About the Gretsch Pages

As the G Rocks

Blackrider's sidebar ad has a rocking G animated gif. It rocks 62 times a minute.

How many times has it rocked since it went live?

There's a myriad of questions built into that question, and I doubt we can have the answer. Presumably just one bit of code makes it rock, but there's a quantum issue: does it only rock when someone is watching it rock (or at least when Blackrider's ad is live on-screen), or is it considered always to be rocking, observed or not?

And is each iteration of the rocking code, running in every browser on which the ad is "live" at any given time, considered another instance of the Rocking G?

If so, the answer is surely incalculable. We'd have to know on how many screens it was active at every moment since it went up. That would involve determining, for each unit of time (down to the minute? second?) not only how many IP addresses were logged into the site, but which page each was viewing, and whether Blackrider's ad was active for that IP. (Which in turn would require knowing how the GDP decides which ad to activate on each screen load - whether it's random or a predictable rotation. If each ad has equal likelihood of loading, we'd at least have a factor to work with [but when the ad went up, there were fewer sponsors than today's 8, so we'd need an algorithm to average the appearance over time].)

Just to get some number, I assumed the ad went live in 2006 (which is when I think this version of the site appeared), so 13 years ago. And I'm pretending I loaded a page showing the ad on that day, and have left it up since.

In that case, the G has rocked 423,633,600 times.

Which is a little disappointing. If you had traveled a mile for every time it rocked - which works out to 3,720 mph - you wouldn't even be to Jupiter yet. You'd have 60,166,400 miles to go.

So keep on rockin'.

On my computer only the "Dave's guitar shop" and "TVJones" logos are seen. There are no other logos and I haven't seen the Rocking G for quite some time. I had actually forgotten that it even rocks, til this thread.

On my computer only the "Dave's guitar shop" and "TVJones" logos are seen.

At the moment. Those are all I see right now as well. But the Blackrider G was definitely rocking for me when I started the post.

Wow. As if you actually had any spare time on your hands to exposit on this...

I'm procrastinating against other work. Unfortunately, this only took about 15 minutes. I'm looking for something else to do now.

oh, okay. The logos rotate. So now you have to figure that into your algorithm.

Thanks for the reminder.. hadn't thought bout Blackrider in a while.

African or European?

lol I dont see any of it on my 13 year old computer, but I do want to make a sub-100$ purchase from Black Rider, anything I should be worried about?

Maybe my Mac Book is considered vintage?? I could trade it for an Annie on their site lol

Right now, I have TruArc Bridgeworks and Old School guitars showing.

Neither one is moving, so I guess I have room for a little more libation.

What about south of the equator? Does it rock in reverse?

You're a lonely man, aren't you?

The engineer in me says to check the server logs where that image is hosted and compare them with GPD logs for timing. Though I doubt they go back 13 years.

And just to complicate this a bit more... the G only rocks on my iPad while I’m scrolling.

If a G rocks on the internet, and no one is logged on to see it, does it still rock?

This brings up a related question for me: Did Indiana legalize marijuana?

What’s another word for thesaurus?

What’s another word for thesaurus?

– tubwompus

“Another word” book.

Or maybe is it you who's kinda rocking while watching the site?

What's the sound of one hand clapping?

– Devil's Tool

MU!

Sorry. It’s not often that I get to put my Asian religious studies degree to good use.

Blackrider's sidebar ad has a rocking G animated gif. It rocks 62 times a minute.

How many times has it rocked since it went live?

There's a myriad of questions built into that question, and I doubt we can have the answer. Presumably just one bit of code makes it rock, but there's a quantum issue: does it only rock when someone is watching it rock (or at least when Blackrider's ad is live on-screen), or is it considered always to be rocking, observed or not?

And is each iteration of the rocking code, running in every browser on which the ad is "live" at any given time, considered another instance of the Rocking G?

If so, the answer is surely incalculable. We'd have to know on how many screens it was active at every moment since it went up. That would involve determining, for each unit of time (down to the minute? second?) not only how many IP addresses were logged into the site, but which page each was viewing, and whether Blackrider's ad was active for that IP. (Which in turn would require knowing how the GDP decides which ad to activate on each screen load - whether it's random or a predictable rotation. If each ad has equal likelihood of loading, we'd at least have a factor to work with [but when the ad went up, there were fewer sponsors than today's 8, so we'd need an algorithm to average the appearance over time].)

Just to get some number, I assumed the ad went live in 2006 (which is when I think this version of the site appeared), so 13 years ago. And I'm pretending I loaded a page showing the ad on that day, and have left it up since.

In that case, the G has rocked 423,633,600 times.

Which is a little disappointing. If you had traveled a mile for every time it rocked - which works out to 3,720 mph - you wouldn't even be to Jupiter yet. You'd have 60,166,400 miles to go.

So keep on rockin'.

– Proteus

Interesting post, kinda reminds me of rainbows, how many people see the rainbow? ONE, no two people can see the same one. Move a fraction of an inch and you have a different rainbow due to light refraction!

kinda reminds me of rainbows, how many people see the rainbow? ONE, no two people can see the same one. Move a fraction of an inch and you have a different rainbow due to light refraction!

Sometimes, you can get the same effect with a second toke, too (or so they tell me)

I'm procrastinating against other work. Unfortunately, this only took about 15 minutes. I'm looking for something else to do now.

– Proteus

I know I've gone round the "avoid doing that which you don't want to do" bend when I consider cleaning out the fridge, or mopping the kitchen floor, again.

I have spent an inordinate amount of time pondering this today and determined that it is unknowable for multiple reasons and that mystery somehow comforts me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation