About the Gretsch Pages

F’n SPAM!!!

Since all the admins are crazy busy and only check in sporadically I think it would be a good idea to hand a set of keys to someone like Mr. Tru-Arc to sweep these stupid posts away. Just enough access so it doesn't look like a rollercoaster than has fallen off the tracks, yes?

Although I wouldn't mind the SS Impala.

Absolutely right. You have to whack the moles, even though more will come. Otherwise, we will just be over-run with critters.

The situation also indicates that Avast may not have been entirely out of order in categorising this site as suspect, given the ever-increasing prevalence of spammy miscreants free to roam without hindrance.

Pest control is fast becoming an urgent matter.

And how exactly are these 12yo posts being found? We can't even find them...

Yes, it's getting worse. Some come in under the radar -- like that Clapton post this week.- it was noticed by me and others.

Just anything that seems out of the ordinary like that or obvious stuff -- if those spammers made a accounts to do this, can those accounts be deleted @ same time?

Yeah it’s pretty irritating. I would put my hand up for spam-patrol.

But I do appreciate the positive comments about the legal profession.

I will say that I'm sure that the Mods are on top of some of it. We get our daily notice email and see what topics were posted since our last visit.

I never saw these posted but they were in my notification email. ....

Expect a wide-spectrum regimen of spam control, and other developments, soon.

Avast has kept me locked out for the last week. Glad to be back.

What kind of success rate could they possibly have? A tiny fraction of one percent? All they can possibly get is tons of bad karma.

Expect a wide-spectrum regimen of spam control, and other developments, soon.

– Proteus

This is more cryptic than the spam

What kind of success rate could they possibly have? A tiny fraction of one percent? All they can possibly get is tons of bad karma. - wabash slim

That's something I've always wondered: Who actually responds to these things?

What's the probability of one of us saying to ourselves: "You know, I was wanting to write a good resume, but I just couldn't do it without some online help from a total stranger with unusual syntax. Today's my lucky day!", and then clicks the link?

There's no way that I would even click on the link to see what the heck they were talking about. With my luck, I'd download some virus that the antivirus software isn't aware of yet and my computer would wind up as part of a botnet for something like the North Korean missile program.

I'm sure that Baxter, or whoever is taking care of such things now, is doing what they can. I've seen quite a few of those threads that were there when I first open New Topics that are gone when I go to read a thread or two and then come back. However, the GDP has definitely been under assault lately, and the new trend of resurrecting old threads and/or making posts that are supposed to look like real posts, such as: "I very much like the thing or things that you are talking about, and often use this website to view similar things" is disturbing.

Collapsing them only goes so far, and whoever is taking care of the problem for us could obviously use some help. I take it from Proteus' enigmatic post above that something is going on behind the scenes, and I'm grateful.

I work in IT and lots of people respond to these things or else I wouldn't have a job defending and eradicating the bad guys.

– Twangmeisternyc

RIGHT?!?!?!?! HAHAHAHHA

What kind of success rate could they possibly have? A tiny fraction of one percent? - wabash slim

I once had a scam document (some kind of Walmart gift card scam, IIRC) sent to my house by priority mail. And I don't recall the details, but I remember that had I fallen for it, it only would have netted the scammer about $250. To spend $5 on postage for a $250 payoff, they'd need a 2% success rate just to break even. But scamming is their profession, so I presume that they are doing better than 2% or they wouldn't be doing it. I guess a paper document sent by priority mail must give it a sufficient veneer of legitimacy to fool more people than you might expect.

With the spam and virtual scams, there's probably very little overhead, so I suppose even a very small success rate could be profitable.

– Twangmeisternyc

That is a bit odd, isn't it?

Looks like things are getting spic and spam around here. Thanks moderators.

Register Sign in to join the conversation