About the Gretsch Pages

25th Anniversary

Congratulations, Tim and THANK YOU for all your hard work and dedication!! 25 years is a HUGE accomplishment.

I stumbled onto this site somewhere around 1996-97 shortly after getting my first home computer. My love of Gretsch guitars started in the early/mid 1950's and never ceased. So, armed with a new computer and trying to learn how to "search" the web -- the "hard way", pre-Google -- my first venture was in quest of Gretsch guitars. That brought me here, I was a lurker for the first 1-3 years.....

Over the 20+ years since then, the volume of knowledge these eyes scanned has been enormous. I just wish this brain had the capacity to retain it all. Like others -- lots of new friendships and help have occurred. Some serious cash has parted my company as I learned about so many pieces of gear -- wonderful guitars, amps, pedals, strings, straps...... Too many to list or count.

Thank you, Tim!! Hats off to you for a job very well done and for all the enjoyment and help you have provided for so many people!

Congrats Tim B. and all who come here! 25 years sure has gone quickly!

This site has cost me a lot of money. Just saying.

Thanks, Bax. I've met the best people here, and had too much fun with youse guys at the RoundUps.

Thanks, Tim, for everything you do and have done. The Beauty (layout and design choices) and Wisdom (the Great Pumpkin decree) and mostly for caring about Gretsch guitars a bit more than MG's and Russ Meyer movies. Here's to 25 more years!

To all folks NOT named Baxter:

Many/most of you may have already done this...... But just in case -- A 25th Anniversary sounds like a good time for a Donation...... Just sayin'.........

Wow, 25 years - you should be very proud, Tim.

I've been here since 2001 I think, a couple of months before I bought my first Gretsch from Cad Green. I came here around the time Zak was goading Deed into getting Duane to appear in person. In fact, I think my first post was a direct question to Duane during that time.

I've made some fantastic friends here over the years; Richard, Walter, FleTch, Greg, Rhys, and many many more. My time on the GDP has allowed me to broaden my knowledge of the marque, even to the point of starting up an online outlet, which in turn has opened up some fascinating opportunities, allowing me to serve and meet some very high profile people and even visit the US for the first time to attend the '11 Round-Up (a week that Mrs Deke and I will never forget).

Sincere thanks for all you've done, Tim. For me personally it has been a life-changer.

Tim, thanks for the wonderful place that the GDP is.

I came here 10 years ago now. I know that because I got a new guitar ( a Gretsch) when my daughter was born. I know it has been over 10 years as my daughter turns 11 in a few days - something she keeps reminding me about!

I remember my first post was about a buzzing G string (that was the thread title!) I was experiencing on my Pro jet. The conversation quickly went down the gutter though I thought asking about a guitar string on a guitar forum would garner sensible responses about high frets or something else, not garments worn under clothes!

Thanks for the memories!

Congrats Tim,25 years is impressive sir!

I came here after getting my first computer,2005,i know,but i'm a Luddite!

I'm still using that same computer too,and yes,it's sloooow!

Congratulations Tim, and THANK YOU! Like others, I've learned a lot and made dear friends through the GDP. I've also run a forum and I know how much brain damage it can be, so a special thank you for all you do!

Thanks Baxter! Because of the GDP I have made some great friends and become a better player. It's because of you that I have also spent thousands on gear. Overall this place has made my life a better place.

Thank you sir.

And here I was feeling proud that I've been a member here for 12 years (as of yesterday) and it doesn't even cover half of the time the GDP has been around.

Thanks, Tim, for making it available and for making it excellent.

Wow. This just made me realize I have been hanging around here for TEN years. There have been births and deaths and adoptions; marriages and divorces with both humans and guitars that just didn’t work out; retirements and new businesses and products launched. I had a lot of laughs and probably even got a little teary eyed once or twice. I learned a lot about guitars and amps and musicians I never knew about and squandered a bunch of time I should have spent with a guitar in my hands instead of my phone. And most importantly I have witnessed first hand the value of saying something worth reading and not being a jerk. Thanks Tim, for all the work that keeps this great little community going.

Quite an achievement, Bax! Congratulations! I recall lurking here early on, looking for information to get my first Gretsch, and ended up making new friends. Like many others, I check in most every day.

Thanks again for all you do, Tim!

Congratulations Bax! A fantastic and very worthy venture, embarked upon 25 years ago and still going strong.

As a relative noob, with just 11 years attendance at our virtual self help meetings “”Hello. My name is Greg and I’m a Gretschaholic”, I can’t claim to have been shoulder to shoulder with the pioneers of the GDP in exploring the strange new territory that was the internet back in the 90s but I have discovered so much since I stumbled unkempt and incoherent out of the wilderness and tagged along with this intrepid crew.

As with most of the folks here I have made some fast friendships in my time with the GDP, and I seem to have accrued quite a collection of Gretsch guitars (no idea how that happened), but the biggest impact that the pages have had on me is the inspiration and encouragement to actually play guitar. Before I joined, I was a ‘regular Joe’ who noodled around at home with a few cowboy chords on a guitar which I’d owned for years but, in truth, barely knew. Now, still a ‘regular Joe’, But also a regular gigging musician, touring internationally and recording albums. A certain Paul Pigat deserves the most credit for helping me get started, but the GDP was absolutely instrumental (pun marginally unintended) in shaping my guitar playing career.

Thanks for creating this great site Bax and thanks to all of the GDP members for creating such a great community.

Hope I’m around for the 50th anniversary!

Happy New year and congratulations with the 25th anniversary.
What an amazing place you have created and basically have let happen. That’s the great thing about this. It all happened because you let it happen and that is very special.
So much knowledge and so many friendships have come from this place. I would never have expected that when I joined long ago. Here’s to the next 25 years!

Wow, congratulations and thanks a lot for creating this beautiful place. I bought my my first Gretsch in 1997 but had no access to the mighty internet at that time. That changed in the late 90's or early 2000's and I think that's when I signed up for the first time. I lost my login for this site and lost my email address, so after lurking for a while I signed up again in 2012.

I have learned a LOT here, thanks to various very helpful members! This place gives me continuous GAS and has cost me a lot of money, haha. Also I spend more time reading stuff here then actually playing guitar. Through this place I have made nice friends and met cool people. I still check in on a daily basis, and wouldn't want to miss it.

Now, shouldn't Gretsch release a "The Gretsch Pages ANNIVERSARY Gretsch"? I'd say that would be the right thing to do after 25 years of free advertisement, haha. So what specs, and more importantly, what color scheme do we want this GDP-Annie model to be?

Just in case you weren't kidding Mike2000...click here Not an Anny but certainly GDP worthy.

Just in case you weren't kidding Mike2000...click here Not an Anny but certainly GDP worthy.

– Suprdave

Haha, I kind of was being a smart*ss and was jokingly referring to that thread, but I totally forgot that the 25th anniversary was mentioned there. We need that GDP Jet AND a two tone GPD Anniversary!

This site has been an integral part of my life for a long time. I believe I first joined in 96 or 97. It was pretty cool back then and the WWW was in its infancy.

Meeting so many cool people who are as passionate about Gretsch as I am has been a true blessing. I had often enough dreamed of a book that was only about 6120s. Then Ed said “what do you think about a book on 6120s?” I loved every minute of watching that project come to life.

the guitar knowledge I’ve amassed via so many truly cool cats here is , well, something else.

Thanks sooooo much Baxter.

This site has been an integral part of my life for a long time. I believe I first joined in 96 or 97. It was pretty cool back then and the WWW was in its infancy.

Meeting so many cool people who are as passionate about Gretsch as I am has been a true blessing. I had often dreamed of a book that was only about 6120s. Then Ed said “what do you think about a book on 6120s?” I loved every minute of watching that project come to life.

the guitar knowledge I’ve amassed via so many truly cool cats here is , well, something else.

Thanks sooooo much Baxter.

Well done, Tim, well done. Thank you for all your hard work through the years.

Many thanks from me as well, Tim!

Btw, do you have a picture of what the GDP looked like when it was launched? I'd love to see that.

Ooo, an ancient screenshot would be nostalgic.

I found this place in the fall of 2004 when I googled the serial of my first Gretsch. I've mostly stayed pretty quiet since I generally don't feel I know more than anyone else. That said, I've learnt LOTS here and appreciate that a LOT.

Which, sadly, reminds me that my donations haven't been where they should be in 2019. Hmmm....

Anyway, thanks, Bax!

Edit: I remember uttering a big, fat & curious WTF when Proteus entered from stage left

Register Sign in to join the conversation