About the Gretsch Pages

GDP Messages are sketchy at best.

Please don’t assume that when you send a message on the GDP that anyone ever receives it. I think the contact link on our profiles should be deleted.

Or just the indignation when your private message goes unanswered.

Exactly, if it doesn’t work consistently then why have it?

PM has been tostada for a long time.

Or just the indignation when your private message goes unanswered.

– crowbone

speaking of which, I sent you one just the other day, John.

I'm SURE that I must have missed ALL KINDS of PM's.

Why can't Bax fix it?? I believe it's an important feature.

speaking of which, I sent you one just the other day, John.

– Sgt Rock

Seriously?

I usually get them since I changed my email over from Yahoo to Gmail.

Seriously?

I usually get them since I changed my email over from Yahoo to Gmail.

– crowbone

yep, seriously. I'll send another.

I feel like I'm a guest living in a house that needs a lot of work but when I offer to help my offers get rejected. This foundation needs to be addressed or all this knowledge and information that has been shared will get lost in the rubble when the house collapses which would be nothing less than tragic. Thankfully Ed Ball has the accurate list of serial numbers documented. We've already lost a lot of significant history and I sense more will be lost due to neglect.

...and I'm also not getting 'likes' or friend requests on facebook, phone calls, letters or visitors. Please fix this.

I understood that so long as a Yahoo dot com address is not part of the equation, the messaging system worked ok.

And for me, it has so far.

Pm's have not worked for some time.

Taffy seemed a bit upset with me at the Roundup because I had ignored his messages. I had to tell him that I never got them.

I say they don't work but I have gotten some from some people. It's evidently sporadic.

I understood that so long as a Yahoo dot com address is not part of the equation, the messaging system worked ok.

And for me, it has so far.

– Kevin Frye

I have me.com, yahoo.com. gmail.com. comcast.net and when I sent a message to myself nothing showed up. If I received an error message I wouldn't have an issue.

My comments aren't about bitching they are about what does it take to solve the problems and let me know what I can do to help.

Curt Just sent a test, and the cc tells me it went to your comcast- the one with 4 "c's"... Lemme know if it made it or not.

I agree with Curt that this is a great storehouse of valuable info, and another data loss would be tragic. However, I don't see that happening, because (from what I understand) regular database backups have happened ever since the Big Meltdown.

That said, I used to work in website development and QA, so I have to ask generally:

Do we know for sure that unreceived PM's are directly a result of an internal problem with this website? — or rather, could some PMs be going to inbox spam and not getting to users? (Protocols for this depend on the email account provider.)

I'm asking the question to simply verify the logic/re-creation of the bug (essential when resolving issues).

I of course don't know what PMs I may have not received, but my GDP PM email address is with earthlink.net, and I've consistently received them (i.e. "no I didn't get your PM there, Bob") ... along with self-cc 's on my sent PMs, which I select every time I send one to a GDP member. Also, all the PMs I've initiated to others were received successfully.

Just noting all this for the record — no axe to grind.

I agree with Curt that this is a great storehouse of valuable info, and another data loss would be tragic. However, I don't see that happening, because (from what I understand) regular database backups have happened ever since the Big Meltdown.

That said, I used to work in website development and QA, so I have to ask generally:

Do we know for sure that unreceived PM's are directly a result of an internal problem with this website? — or rather, could some PMs be going to inbox spam and not getting to users? (Protocols for this depend on the email account provider.)

I'm asking the question to simply verify the logic/re-creation of the bug (essential when resolving issues).

I of course don't know what PMs I may have not received, but my GDP PM email address is with earthlink.net, and I've consistently received them (i.e. "no I didn't get your PM there, Bob") ... along with self-cc 's on my sent PMs, which I select every time I send one to a GDP member. Also, all the PMs I've initiated to others were received successfully.

Just noting all this for the record — no axe to grind.

– redrocker

Redrocker, I sent you a test PM and copied myself.

I did receive my email in my inbox.

To the best of my knowledge they work perfectly except when one party has a yahoo address. This is not a defect in the code, it’s some pissing match between google (which delivers the gdp mail) and yahoo.

That's been going on forever...well, at least a decade....

And, y’know, anyone wondering about how anything works is welcome to drop me a line. Any time.

I had an exchange yesterday with "Jams". It came back as "undeliverable" to me, but he received it and replied.

JD and I just has a successful exchange a few minutes ago...

The first step in any recovery is acknowledging there’s a problem. As I typed before I’ve tried messaging myself and Never received my own message, glitch, fluke, broken?

Register Sign in to join the conversation