About the Gretsch Pages

GDP History.

Hey Bax, I was just looking at the timeline that we have on this site. I think the birth of the GDP should be listed there, as well.

I was having a discussion with Joe C at the Roundup and he mentioned that we are making Gretsch history with our roundups, since no other brand does this. I don't think the Roundups themselves need to be dated but the birth of the GDP is a Grestch historical event, IMO.

Whatdya think?

Suprdave, I think that you are perhaps mistaken in two respects:

• First, it is important to distinguish between corporate events and events which the consumers themselves organize. Our Roundups (at least our California Gold Rush Roundup) is not underwritten by Gretsch in any manner. Rather, the people who attend the event are the organizers and are the ones who bear the costs of the event. Now, I hasten to add that Gretsch Guitars (or more appropriately, Joe Carducci) is very, very generous with us in providing swag for the pick drop games. That certainly goes a long, long way in making the Roundup events fun. I surmise, however, that even if the powers that be told Joe that he couldn't give away swag anymore, these Roundup events would continue on, even if attended by a few less people. So, the Gretsch brand, as you characterized it, is not producing the Roundup events.

• Also, Rickenbacker used to have consumer events for years. I don't recall if those events were corporate underwritten events, or whether they were like Roundups in having been organized by the players of Rickenbacker guitars. But, there were definitely Rickenbacker events for consumers. I seem to recall them being held somewhere back east.

EDIT: HERE is a link to some threads that talk about Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences. I see that one was held recently in the San Francisco Bay Area.

All of that being said, there would certainly be lots of reasons to note when the GDP was formed, if for no other reason than for us to proudly plant our flag in a small corner of the guitar manufacturing and consuming marketplace to mark our origins.

I've witnessed Gretsch guitars come into existence because of what has been written here by players.

Bob, I'm pretty sure that Dave knows well enough that there is no corporate sponsorship, and I doubt that he intended to imply any such relationship. Just to clarify on his behalf, I believe he was referring to the player loyalty and enthusiasm for the brand in general... To the point that we have organized unsponsored Get-togethers across the globe, with the GDP serving as the initial touchstone for the Roundup phenomenon.

I think Joe's point in his conversation with Dave is that you don't generally see that for most guitar brands, nothing more than that.

Hey Bob, I was talking specifically about the history listing on this site. I won't be sending Sir Fred any emails asking him to include us in the actual history of Gretsch guitars but at some point, likely long after we're gone, that could happen. Right now. we are instrumental in the process. We are building pride and new customers for the line. And hey, I'm just quoting Joe C on this.

For the record, my zombie Rally was the first thinline, no F holed double cut in Gretsch History.

It begs the question...

Where's MY Signature Model?

Where's MY Signature Model?

Here it is:

;)

Bob, I'm pretty sure that Dave knows well enough that there is no corporate sponsorship, and I doubt that he intended to imply any such relationship. Just to clarify on his behalf, I believe he was referring to the player loyalty and enthusiasm for the brand in general... To the point that we have organized unsponsored Get-togethers across the globe, with the GDP serving as the initial touchstone for the Roundup phenomenon.

I think Joe's point in his conversation with Dave is that you don't generally see that for most guitar brands, nothing more than that.

– Tartan Phantom

Right, I understand. But, once you post something on the internet, it never goes away. People take it for the gospel truth.

I was merely correcting two things in Dave's post that might have left the reader with a mistaken impression about Roundups and whether this is the only brand of guitars where users have organized these off-line events.

Again, I am all in favor of noting here on the GDP's history page when it was that the GDP was founded. Carry on.

Rickenbacker Confluences, as they were called were held anywhere where there were enough Rick players to make one happen. I attended one in 2011 in Los Alamitos, CA. The venue was a place called The Starting Gate. And that one was privately organized. John Hall was in attendance, but RIC was not a corporate sponsor. The theme of the gathering was RIC's 80th birthday. There was even a birthday cake for the occasion. I've got many fine memories of that week end.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just couldn't resist reliving a memory.

Which reminds me: Is there ever going to be another Cowtown Roundup? The last one was a blast.

Hey Bax, I was just looking at the timeline that we have on this site. I think the birth of the GDP should be listed there, as well.

I was having a discussion with Joe C at the Roundup and he mentioned that we are making Gretsch history with our roundups, since no other brand does this. I don't think the Roundups themselves need to be dated but the birth of the GDP is a Grestch historical event, IMO.

Whatdya think?

– Suprdave

"I think the birth of the GDP should be listed there, as well." — agree, In fact I say why the heck not? If ya got it, flaunt it.

The Round-ups are unique. And the GDP was the reason for their reality.

Rickenbacker, Gibson, Fender just don't do stuff like we do. And that's not being tribal, it's just true.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I just couldn't resist reliving a memory.

Which reminds me: Is there ever going to be another Cowtown Roundup? The last one was a blast.

– Jim Krause

If you find yourself asking this question, as we sometimes do, consider running one yourself.

Theres quite a bit of work and logistics to it but the payoff, well, if you've ever been to one, you know what the reward is.

The many folks here who've hosted one or more I'm sure would love to help or advise you on getting one going.

Ok, so..what dates ya thinking!

If you find yourself asking this question, as we sometimes do, consider running one yourself.

Theres quite a bit of work and logistics to it but the payoff, well, if you've ever been to one, you know what the reward is.

The many folks here who've hosted one or more I'm sure would love to help or advise you on getting one going.

Ok, so..what dates ya thinking!

– crowbone

Jim, if you're interested, just reach out to the guys/gals in the KC area. finding a venue will be the main factor. searching for one now is a good time for finding one for next Spring/Summer/Fall. I have experience in setting up the last one we had up here in Minnesota. so, I can help out from up here if you like. you'll need to consider accessibility, lodging, and etc..

John(Crowbone), since you're asking about dates, I expect to see you there. oh, and bring your NEW JET.

Yep, Fender owns Gretsch and not only do they sponsor the roundups they make us chant Gretsch is good along with other lemming chants that sends subliminal messages across the internet and movie theaters to buy another Gretsch which has ended marriages but has been quite effective.

Yep, Fender owns Gretsch and not only do they sponsor the roundups they make us chant Gretsch is good along with other lemming chants that sends subliminal messages across the internet and movie theaters to buy another Gretsch which has ended marriages but has been quite effective.

– Curt Wilson

..and the obligatory face tattoo.

..and the obligatory face tattoo.

– NJBob

How did I forget that?

Mine is not on my face and it's a branding.

I get what you're saying, Rick. I certainly agree and I'm not trying to confuse the already confused masses. For the record, so it's in print...

" Roundups are NOT Gretsch sanctioned events. They are a social gathering of Gretsch Pages members that is attended by a representative of Gretsch guitars. "

Jim, I had heard about the Rickenbacker gatherings but somehow I don't associate them the same as our roundups.

If you need any assistance on roundup ideas, you're welcome to contact me as well. The One Cowtown roundup I attended was a blast and I got to meet cool people like you.

Jim, if you're interested, just reach out to the guys/gals in the KC area. finding a venue will be the main factor. searching for one now is a good time for finding one for next Spring/Summer/Fall. I have experience in setting up the last one we had up here in Minnesota. so, I can help out from up here if you like. you'll need to consider accessibility, lodging, and etc..

John(Crowbone), since you're asking about dates, I expect to see you there. oh, and bring your NEW JET.

– Sgt Rock

I'll pretty much have to be there now!

Brent, I'm beginning to think that you only love me for my New Jet!

I'll pretty much have to be there now!

Brent, I'm beginning to think that you only love me for my New Jet!

– crowbone

wait a minute !!! you ain't that special. ha ha ha

Register Sign in to join the conversation