About the Gretsch Pages

GDP Memoriam Section?

Not to be morbid - in fact the intention is quite the opposite - but it seems to me we could do with a section dedicated to the memory and contributions of permanently departed members.

Entries in such a section would have to be created by an admin, so that each departee has his own (and only one) page, listing his name, GDP nick, birth and death dates, years of activity on the GDP, and maybe a short bio and overview of GDP presence. An easy way to search his posts and topics would be cool.

After that lead-off kinda-obit article, it’s an open topic for anyone to post to as we do in such threads now: memories, appreciations, etc. When someone thinks of a departed member and posts his thoughts (as Richard has recently done for Bear), those posts would naturally go to the guy’s memorial page; it would rise to the top, we’d be reminded, and there would be all the guy’s links, lore, and love in one place.

This would make it something of a combination of guest book, hall of fame, and permanent record. Music, Guitars, the brand, this place - and the people we meet here - are important to those of us who spend time here. It would be suitable that we formally remember our own right here where they’ve given so much.

When we were all young and immortal, it wasn’t needed. Turns out things don’t turn out that way.

It could be “Great Gig in the Sky” or maybe “The Final Roundup.” Last Roundup?

—————

We’ve lost several members just in the last few months, and that’s put me onto trying to remember all who’ve passed in my time here. I know of Scott (Zuma) Wolfe, Tom (from PA) Sitler, Ray Beals, Steve (Bear) Bistrow, Jay/Taylor (Gretschman36) Steele, and most recently “The” Norm Van Maastricht.

There are surely others I’ve forgotten or didn’t know - and that’s the point. In the nature of things, we leave little enough mark of our mortal sojourn, and the truest immortality is in the hearts and minds of those who remember.

If it was important enough to a member during his life to scratch his marks here, we should re-member him.

I agree, and have pondered the idea myself. The main thing I get stuck on is how you decide who gets added, and who maintains it.

Any dead member gets added. We get wind of a death, and someone who best knew the member either reaches out to a spouse or other survivor (if that contact info is available), or finds the public/online obit for pertinent info we might not otherwise have. (Those of us still animate might mention to our people that in the unlikely event we should ever play our last D-minor, they should let the GDP know.)

Then an admin (you, obviously, but there are a few others with at least some admin credentials - and a couple memoriam admins could volunteer and be designated) creates the lead-off article (soliciting input from other members as needed). Once the lead article is in place, it shouldn’t take much maintenance.

To start the section, we’d catch up on the ones we know about - surely at least a few more than I’ve remembered - and take some care to list the posts in chrono order by date of death. After that, order takes care of itself.

At least so far, we’re not dropping so fast it would be much of a burden.

Another way I've seen this handled is to add the annotation "gone, but not forgotten" to a deceased forum-member's profile.

A splendid idea, Proteus. We should have thought to do this some time ago.

I agree Tim & Tim. An excellent suggestion but I can see that the "discovery" and initial research aspects could be a challenge.

I think that it's a great idea Tim. In the short time I've been here, I've learned that there are remarkably kind and knowledgeable people, who have contributed a great deal to the GDP. I think that honoring those who have passed on, is extremely worthwhile. Though I sadly came to this place too late to have known Norm Van Maastricht, he was brought to my attention by the posting of his death here. I visited "The Norm Spot", and discovered so much about his life, that I bought his book. Memorializing our fallen brothers and sisters, would do honor to their memory.

Not to be morbid - in fact the intention is quite the opposite - but it seems to me we could do with a section dedicated to the memory and contributions of permanently departed members.

Entries in such a section would have to be created by an admin, so that each departee has his own (and only one) page, listing his name, GDP nick, birth and death dates, years of activity on the GDP, and maybe a short bio and overview of GDP presence. An easy way to search his posts and topics would be cool.

After that lead-off kinda-obit article, it’s an open topic for anyone to post to as we do in such threads now: memories, appreciations, etc. When someone thinks of a departed member and posts his thoughts (as Richard has recently done for Bear), those posts would naturally go to the guy’s memorial page; it would rise to the top, we’d be reminded, and there would be all the guy’s links, lore, and love in one place.

This would make it something of a combination of guest book, hall of fame, and permanent record. Music, Guitars, the brand, this place - and the people we meet here - are important to those of us who spend time here. It would be suitable that we formally remember our own right here where they’ve given so much.

When we were all young and immortal, it wasn’t needed. Turns out things don’t turn out that way.

It could be “Great Gig in the Sky” or maybe “The Final Roundup.” Last Roundup?

—————

We’ve lost several members just in the last few months, and that’s put me onto trying to remember all who’ve passed in my time here. I know of Scott (Zuma) Wolfe, Tom (from PA) Sitler, Ray Beals, Steve (Bear) Bistrow, Jay/Taylor (Gretschman36) Steele, and most recently “The” Norm Van Maastricht.

There are surely others I’ve forgotten or didn’t know - and that’s the point. In the nature of things, we leave little enough mark of our mortal sojourn, and the truest immortality is in the hearts and minds of those who remember.

If it was important enough to a member during his life to scratch his marks here, we should re-member him.

– Proteus

Don't forget Cam (cbell).

I think your spot on proteus. In ham radio, we call the deceased "silent key" ( morse code tool). Could we call them silent axes? Could be an improvement to an already excellent web site.

“Happy Trails”

We will never forget Cam.

I don’t think it’s morbid and agree that it is a good idea.

Damn! I had Cam at the top of my mind when I started the post, and it evaporated by the end. My deepest apologies to his memory.

Dang dang dang. Of course, Cam.

Damn! I had Cam at the top of my mind when I started the post, and it evaporated by the end. My deepest apologies to his memory.

Dang dang dang. Of course, Cam.

– Proteus

He's the guy we all want to be when we grow up.

This is a great idea! Plus 100!!

I had a similar thought when my Mom passed this year. My idea was probably equally morbid.

I considered making the theme of the Nashville Roundup to be a tribute to all those artists who have blessed us with music and left us. Karolyn said that was too morbid. She's probably right.

I think it's a wonderful idea. We all have an electronic footprint out there and personally I've wondered how to spread the news when our time comes. I belong to half dozen forums and I think people would like to know if I suddenly stopped posting, for closure if nothing else.

Yep, great idea!

Register Sign in to join the conversation