server. Does the PM system add an auto-sig tag with a link, or something similar?

Other than with Yahoo addresses, I haven’t experienced any major issues on PM exchanges, and I get quite a few PMs regarding database questions.

Well, to be honest I didn't read into it all that deep. Once I saw some indication of a problem with comcast emails I kinda just ran with "that's probably it". The PM system doesn't add anything, but maybe there's a hidden header they're looking at or something. Not sure. At any rate, if I was Curt and had multiple email accounts, I'd try a different one.

Redrocker, I sent you a test PM and copied myself.

I did receive my email in my inbox.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

JD... confirming I did not receive your PM

JD... confirming I did not receive your PM

– redrocker

I'll send you one again, and copy myself. Thanks.

I messaged myself and it worked, FWIW.

I received your message as well.

I received your message as well.

– Bonedaddy

Same here, got your response.

I run a Postfix mail server as well, although it's not my everyday gig :)

Looking at the headers from my last PM I cc'ed to myself, I see a few potential issues with the PM mail configuration.

1) The Reverse DNS for "mail.gretschpages.com" resolves to static.cloud-ips.com.

2) I suspect the helo greeting would then throw a flag on some servers...helo I'm mail.gretschpages.com...Uh, no, you're static.cloud.ips.com.

3) spf=softfail...the IP of the GDP mail server is not authorized to send mail through Gmail in my case, for example.

4) dmarc=fail

Depending on how hardened the receiving mail server is, I suspect any combination of the above could present a problem. But I only look at server stuff when I absolutely have to, so I freely submit that I may be out of the tech loop. The last server I set up was about 4 or 5 years ago.

Some suggestions....

1) Have your ISP change the PTR to mail.gretschpages.com

2) That would fix the helo issue as well (a two-fer)

3) Add an spf record to your DNS and change the FROM field of the PM to something like "no-reply@gretschpages.com" and the REPLY-TO as the PM'ers email address.

4) Add DKIM

That should do it

Pm's have not worked for some time.

Taffy seemed a bit upset with me at the Roundup because I had ignored his messages. I had to tell him that I never got them.

I say they don't work but I have gotten some from some people. It's evidently sporadic.

– Suprdave

Dave I could never be upset with you, how could anyone?

– Taffy

Taffy was especially angry with me because I've never written him before.

I come here to escape my I.T. job mugsy! lol - kidding, great lookout on that.

I'll send you one again, and copy myself. Thanks.

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Dang, another one not received.

Dang, another one not received.

– redrocker

In the meantime, this might come in handy....

Taffy was especially angry with me because I've never written him before.

– crowbone

Hahaha

– Taffy

I guess upset is a bit harsh. You didn't really seem upset just somewhat disappointed, understandably.

Lets just say you seemed bewildered that I didn't return your messages, which makes sense. Much love to ya, Taffy.

Really the only time it's an issue for me is when I'm planning the roundup and I normally post my personal email up for direct messaging but If I were a sponsor, I could understand concern.

I rarely PM others here and have amassed a few emails from prior communications.

Analog...

I hope this resolves...it's inconvenient sometimes but not worth so much chat.

When we were in SC I had a time period where Verizon Email could be had on my phone, but not on my computer. I had to leave my ISP's service area, which was a local homegrown County entity, and cross the bridge into Comcast-land. My Inbox couldn't take more than 300, and if it exceeded that limit it would stop sending new ones. I'd go to Staples...log in, clear them out, etc. every couple weeks until this newest generation of hardware and software and protocol incompatibility were resolved by our home service provider. Took about 3 months...

My other Email accounts worked fine the entire time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation