About the Gretsch Pages

Can anyone explain this to me?

When I come to Gretsch Pages there is always a "guitar of the day" posted, but I can never see it. All I get is a black square with that tiny question mark in blue. I'd like to see the guitars, haha!

Same here. I used to enjoy when one of my guitars showed up there.

You need a higher security clearance. Check with your local FBI office.

I can explain it. It's based on votes, and since the crash either votes are jacked or people aren't voting. I hope the former.

There is a guitar of the day? Yay for how awesomely aware I am of my surroundings!

yeah, I haven't seen anything in that box since "the crash".

I can explain it. It's based on votes, and since the crash either votes are jacked or people aren't voting. I hope the former.

– Baxter

I'm pretty sure it's the former, not the latter.

I've voted for several guitars since the crash, and they still say "0" votes-- I can vote for them again and again, it looks like they "take" the vote, moving the count up to "1", but then when you refresh/reload the page the vote count goes back to "0"... something's screwy.

I just did this very thing a few days ago on this guitar (see link)-- every time I go back to the page the vote count is back to "0".

Link

same thing with this link:

Link

lots of little things still not right since the crash... like having to use a double carriage return to start a new paragraph in a post-- it was like that a long time ago, then it was fixed where the word wrap would recognize a single carriage return (enter), now it's back to double carriage return (hitting enter twice), which puts a blank line in between. It's not a huge issue, but occasionally it causes formatting issues, especially if a photo is also included in the post. Also, another minor issue, but the winky-eye smiley still doesn't work-- seems the rest are OK though... I guess 13 out of 14 isn't bad.

Aside...how many didn't even blink at the "double carriage return" phrase, and how many wondered, "What is he talking about?" Oh, how our lives have changed. I installed an app (Tom Hanks came up with the idea) that makes the heavenly sound of an Underwood typewriter as you tap along on your iPad. It was so great, took me back to my youth.

It was so annoying, I uninstalled it ten minutes later. Ah, peace and quiet.

Sorry for the derail...discuss.

Aside...how many didn't even blink at the "double carriage return" phrase, and how many wondered, "What is he talking about?" Oh, how our lives have changed. I installed an app (Tom Hanks came up with the idea) that makes the heavenly sound of an Underwood typewriter as you tap along on your iPad. It was so great, took me back to my youth.

– Deed Eddy

In so many ways...

I have to admit that after being around here for more than a few years... I had no idea that we could vote on guitars. I gotta get out of the vintage section more often!

– Deed Eddy

For Deed...

My dad bought this at a used buisness equipment store in the late 60s. I typed every book report or term paper I had to write on it when I was in school.

Ditto, man does that take me back. The "r" never hit the ribbon quite right.

And good luck changing the ribbon as it spooled across the carpet!

Please guys, what ever happened to the Guitar of the Day?

For Deed...

My dad bought this at a used buisness equipment store in the late 60s. I typed every book report or term paper I had to write on it when I was in school.

– Blutonium

My jr. and sr. high school papers were typed on an old manual Royal.
In college I used my mom's IBM Selectric ball typewriter that had a built in white-out ribbon for mistakes. That was a great machine.

– Baxter

How does one vote for a guitar that can't be seen?

By visiting the guitars section from time to time, or keeping an eye on the activity feed for new ones.

Okay then, please vote up this guitar of mine because it always brightens my day to see it appear as Guitar of the Day. And I know that my happiness is something that all of you worry about.

Okay then, please vote up this guitar of mine because it always brightens my day to see it appear as Guitar of the Day. And I know that my happiness is something that all of you worry about.

– Ric12string

Voting, but the site is still not retaining my vote if the page is refreshed.

Ok, so now it looks like the guitar vote count isn't refreshing as it should. The vast majority of the guitar listings that I have sampled show either "0" or "1" existing votes on the vote button, but when I click on the button to vote, the number changes (seemingly) to the actual number of votes-- UNTIL you leave the page or refresh... when you return to the page, the "0" or "1" is back again, showing as the current vote count.... so it appears the actual number of votes are in Django somewhere, but somehow not correlating with the "Featured Guitar" function, or the actual displayed vote count.

Baxter, perhaps the guitar of the day algorithm is reading the "0" or "1" instead of the true vote count... and maybe that's why no guitars are showing up as "Today's Featured Guitar". Something is still definitely amiss with the vote/Featured Guitar relationship, somewhere deep in Django, because a couple of the guitars listed above now have at least 5 votes, but over the last few days I still haven't seen a Featured Guitar appear on the home page, only the broken image box with a default hotlink to gretschpages.com.

So now, like Ric12string, I'm gonna shill for the sake of more testing of the vote system.

Please vote up the following guitars, because, unlike Ric12string, It doesn't necessarily warm my heart to see them appear as guitar of the day, but I did spend a heck of a lot of time & effort to document and detail each of them, including a descriptive narrative... and each one of them is very special to me for the reasons detailed in the descriptions-- plus the photography is nice on each, and remember, each vote cast will help troubleshoot the issues with the "Featured Guitar" that doesn't currently seem to work...

And while you're in there stuffing the ballot box Chicago-style, feel free to leave a comment on any of them... you know, typical GDP comments, like: " My Anni is better than your Anni", "the knobs on your Bo Diddley model aren't period correct", "You really need some gold piping for that Country Club case" or "I like cheese!"-- you get the idea..

6130KPW Knotty Pine Roundup Prototype

2810 Bo Diddley

6118 125th Anniversary aka "Belle"

6196T Country Club (the "Birthday Club")

9350 Park Avenue Mandolin

Is that enough shilling for now?? I gots more, ya know.

C'mon, folks-- Let's see if we can get this Featured Guitar thingy working right again!

The only thing I have noticed is when I click onto the forum, the picture of the guitar of the day is very blurred. It used to be blurred and then instantly sharpen, for me at least, it doesn't do it any more.....Guitar player problems...

Register Sign in to join the conversation